I Need Advice!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Need Advice!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Need Advice!!!!!!

Postby Athleticfanatic » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:52 pm

I'm in a league that is full of experienced vets. This is my second year doing fantasy baseball. Our draft is in a week. I need all the advice or tips I can get.

Any help would be great, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Athleticfanatic

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby sigtaulefty » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:56 pm

Have fun. If it's not a money league, have fun. It's the only way you'll learn and gain experience on your own. Listening to other players will get you so far, in the end if you're not enjoying yourself, you'll stop playing.
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:59 pm

Click on Cheet Sheets and study away.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:48 pm

Spend as much time here as you can and if you have any questions feel free to ask. There arealot of people around here who will help you all they can.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:03 pm

kentx12 wrote:Spend as much time here as you can and if you have any questions feel free to ask. There arealot of people around here who will help you all they can.

Sounds good to me... B-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby baseball genius » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Hit the cafe as much as possible, there are a lot of baseball freaks on this site who have some very useful tips to give out. Also, I think you should look at as many mock drafts and cheat sheats as you can.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:19 am

Study, study, study. ESPN's top 200 is a good starting point for cheatsheets. You can view some mocks there in progress.

I've always kind of had a disdain for participating in mock drafts, but doing them (or looking at several) will give you some good insight to where players are going.
Have a plan after you know what pick you have. If it's top 3, you are set with A-Rod, Soriano, or Pujols. After that, it gets a little tougher. I like grabbing hitters, or the ELITE SP's like Prior, Pedro (around 6-10) or if you grab a hitter first round grab a Schilling or Johnson (Schil should be solid, Randy is getting old...but I can't pass him up mid to late 2nd round).

DON'T stock up on pitching early. Take 2 SP's in the first 4-5 rounds, then grab hitters. It seems to me that more unknown pitchers contribute than unknown hitters. Last year I grabbed Willis and Webb. Gil Meche would have been a boost to any squad. Hitters are more predictable IMO. Stock up on them, anchor your SP with a couple SP's in the first 4-5 rounds.

Last year I targeted Prior as my first SP to select and took him at the end of the 3rd round. I waited until only one of my top-shelf SP's remained before taking him in the 6th round (Halladay). Yeah I got a little lucky that they both had huge years, but I planned my work and worked my plan. It paid off. I don't think I grabbed another SP until about round 10 or so, when I grabbed Woody Williams. Again some luck involved, some work - Woody had been a stud as a Card and I drafted him on that basis. Waiting on all these SP's allowed me to grab Pujols (stud), Berkman (good, not great year), Sheffield.

I had some bad picks...AJ Burnett for one, but finding SP's on the wire over the course of the year is not too difficult. Grab the young gun that impresses of the free agent pool early - don't be afraid to dump that late round stiff you had hopes for.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers