Who are the TOP 15 Holds Guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the TOP 15 Holds Guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who are the TOP 15 Holds Guys?

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Any recent news on Zumaya... I drafted him around a month ago not knowing he was out for half the year... Any updates??
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:I haven't seen a top 10 anywhere... and I would really like to know what you guys think... so any input of other top 10-15's would be greatly appreciated for me as well.

1 Carlos Mármol - Really think the job is Kerry Wood's to lose right now... incentive-based rumors / Marmol's ability to close out crucial 7-8th innings.
2 Jonathan Broxton - Not the biggest fan... but K's don't lie of how good he can be.
3 Rafael Betancourt - Closer in waiting with electric stuff.
4 Scot Shields - Really wanted him in the draft as I expect rebound, but just missed him.
5 Heath Bell - Another guy I don't trust yet as he's only had one strong year... but #s are too good to ignore as well.
6 Pat Neshek - But, I have a feeling MLB may finally catch up to his delivery/stuff this year.
6 Hideki Okajima / Declaremen - Two headed monster with tons of opps to set up Paps.
7 Aaron Heilman / Duaner Sanchez - Another two-headed monster that can rack up a ton of holds..
8 Scott Linebrink - New start to regain greatness.
10 - Joey Devine - My surprise pick to be a stud this year! Hyped up in Atlanta and with Doosh to the rotation, he can be primary setup for Street.

I wouldn't put Marmol, Sheilds, Linebrink or Devine in my top 10. Broxton and Betancourt are 1/2 imo. Pena, Rauch, Speier, Bell, and Heilman would be next for me. Okajima, Qualls, Neshek would round it out. I like Chris Schroder as a deep sleeper. Accardo, Delcarmen, and Justin Miller would be sleepers.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:14 am

Agree on dropping Linebrink, Devine (might not make the A's) ... not so sure about Shields or Marmol. Marmol could be a fast riser... while Shields could still get 20 holds.

Chris Schroder huh? I doubted you on Accardo last year... maybe I'll try Schroder this year. You think he'll pitch ahead of Ayala? It seems like Ayala/Rauch/Cordero should be the 7/8/9 w/ King as LOOGY.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:13 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I like Chris Schroder as a deep sleeper.

Nice one. I had to look him up and wondered how the hell I missed that quality performance?
1 hold in '07 that's why. He must have been mop-up.
Nice pick Agnes I'll keep a close eye on him ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:11 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Agree on dropping Linebrink, Devine (might not make the A's) ... not so sure about Shields or Marmol. Marmol could be a fast riser... while Shields could still get 20 holds.

Chris Schroder huh? I doubted you on Accardo last year... maybe I'll try Schroder this year. You think he'll pitch ahead of Ayala? It seems like Ayala/Rauch/Cordero should be the 7/8/9 w/ King as LOOGY.

Shields' slide has been slow enough that he could get those 20+ holds and be valuable. But, he's just not the slam dunk he was. I can just as easily see the implosion occur and Speier step in to take over.

My concern with Marmol is that he's on a knife edge. A little slippage in that BB/9 and HR/9 rate (since he's a FB pitcher) and we're talking some of those multi-run meltdowns that lead to month long managerial doghouses. That kind of profile in Wrigley worries me. The good news is that Howry has flat out stunk in ST, so the door is open for Marmol to set up Wood.

Schoder's a guy I'm not drafting, but I am putting him on my watch list. As you can see, he's a real quality pitcher. The downside is that he is a FB pitcher and we don't know what the new stadium will play like. But, his K and BB rates are awesome, so the occasional solo HR does not bother me as much.

Ayala's an injury risk, of course. And rumors are again flying that Cordero will be traded as he has one more arb year. I can see Schoder getting some low leverage opportunities through June/July, and then stepping in to primary set-up mid year.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Red for life » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:37 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Crystalstorm wrote:I know not that many people use this catagory,but those who do,please help.I'm to lazy to do the research(homework).I know of Bell SD,Broxton LA,Scot Shields(Slowing down some?)and a few others,But who are some sleepers at this position,and great Hold guys to own? My draft is in 5 days.

If you just click on the link BigHort gave you, you will find my list of top holders (on page 1), links to two other lists on the web (Sportsfanatics and MLB Front Office, both on page 2), and a 6 page discussion of the topic.

It doesn't get much easier than that, and if that's too much work for you, I suggest you look into employment as a mattress tester.

I got a pm from crystalstorm and he stated he is too lazy to actually draft his team and wanted a volunteer to do so. Anybody?
Red for life
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Red for life wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Crystalstorm wrote:I know not that many people use this catagory,but those who do,please help.I'm to lazy to do the research(homework).I know of Bell SD,Broxton LA,Scot Shields(Slowing down some?)and a few others,But who are some sleepers at this position,and great Hold guys to own? My draft is in 5 days.

If you just click on the link BigHort gave you, you will find my list of top holders (on page 1), links to two other lists on the web (Sportsfanatics and MLB Front Office, both on page 2), and a 6 page discussion of the topic.

It doesn't get much easier than that, and if that's too much work for you, I suggest you look into employment as a mattress tester.

I got a pm from crystalstorm and he stated he is too lazy to actually draft his team and wanted a volunteer to do so. Anybody?

Sorry, it's my nap time.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:07 pm

ok guys... so who are some holders i can rely on... anybody have a top 5+ or so??? i'm in a holds league and am looking for guys to add... holds seems a lot harder to find this year than previous years... all i have on my team right now is zumaya and wood (who i am actually hoping gets the closer role)
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:ok guys... so who are some holders i can rely on... anybody have a top 5+ or so??? i'm in a holds league and am looking for guys to add... holds seems a lot harder to find this year than previous years... all i have on my team right now is zumaya and wood (who i am actually hoping gets the closer role)

My five would be Broxton, Betancourt, Rauch, Heilman, and Bell.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby fezzik » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:18 am

I recently drafted a league that counted holds...here is my top 20 or so:

J. Broxton
R. Betancourt
H. Bell
B. Howry
H. Okajima
J. Rauch
P. Neshek
A. Heilman
S. Downs
C. Qualls
T. Pena
S. Shields
C. Marmol
R. Perez
M. Delcarmen
J. Speier
P. Feliciano
J. Miller
R. Springer
D. Marte
J. Burton
M. Lindstrom

There you go...that list got me Downs, Delcarmen, Feliciano, and Miller...I'm fine with that...4 guys who I ranked to be in the top 20...more than my fair share in a 12 team league. Hope the list helps. ;-D

Move guys around as you see fit of course...or as setup situations change.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers