H2H Draft, How'd I End Up??? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

H2H Draft, How'd I End Up??? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Draft, How'd I End Up??? WHIR

Postby tvaldivi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 am

Just drafted this team, it's a H2H points league 16 teams. Daily lineups start 1 at every position 3 OF, 2 Util, 4 Pitchers every day.

Round (Pick)

1(5) J Reyes
2 (28) M Ordonez
3(37) J Morneau,
4 (60) C Pena,
5 (69) J Smoltz,
6 (92) A Beltre,
7 (101) B Myers,
8 (124) J Nathan,
9 (133) J Lackey (auto picked),
10 (156) A Rowand,
11 (165) M Ellis,
12 (188) C Billingsley,
13 (197) J Williingham,
14 (220) J Valverde,
15 (229) H Bell,
16 (252) F Sanchez,
17 (261) J Guthrie,
18 (284) G Matthews,
19 (293) B Molina,
20 (316) R Betancourt,
21 (325) E Chavez,
22 (348) D Barton,
23 (357) J Sanchez,
24 (380) J Bergmann,
25 (389) J Wilson,
26 (412) F Morales,
27 (421) D Navarro,
28 (444) Jacque Jones,
29 (453) A Sonnanstine,
30 (476) J Gathright

How do you think I did? How's my team overall? Where did I get good value and what was horrible picks?
tvaldivi
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: H2H Draft, How'd I End Up??? WHIR

Postby ILoveBush » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:43 am

I dont have a whole lot of experience with H2H leagues, but ill give my thoughts.

Im not sure I like Mark Ellis at 165, but im guessing your options were limited.

I like the Myers pick a lot, and the Lackey pick COULD be a steal if he comes back healthy in a month. lets hope so. Billingsley also seems like good value. Valverde sticks out at 220, but im guessing that RPs are as valuable as SPers.

I like the Barton pick, dont really like the e chavez pick.

Hard for me to comment on the overall quality of your team.

please help:
viewtopic.php?t=327888
Dave not George W
ILoveBush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tvaldivi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:26 pm

Bump
tvaldivi
College Coach
College Coach

Postby candyman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 pm

I don't think I like Pena at 60 or Beltre at 92... Pena will not put up the numbers he did last year, and you already had Morneau one round earlier. But you do have two UTIL spots to fill so maybe it'll work out. I just don't feel like Beltre is a starting 3B even in a 16 teamer... I like Myers this year though and Lackey could add a big boost to your team down the road...

Post your lineup though... I'll come back and give a better opinion of your team... I't just a lot more work when I have to piece your lineup together from your draft :-D

Help me out?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=327996
candyman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby totalair32 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Solid Team.

Love Jose Reyes at 5 and Morneau in the 3rd.

I like Lackey at 9 and Barton at 22, both could be great value pick, especially if Barton shows that his power in call up in September was no fluke.

Chavy could be solid if he makes sure he's healty.

I really don't like taking Smoltz and Beltre as early as you did. I feel that there might have better talent available, and with some high risk reward fillers to be had at those positions later on in the draft.

Where did Longoria and Hughes go? I might have preferred to wait for them at later rounds and take the best available talent.

All in all though, I think you did a nice job.

How's mine look? viewtopic.php?t=328017
totalair32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Torr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Getting Reyes at 5 was very nice, because it allows you to focus on other categories besides steals. At 28 Ordonez is probably worth it, though I would have tried to grab an infield position if they weren't all gone. Young promising batters often get thrown into the outfield so I devalue the position, but if he was the best batter there then that's cool. I kinda like Pena to keep the power going this year, and Morneau was a nice pick-up.

With 4 pitchers a day and 16 teams, great pitchers tend to get averaged out. Are there min innings in this league? Anyway, for that reason I would have held off on pitching until about 150-ish. With that being said, Smoltz and Lackey aren't too bad as a pitching core in a 16-man, even if Lackey doesn't make it back until mid-May.

Hard to judge your late picks without knowing who was left for you to choose. Just looking at it without doing the math (if Pena produces) I think you have some strength in the power categories and Stolen Bases, though I'm not completely sure if your Batting Average is top-notch. I would compare your average to the rest of the league (you don't have too many players who will absolutely kill you in average so you may be alright). Overall you're pretty decent for the start of the season.
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby play4awin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I agree with a lot of what Candyman said. I dont like your Pena pick at all again since you took a 1st baseman one round earlier. There had to be a better position player to pick there.

Also would have liked to see what happened around the Maggs pick because like Torr said another INF position would have been nice before jumping to the OF.

Hope the Lackey picks works for you.
play4awin
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1swift » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I like the early part of your draft a lot more than the the middle and end..but that can be said about most peoples draft especially in large leauges like yours.

good thing with large leageus is there is usually a lot of player movement and you've got anice core of SB and power and probably not hte best pitching but i doubt you have the worst from top to bottom either...just guessing on what your team is compared to the rest of the league id give the overall draft a B or so...just a few tweeks here or there to solidify and then theres the lackey question

viewtopic.php?t=327882
1swift
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tvaldivi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Here was my thought process on the Pena pick. In this league there is unique scoring. It's a H2H points league on cbs so you have the normal 1 point for a single, 2 points double etc. But you also have a few defensive categories like 1 point for every double play turned, 4 points for an outfield assist. I figured double plays turned occur much more frequently and easier to predict than outfield assists. For that reason I wanted to get a first basemen who is always involved in a double play turned to be my utility. Pena was the last good first basemen available that I really liked to fill this utility role.

Here are people that were picked after Pena, let me know if you see anybody that is much better than Pena that you would have rather had: Carmona, Papelbon, C Jones, Uggla, Tejada, Putz, Thome, Kinsler, Smoltz, T Hunter, Ichiro, T Helton, Felix Hernandez, Konerko, Penny, Zimmerman, Markakis, Pence, Francoeur, M Young
tvaldivi
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 pm

I like your top 5 a lot, and your pitching could wind up really good. I see you contending in ERA/WHIP, since you managed to nab both Betancourt and Bell. Even with his injury, Lackey shouldn't fall that far in the draft. In such a huge league with a ton of relatively unpredictable players, your main anchors and heavy hitters are important, and yours cover everything.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team