Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez to make Reds rotation... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez to make Reds rotation...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez to make Reds rotation...

Postby JoshExley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:04 pm

DetroitTigers wrote:What do you guys really feel about Volquez. If you look at his #'s from the past couple season, they really aren't that good...

So does that mean a guy can't improve over the winter?
He's a different pitcher right now, ST or not. He went through the Phils starting lineup, not in one start, but in two starts. They have seen him a couple times through and they could barely do anything against him. I think if he's harnessed his control, he'll be an excellent reward for those who got him late or off the wire.
Talked to some contacts of mine in Cincy and even though they've soured on the team for different reasons, they have been upbeat about Volquez, moreso than Cueto.

With that ballpark, it's tough to see him with an ERA below 4, but he could win 12-15 games and rack up 150K.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheDooner64 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 am

JoshExley wrote:
DetroitTigers wrote:What do you guys really feel about Volquez. If you look at his #'s from the past couple season, they really aren't that good...

So does that mean a guy can't improve over the winter?
He's a different pitcher right now, ST or not. He went through the Phils starting lineup, not in one start, but in two starts. They have seen him a couple times through and they could barely do anything against him. I think if he's harnessed his control, he'll be an excellent reward for those who got him late or off the wire.
Talked to some contacts of mine in Cincy and even though they've soured on the team for different reasons, they have been upbeat about Volquez, moreso than Cueto.

With that ballpark, it's tough to see him with an ERA below 4, but he could win 12-15 games and rack up 150K.

Plus he used to pitch in Texas, and now he's in the AL. I picked him up off free agency.
TheDooner64
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sandlotshrink » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 am

While both have shown good/great potential this spring, let's temper expectations because they are young and pitch in the home run friendly Synergy Field.
sandlotshrink
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am

Definately grab Volquez if he's available but temper your expectations. From what I understand, he was a big-time prospect in the Rangers organization but had problems with control and the long ball. He's at about the right age when SP can "click" and he has shown better control in ST. If that carries over into the regular season, he'll post some solid numbers. Beyond that, anyone who has 26K, 4 BB, and 0 HR through 20 IP (even in ST) is worth a shot in my book.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Montana168 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:02 pm

when do u guys think cueto will be added to the yahoo database?? i mean that add a couple players a day who have barely any talent, yet they won't add a kid who has had a very impressive spring and is most likely going to make the starting rotation?? i really don't get their philosophy...he is available in every other leagues except yahoo.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheDooner64 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Montana168 wrote:when do u guys think cueto will be added to the yahoo database?? i mean that add a couple players a day who have barely any talent, yet they won't add a kid who has had a very impressive spring and is most likely going to make the starting rotation?? i really don't get their philosophy...he is available in every other leagues except yahoo.

I think with huge prospects they wait for the word to get out a bit so people are forced to use their waiver....kinda of a balance thing. But I don't really know.
TheDooner64
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hanram33 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Was the hype on Bailey this big last year as it is on Cueto where fantasy owners are waiting and refreshing on a minute to minute basis of their Yahoo page hoping Yahoo adds him?
hanram33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Field » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:09 pm

hanram33 wrote:Was the hype on Bailey this big last year as it is on Cueto where fantasy owners are waiting and refreshing on a minute to minute basis of their Yahoo page hoping Yahoo adds him?

Yes. But Bailey was more of a mid-season thing if I recall correctly.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sandman042 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:32 pm

in one of those yahoo articles it talks about cueto ands says to be added as early as "early next week". u never know w/ yahoo so expect it around sunday and on...
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DetroitTigers » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:04 pm

So would you guys pick up Volquez over Cueto?? He does have more major league experience and may be more mature as a pitcher. Or does Cueto's upside outweight Volquez's??
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates