Please Help.. How is Util batter used ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Please Help.. How is Util batter used ?

Please Help.. How is Util batter used ?

Postby BigD_95 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Im completely new at this and we are starting this up at work with 8 guys. I got stuck running it but no one has a idea how this works.

What is the ** All Batters ( Util ) *** mean? Does that mean we draft a DH? Do they play every game?

The 5 (BN ) guys. Should you draft a player to back up each infield? 1b,2nd base, SS, 3rd, and 1 out fielder?

This is a H2H
BigD_95
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please Help.. How is Util batter used ?

Postby Poke » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Well, in most leagues, a Util spot can be used by any offensive player. Say you happen to have two stud first basemen. You only have one 1B spot to play both of them. You can put the other in the Util slot to get production out of him. It's kind of like the DH, except in most leagues you don't have to have a DH-only player there.

As far as bench spots, depending on how many you have I would usually try to do what you said except when it comes to catchers. In most cases you won't get enough production to warrant keeping a backup around. I try to have one backup of each infield position, and two outfielders. Obviously I have to have guys that are eligible in multiple positions.

Hope this helps.
Poke
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Please Help.. How is Util batter used ?

Postby BrooklynBums » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 am

As for bench players, if you're in a standard 21 player/team league, the 5 bench spots are for hitters and pitchers combined. I would recommend that at most you use three of these for hitters. I don't have any hard numbers, but it seems easier to find competent hitting on the WW than it is to find reliable pitching. Hence its better IMHO to use bench spots for pitchers. The only time when I would load up on bench hitters is if you have a starter who is injury-prone or plays sporadically (Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey, etc).

I play mostly roto though so it might be a little different for H2H. Also I've noticed there's no "super-utility" player this year that's really worth owning in shallower leagues (ie someone with 3 position eligibilities like BJ Upton or Chone Figgins last year). Braun, Atkins, Swisher, and Berkman are really the only sluggers with multiple eligibility, which bumps them up a little in drafts.
BrooklynBums
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Beginner's Forum