Rockies 2nd base situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rockies 2nd base situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rockies 2nd base situation

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:22 pm

How is it playing out? Is Giles the front runner? If so how does he look? What about Baker or Stewart?
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies 2nd base situation

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:27 pm

and jayson nix....

whoever wins this job will be pretty valuable, unless of course they platoon.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:44 am

I expect Nix to win the job out of spring training. Ian Stewart's defense at 2nd is awful and will cost him the chance to be a big power guy at 2nd.

Nix only has three hits in ST, but two of them have been homeruns and he has drawn six walks. Giles has actually been the most productive thus far - but I'd be surprised if he gets the nod.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:46 am

I say it is Giles but only because I desperately need a 2B and I have him on my bench. Nix isn't hitting so my guess is he starts in AAA, after him it seems to be pretty much up for grabs.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Big Train » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 am

To my knowledge Stewart is the only one of the bunch who still has options so I'm guessing he gets sent down. I would love to see Baker get the job outright but I think the article below sums up the situation best: Nix's defence will probably win out.

Best guess: Nix at second, Morales fourth starter
by Patrick Saunders on March 15, 2008
Denver Post

Surprise, Ariz. –

It’s cloak and dagger time in the desert.

With the regular-season opener just 16 days away, the Rockies have still not made it clear who will be their starting second baseman, or their fourth or fifth starter. Don’t even ask about the bullpen. That’s a pretty murky place right now.

Don’t get me wrong. I think both Dan O’Dowd and Clint Hurdle know how things will shake out, they just aren’t telling us.

Given that, here’s my attempt to answer some of the pressing questions of spring training:

Although I think Jeff Baker deserves to start at second, my guess is that Jayson Nix, the former first-round pick, will be there on opening day. Baker and Clint Barmes will get playing time at second, too, but I think Hurdle loves Nix defense too much to sit him. Plus, Nix is out of options and the Rockies want to give him a real shot to succeed or fail.

Unless he blows up again like he did Friday against Seattle, Franklin Morales will be the fourth starter. The Rockies fell in love with him last fall during the stretch run to the World Series and are willing to live with his growing pains.

With Jason Hirsh sidelined with a strained right shoulder, the fifth starter spot truly is wide open. The next two starts by Kip Wells, Josh Towers and Mark Redman will determine who wins the job. If I had to take a guess, I think Towers or Redman gets the job and Wells ends up in the pen. I think Wells’ tedious pace on the mound hampers the defense behind him. That could be a factor.

We’ll see how it all shakes out.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers