My H2H World Series team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My H2H World Series team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My H2H World Series team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Did you take Chris B. Young over Corey Hart in Round 5? If so, why?

Ask that strapping young lad named Chris. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:25 pm

I like the squad. While I don't really like Loney, I think you'll be fine between him and Butler. Nice rotation with good RPs. Good start, now you just have to play the WW, maybe see what kind of trades you can pull, and see where it takes you. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:13 pm

Definitely a solid team, a shoe in for the playoffs. We ended up with I think 5 of the same players drafting from similar spots. Notably with the Loney/Butler platoon at Util, I think it will be quite profitable.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Love having a top 5 of Webb, Kazmir, Lincecum, Billingsley, and McGowan i a 14-teamer; hell, even in a 12-teamer. Garza's a nice upside pick, but I think you could've done better there -- what SPs went off the board after him?

Was just looking back at the draft and after I had taken Garza, Marcum & Schilling (despite being on 60 day DL) were drafted. Before Kent and/or my last pick, it was Buehrle, Zito, Carpenter and Moseley off the board. Don't think I could've done much better.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:13 pm

I like your team. My criticisms would be similar to your own. I'm a Dodger fan as well, and I like Loney...but with no decent backup option at 1B he is somewhat of a wild card (you'd probably like HIM to be the backup option/util guy). :-D

I think Kent will put up good numbers when he plays, but it's hard for me to imagine him playing in more than 140 games this season...still...his production while in your lineup should be decent.

I really like the rest of your offense. I disagree with those concerned about Blalock (especially in an OPS league). Plus, you're using him as a util guy, so if he fails to produce you can always throw in Butler or some other productive bat. I'm surprised bighort didn't denounce that pick, since he let me know what was on his mind for drafting him a round later. :-b

I love your SP's...particularly the top 4. They are going to provide you with a ton of K's, although your whip could possibly struggle if Kazmir and Billingsley can't keep the BB's down.

Your RP's are somewhat blah (although you have a decent base with Hoffman and Accardo), but that's somewhat typical after a draft and usually implies you were unwilling to reach for RP's that were going too soon for your taste. I noticed Holds was a cat, but I don't see any setup men on your team...are you kind of sitting back and seeing who gets the call in those situations since it seems to change every year?

Anyway, solid overall team.

As of this post nobody has responded to my "rate my team post"...maybe you can be the first. Is it really that bad? ;-)

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=327911
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Jimbo OZ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 am

G'day Thrashers,

When I did a post-mortem on the draft I thought you and Chris had the best drafts. Your starters are awesome and (as you know) I'd like a piece of that rotation.

I'm really looking forward to playing in the league this year. Hopefully we can work out some deals that will help both teams.

Cheers,
Andrew
(Psydney Psychos)
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:28 pm

fezzik wrote:Your RP's are somewhat blah (although you have a decent base with Hoffman and Accardo), but that's somewhat typical after a draft and usually implies you were unwilling to reach for RP's that were going too soon for your taste. I noticed Holds was a cat, but I don't see any setup men on your team...are you kind of sitting back and seeing who gets the call in those situations since it seems to change every year?

Forgot to address this. The reason why I don't like reaching for MR's is because this is the part of the draft where you could reasonably fetch some up-and-coming values. Where Broxton, Okajima, and Betancourt are taken among others, so are Jeremy Hermida, Edwin Encarnacion, and Billy Butler. You're not likely to have such valuable trade chips if you focused on taking a MR with spotless ratios and K's because those MR's are probably not going to make for great throw-ins if you really need to improve your team or consolidate at a skilled position with a better player.

Like you were getting at, MR's tend to have high turnover. If you drafted Kyle Farnsworth, Scott Linebrink, or Mike Timlin for holds, you were burned quite badly. Linebrink had a harder time translating such success as the Padres setup man as a Brewer; Derrick Turnbow was more of a bargain in retrospect. Of course, Timlin and Farnsworth were overtaken by Hideki Okajima and Joba Chamberlain, respectively, in the long run. This is why I was happy to nail down Jeremy Accardo rather late in the draft because he won't lose value as a setup man and can only improve his value if BJ Ryan goes down as a closer.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team