8th Pick in my draft... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8th Pick in my draft...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8th Pick in my draft...

Postby yankeekd25 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:52 pm

So I'm trying to decide on a blueprint for my draft. 10 Team H2H on Yahoo. 5x5 standard categories. I'm drafting with my friends who aren't by any means expert drafters. I'm expecting to see many questionable picks in the early rounds. I've done many mocks this year so I kinda know what to expect from some seasoned vets, but not inexperienced drafters. I am hoping David Wright is still available at 8, if not I am hoping to snag MCab, Utley, Holliday, in that order. I know Hanley will be gone because there are many Marlins fans in my draft picking before me. Assuming I get a top tier 3bman like Wright or Cab, I am thinking of taking a guy like Sizemore or Prince on the turn. It's very crucial to have a stud 1b man this year. It is however H2H with 5 cats so a 5 tooler like Sizemore or Rollins is quite valuable. This is how I'm hoping to draft.Tell me what you guys think.

Assuming who I want is still there:

Rd 1: Hopefully a Top 3b man
Rd 2: Leaning towards Prince/ Sizemore
Rd 3: Snag a 5 tool OFer / Maybe Phillips if he's still there
Rd 4: Tulo?
Rd 5: OFer
Rd 6/7: SP, SP

Again, who knows what'll happen. But how does this blueprint look to you experts out there so far?
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 8th Pick in my draft...

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:56 pm

The only thing I'll say is that I dont like to limit myself to positions at certain rounds. Personally I'd rather just grab the best player available until at least much later in the draft...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:36 pm

yankeekd25 wrote:So I'm trying to decide on a blueprint for my draft.

There is your first mistake!

Seriously...all drafts are different. If you go into a draft with a "blueprint", what happens when that blueprint doesn't fall into place? You start scrambling around trying to make up for it. Get yourself a nice cheatsheet with some tiers put into place and just draft. Don't look for certain players in every round, your likely handcuffing yourself.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:41 pm

I would take Holliday before Utley.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fezzik » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:17 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:I would take Holliday before Utley.

Me too...I think Howard should be in the mix of who he takes as well.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby yankeekd25 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:45 pm

J35J wrote:

Seriously...all drafts are different. If you go into a draft with a "blueprint", what happens when that blueprint doesn't fall into place? You start scrambling around trying to make up for it. Get yourself a nice cheatsheet with some tiers put into place and just draft. Don't look for certain players in every round, your likely handcuffing yourself.

Sound advice. I got a quick question on pitchers/ Middle relievers. I am a drafter that prefers a stacked lineup, and good enough pitching. That works for points leagues, but this is 5x5 stats league. About when should I take my first SP? Also, I will be drafting the good MR's in the late rounds to try to lower my era and Whip, and increase my K's on days my starters aren't pitching. How many should I keep on my roster? There are 5 Bench spots, along with 2 sp/ 2 rp/ 3 p spots. What number of each should I have? Thanks.
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:49 pm

J35J wrote:

Yeah, take my word for it, blueprints are a bad way to go. The league I play in with my friends used to be like this (most of them have learned how to play.) I used to anticipate them making stupid picks. I used to map out specific players that I wanted in each round. The problem was, as soon as one of my targets went before me, I'd panic and reach for someone else.

Before I knew it, my whole draft was in the toilet. The best thing you can do is draft as if you were drafting with fantasy veterans. Then, you'll be able to spot the great value picks...the guys that fall way too far because your leaguemates are making mistakes. You won't get locked into any one strategy, and you'll be able to adjust on the fly. You'll be much happier with the outcome. ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Return to Baseball Leftovers