How did I do in my draft/Rate my team WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How did I do in my draft/Rate my team WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How did I do in my draft/Rate my team WHIR

Postby Don G. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 am

Hey guys, I just finished my draft yesterday and here's my team. I drafted 1st overall. It's a 14 team head to head league. Whoever wins the most stats (wins, hits etc,) wins for the week. I picked 1st overall. You can play 3 pitchers and 3 relievers or 4 pitchers and 2 releivers.

C - J Mauer (7th)
1b - Justin Morneau (4th)
2b - L Castillo (14th)
3rd - ARod (1st)
SS - R Furcal (8th)
OF - G Sizemore (3rd)
OF - E Byrnes (6th)
OF - R Ibanez (13th)
DH - R Zimmerman (9th) My pick went into autopick mode and I accidentally took him. It's a good option at DH though so I'm ok with it. I will probably try trading him later in the season though.
BN - C Maybin (18th)
BN - B Hall (20th)

SP - E Bedard (2nd)
SP - A Harang (5th)
SP - P Martinez (10th)
SP - B Zito (15th)
SP - D Cabrera (16th)
SP - B Arroyo (19th)
SP - J Schmidt (21st)
RP - M Corpas (11th)
RP - T Jones (12th)
RP - T Percival (17th) another mistake pick when it accidentally went to autopick. I'll probably drop him once waivers are open.
Last edited by Don G. on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How did I do in my draft/Rate my team WHIR

Postby Justblaze » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:38 am

Overall it was a good draft. Byrnes, IMO, was a solid but not a steal pick. Your best pick was getting Arod! ;-D

I thought you might have reached a little in getting Bedard. Although snatching Sizemore on the downswing was very wise. Although my personal preference in h2h leagues is drafting beast sluggers in the first couple rounds. Arod was awesome, I would have gone for guys like Vlad, Lee, Tex, Manny, Hafner for the 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure whether they were still there of course.

Offensively your pretty solid. I only don't like Luis Castillo at all, but it's a thin position with personal preference on players if you don't get the top 5 guys.

Pitching you have a decent 1-2 punch with Bedard and Harang. Hopefully those two annual underachieving team can put together a good year for you. If those guys can rake Wins, your 1-2 punch will be elite studs. Pedro is probably a guy that can make or break your SP staff. If he can turn into somewhat of the old Pedro you are golden. The others like Zito, Cabrera, and Arroyo will give you headaches at time but should be solid inning eaters. All three of these guys have the potential to put up a solid week to help you win, they could also blow up to hurt you too. Overall it's a decent staff in a 14-team league, I don't have much experience to judge in a 14-teamer, but I tried. ;-D
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Don G. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks Just. I agree on all points. Remember that my 2nd round pick was really a 3rd rounder. Peavy, Webb, Johan were all off the board by the time I took Bedard. If I passed on him I would have no legitimate anchor. I think Bedard is poised for an even better year then last year...at least in wins.

I agree on Castillo. It's a thin position and I wanted a Met. I like that he bats 2nd in the lineup but I agree that I should look to fill that position with a better option...or at least get a good backup. Kaz Matsui is still available so I"ll probably pick him up once waivers are opened up....either him or Iwamura.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shappy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 pm

cant agree with the other poster enough. From also having the first pick that 2nd rounder is a really rough one. I like sizemore as the first pick of the 3rd round for you, definitely needed that compliment to arod. I feel like the pitching somewhat drops off after harang/bedard. I don't really like cabrera off a 200+ ip year, and pedro is a ? for me.

Byrnes might have been a bit of a stretch, i feel like a guy like victorino could have been had a few rounds later and produces pretty much the same stuff. ZImmerman should be good, first time autopick has dome something good in a while.

I have bad luck when it comes to signatures that the person either gets traded or hurt...in this case I hope he gets traded.
shappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Don G. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks guys. I really liked the Byrnes pick but I agree on all the other points. Bedard may have been high but not considering he was easily the best pitcher available. If I had waited, Aaron Harang would have been the anchor. The Zimmerman pick was a mistake but it'll likely be a good one considering they're moving to a new park. I don't know what happened with the Cabrera/Percival picks. That was a mistake. I think I ran out of time and went to auto-pick on both. Really sucks but they were later round picks and there are some quality replacements on the WW (Maddux, RJ, etc) that should make up for it.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team