2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR)

Postby daniel80111 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:02 am

I really like the potential on your team. With guys like Rios, Chris Young, Weeks, one of these guys can end up performing like a 2nd 3rd rounder. The only thing is I am not too sure about Renteria at SS. I've never been a fan of his inconsistency, and although he plays on a great team, I'm still concerned. You have a lot of guys that have history of injury issues which does worry me. I think your team can have a great year, or can completely flop, but that's not a bad coin flip.

I love the Lincecum pick. You might want to upgrade your starting pitching though, because I think a lot of the backup starting pitchers you have on your bench have a greater probability to fail rather than breakthrough this year. I think Wang's value is as high as it gets right now and is only bound to get worse, especially if anything happens to his wins this year. Haha not to mention he is asian(I'm Korean), when asians get some money they tend to be happy with their progress ala Chan Ho Park. ;-D :-t
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redwings122 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:22 am

Your MI spot, like everyone said, is weak. I like your SP a little more than what was said above. Wainwright should be solid if you have SP injury concerns. I think CZam will be sweet this year, and Lincecum will improve. Wang's stats will remain what they have been. So your SP staff is solid. Once the season starts, if Liriano is productive, I would try to sell him high for a quality player to fill your MI spot. I hope Liriano will remain healthy all season, but who's not to say that he won't wear down later on.
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby r8rferg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 am

Pretty solid. If I were you I would move Pujols or Howard for a package including a very good MI and SP. I think you have a lot of young pitchers with upside but not all of them can be expected to max out their potential. I would prefer to see some more reliable and proven horses in the stable. Also might want to move Weeks or C. Young as both of them combined will affect your average. Overall, good job.
r8rferg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby King of the Mound » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:17 pm

r8rferg wrote:Pretty solid. If I were you I would move Pujols or Howard for a package including a very good MI and SP. I think you have a lot of young pitchers with upside but not all of them can be expected to max out their potential. I would prefer to see some more reliable and proven horses in the stable. Also might want to move Weeks or C. Young as both of them combined will affect your average. Overall, good job.

I disagree. Hold on to your two main source of power. Packaging Pujos or Howard would be a lateral move at best. Your time is well balanced,your average however, will take a big hit. Can you package Giambi (your third first baseman) and Griffey (injury risk) for a solid MI?
King of the Mound Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:19 pm

While your MI is weak, I kinda like the Crosby pick. He's been hitting well in ST, and might be a surprise this year.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:10 pm

I was one pick away from getting Stephen Drew in the 16th. So I put MI off, and then a bunch of potential guys kept going. I had Crosby in the back of my mind as a potential value. He popped back into my head after reading Madison's article...

To add a fantasy spin to this, a player worth watching in Oakland is Bobby Crosby. Yes I’m aware of his injury history and I’m aware the lineup isn’t as potent, but someone’s got to score runs and drive runs in. I think Crosby will be a large piece of that. Let’s not forget that he did hit 22 home runs as a rookie, and did manage to steal 10 bases last season. If he can get his average into the .270 range like he did in his second year, a line of .270 with 20 home runs and 15 steals from your shortstop isn’t too shabby at all. And you can’t beat the price, I’m seeing him go undrafted in most leagues. He’s a gamble of course and I’m not saying to bank on him, but he’s got a better chance of putting up a more valuable line than some of the other players I’m seeing go in the final rounds of a lot of drafts.

But it's definitely a position I need to find an upgrade for.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby marlboro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:23 pm

Not bad at all. Howard, Pujols, Zambrano, and Rios are great considering the number of teams you have. Votto could be real good.

For MI, Crosby showed signs of greatness a few years ago and then just disappeared like the rest of the A's. This could be the year they flash some offense again.
marlboro
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Cafe League - 12 Teams - 5x5 - Roto

C- Kurt Suzuki (26)
1B- Ryan Howard (1)
2B- Rickie Weeks (6)
3B- Garrett Atkins (4)
SS- Edgar Renteria (8)
CI- Albert Pujols (2)
MI- Bobby Crosby (24)
OF- Alex Rios (3)
OF- Chris B. Young (5)
OF- Shane Victorino (9)
Utl- Ken Griffey Jr. (17)
B- Jack Cust (19)
B- Joey Votto (20)
B- Jason Giambi (22)
B- Chase Headley (25)

SP- Carlos Zambrano (7)
SP- Tim Lincecum (10)
RP- Joakim Soria (11)
RP- George Sherrill (14)
P- C.J. Wilson (15)
P- Heath Bell (18)
P- Jon Rauch (23)
B- Francisco Liriano (12)
B- Adam Wainwright (13)
B- Chien-Ming Wang (16)
B- Carlos Villanueva (21)
B- Shawn Hill (27)

I'm not too thrilled with this team. It was probably the toughest competition I've drafted against, and I wasn't really used to drafting such a deep roster (27 people).

I had the 10th pick out of 12. Took Howard in the 1st, and I really felt that I had to take Pujols when he fell to me at #15. I kept missing out on my targets for MI and wound up waiting really late and taking a flier on Crosby.

How do you think I did?

I actually think you did pretty well to be honest. Your only Glaring hole is SS, but if Crosby is healthy, you can get by. I like Weeks this year and I LOVE that you were able to get Pujols AND Howard. And I like you staff a lot. Good job man.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team