2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Cafe League - 12 Teams - 5x5 - Roto

C- Kurt Suzuki (26)
1B- Ryan Howard (1)
2B- Rickie Weeks (6)
3B- Garrett Atkins (4)
SS- Edgar Renteria (8)
CI- Albert Pujols (2)
MI- Bobby Crosby (24)
OF- Alex Rios (3)
OF- Chris B. Young (5)
OF- Shane Victorino (9)
Utl- Ken Griffey Jr. (17)
B- Jack Cust (19)
B- Joey Votto (20)
B- Jason Giambi (22)
B- Chase Headley (25)

SP- Carlos Zambrano (7)
SP- Tim Lincecum (10)
RP- Joakim Soria (11)
RP- George Sherrill (14)
P- C.J. Wilson (15)
P- Heath Bell (18)
P- Jon Rauch (23)
B- Francisco Liriano (12)
B- Adam Wainwright (13)
B- Chien-Ming Wang (16)
B- Carlos Villanueva (21)
B- Shawn Hill (27)

I'm not too thrilled with this team. It was probably the toughest competition I've drafted against, and I wasn't really used to drafting such a deep roster (27 people).

I had the 10th pick out of 12. Took Howard in the 1st, and I really felt that I had to take Pujols when he fell to me at #15. I kept missing out on my targets for MI and wound up waiting really late and taking a flier on Crosby.

How do you think I did?
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do?

Postby Metsown » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Cafe League - 12 Teams - 5x5 - Roto

C- Kurt Suzuki (26)
1B- Ryan Howard (1)
2B- Rickie Weeks (6)
3B- Garrett Atkins (4)
SS- Edgar Renteria (8)
CI- Albert Pujols (2)
MI- Bobby Crosby (24)
OF- Alex Rios (3)
OF- Chris B. Young (5)
OF- Shane Victorino (9)
Utl- Ken Griffey Jr. (17)
B- Jack Cust (19)
B- Joey Votto (20)
B- Jason Giambi (22)
B- Chase Headley (25)

SP- Carlos Zambrano (7)
SP- Tim Lincecum (10)
RP- Joakim Soria (11)
RP- George Sherrill (14)
P- C.J. Wilson (15)
P- Heath Bell (18)
P- Jon Rauch (23)
B- Francisco Liriano (12)
B- Adam Wainwright (13)
B- Chien-Ming Wang (16)
B- Carlos Villanueva (21)
B- Shawn Hill (27)

I'm not too thrilled with this team. It was probably the toughest competition I've drafted against, and I wasn't really used to drafting such a deep roster (27 people).

I had the 10th pick out of 12. Took Howard in the 1st, and I really felt that I had to take Pujols when he fell to me at #15. I kept missing out on my targets for MI and wound up waiting really late and taking a flier on Crosby.

How do you think I did?

Pretty decent overall, but you as you said I'd look to upgrade that MI slot. I actually like Giambi this season so you could try and trade one of your 1b for a stud MI, or a good MI and a good starter. Find a way to get Giambi into your lineup and try to upgrade your MI and pitching a bit, but overall not terrible
;-D

viewtopic.php?t=327602
Metsown
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 pm

I think you did a decent job. I wouldn't be thrilled about the team you drafted either, but it's not too far off. Your offense could very well struggle average-wise a bit, but you have fairly good sources of power. You probably need Pujols to stay healthy to mount a serious challenge in the power departments. I wouldn't have reached for Weeks in the 6th, but I suppose it's also understandable in a 2B/SS/MI format.

Your pitching isn't too bad, a bit shallow, but if Liriano comes out like gangbusters this year, your staff would look more formidable than it does on paper.

Take a look at my H2H World Series club:
viewtopic.php?t=327540
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Yeah, I had just missed out on Cano and Kinsler, so I reached on Weeks. I had a feeling that he wouldn't come back to me in the 7th and I was right, since AK Homebrewers told me that he planned to take him if I didn't. I'm not really happy with the pick as I was hoping Cano would swing around to me in the 6th, but no such luck. I was also hoping that Furcal or Tejada would drop to me in the 7th, but both of them went and I had to settle for Renteria, which I wasn't really thrilled with.

I really am not content with 2B, SS or MI, but I'm not sure what I can do to improve them.

There is a thread in Baseball Leftovers with the full draft results for those of you who are interested in checking it out. There were a lot of great players.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bettahavemy$ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:02 pm

i think it has a good blend of power and speed. not too bad at all. your staff needs the young starters to come through with lincecum, liriano and wainwright but their upside is definetely worth the gamble. you don't have a dominant closer but i think you'll be able to be competitive with it. good work. thanks for responding to mine too.
Bettahavemy$
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:41 am

Anyone else? Any ideas on how I might be able to improve the team?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: 2008 Cafe Challenge: How'd I do? (WHIR)

Postby Zhangman1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:48 am

I think it turned out pretty well. I think someone on the Waiver Wire should be better than Crosby. Your pitching seems to hinge on Liriano coming back.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:58 am

Overall I like your offense, but Weeks and Chris B. Young (who I probably wouldn't have taken that early) might hurt your average a bit...moreso than a 5th and 6th rounder should. As others noted, if Pujols comes back to form and plays all year your offense could be formidable.

You have too many question marks with your SP's for my taste...but I don't see a lot of moves you can make before the season to improve your team. It would be easier to evaluate how to improve it after a month or two. I would definitely be looking for any pitchers that start off hot (ala Maine from last year) who might be able to get you some quality IP. Good luck.

Just pray that Pujols and Liriano dominate...if those two things happen you're team will be looking really nice. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby naniwa » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 am

The MI position is the problem. You won't get much of anything from Crosby. Who is available on waivers? I'm willing to bet you can find a player similar in value. Is Jason Bartlett available? Uribe? Mark Ellis?

I'd be careful with Hill, too. Maybe take a flyer on M. Parra. I think he makes the roster and is a deep, deep sleeper. Hill can pitch, but the warning signs are there.

For now, I would work the edges on this team. Come May, see where your at and then look to shake things up if needed.
naniwa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:06 am

naniwa wrote:The MI position is the problem. You won't get much of anything from Crosby. Who is available on waivers? I'm willing to bet you can find a player similar in value. Is Jason Bartlett available? Uribe? Mark Ellis?

I'd be careful with Hill, too. Maybe take a flyer on M. Parra. I think he makes the roster and is a deep, deep sleeper. Hill can pitch, but the warning signs are there.

For now, I would work the edges on this team. Come May, see where your at and then look to shake things up if needed.

Rosters are 27 deep, and every owner in the league is great. So waivers are really slim. There is no Bartlett, Uribe or Ellis. There is no Parra. :-°
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team