Who are the TOP 15 Holds Guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the TOP 15 Holds Guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the TOP 15 Holds Guys?

Postby sliders51 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:49 am

How bout Mark Lowe from Seattle? He could be the 7th/8th inning guy to set up Putz. He killed for me at the end of the 2006 season. Missed the 2007 due to injury. Not sure how he looks this spring though. He's my sleeper if he's 100%.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 am

sliders51 wrote:How bout Mark Lowe from Seattle? He could be the 7th/8th inning guy to set up Putz. He killed for me at the end of the 2006 season. Missed the 2007 due to injury. Not sure how he looks this spring though. He's my sleeper if he's 100%.

Definitely looks like someone to keep an eye...my list was pretty quick and dirty and I could easily have missed some people. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bmd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:55 am

Who do you think will provide more holds this season - Brian Fuentes, Jon Rauch, or Jeremy Accardo?
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:36 pm

bmd wrote:Who do you think will provide more holds this season - Brian Fuentes, Jon Rauch, or Jeremy Accardo?

In terms of holds along, I'd say Rauch, Fuentes, Accardo.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Bogey9906 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 pm

fezzik wrote:I recently drafted a league that counted holds...here is my top 20 or so:

J. Broxton
R. Betancourt
H. Bell
B. Howry
H. Okajima
J. Rauch
P. Neshek
A. Heilman
S. Downs
C. Qualls
T. Pena
S. Shields
C. Marmol
R. Perez
M. Delcarmen
J. Speier
P. Feliciano
J. Miller
R. Springer
D. Marte
J. Burton
M. Lindstrom

There you go...that list got me Downs, Delcarmen, Feliciano, and Miller...I'm fine with that...4 guys who I ranked to be in the top 20...more than my fair share in a 12 team league. Hope the list helps. ;-D

Move guys around as you see fit of course...or as setup situations change.

Why no Brian Fuentes? You've got two Cubs, two Red Sox, two Mets and two Angels who will be sharing holds, but not the one clear set-up man for the Rockies, who happens to be an established closer. He pitched well down the stretch (regular season) and doesn't seem to be complaining about losing the closer role, so shouldn't he be a solid choice for Holds? GTWMA hasn't said much about him either. Have I missed something about Fuentes?
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Fuentes should definitely be on my list...somewhere around Pena and Qualls...I noted that my list was pretty quick and dirty, so there may be oversights...but at least it's something to look at and compare with your own thoughts.

Holds is probably the most difficult category to accurately predict...plenty of others options in FA will develop as managers become more confident in certain members of their staff and start utilizing them differently. My best advice would be to keep an eye on how managers are using their bullpens. The fact that I have two guys from one team and none from another doesn't mean much...most likely one's a lefty and one's a righty, both with solid ratios, both shown to have gotten opportunities for holds in '07, both on the same team this year and appearing to be in the same role...but as I said, a lot of things can change during the course of a season in regard to setup men.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Bogey9906 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:47 pm

fezzik wrote:Fuentes should definitely be on my list...somewhere around Pena and Qualls...I noted that my list was pretty quick and dirty, so there may be oversights...but at least it's something to look at and compare with your own thoughts.

Thanks for the reply. It's a solid list, I was just wondering if you were specifically excluding Fuentes for some reason I'm not aware of. I got Heilman, Fuentes and Delcarmen, along with M Gonzalez to stash on the DL, so I should be in good shape for Holds in my 12-teamer too.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Fuentes is fine, and I do mention him in my Holds 2008 thread. Because it's Coors, the downside is that his ERA is likely to be a little higher than the top tier guys. And, I think he has less of a secure position than you do. There's a reason the Rockies signed Vizcaino to a 2 year contract (though he has stunk it up this spring). And Bowie, Speier, or Ramirez all could challenge for that primary set up spot.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby markj11 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 pm

I just started a thread regarding how many MR you need in a Holds league http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=329043

I guess I should have asked here where the holds experts are.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sliders51 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 pm

fezzik wrote:
sliders51 wrote:How bout Mark Lowe from Seattle? He could be the 7th/8th inning guy to set up Putz. He killed for me at the end of the 2006 season. Missed the 2007 due to injury. Not sure how he looks this spring though. He's my sleeper if he's 100%.

Definitely looks like someone to keep an eye...my list was pretty quick and dirty and I could easily have missed some people. ;-D

Looks like my sleeper Mark Lowe just picked up some decent fantasy value. Not a sleeper anymore!!
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers