My H2H World Series team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My H2H World Series team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My H2H World Series team

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:36 pm

So, I had my first league draft of the year today and it just so happened to be my H2H World Series draft, a H2H Cafe tournament we've run for the last few years. I qualified last year by winning my US regional tourney and to boot, I also won my state league.

This is what I did with the 12th overall pick out of 14 teams:

14-team 6x6 H2H redraft (standard 5x5 plus OPS and HLD)

C - Ivan Rodriguez (16.03 - #213)
1B - James Loney (11.12 - #152)
2B - Jeff Kent (19.12 - #264)
3B - Ryan Braun (1.12 - #12)
SS - Jimmy Rollins (2.03 - #17)
CF - Chris B. Young (5.12 - #68)
OF - Nick Markakis (4.03 - #45)
OF - Jeff Francoeur (7.12 - #96)
UTIL - Hank Blalock (13.12 - #180)
BN - Billy Butler (14.03 - #185)
BN - Justin Upton (18.03 - #241)

SP - Brandon Webb (3.12 - #40)
SP - Scott Kazmir (6.03 - #73)
RP - Trevor Hoffman (9.12 - #124)
RP - Jeremy Accardo (15.12 - #208)
P - Tim Lincecum (8.03 - #101)
P - Chad Billingsley (10.03 - #129)
BN - Dustin McGowan (12.03 - #157)
BN - Brandon Lyon (17.12 - #236)
BN - Matt Garza (20.03 - #269)

I have to say I hate my team even though I had seen worse in this league. I'm not that keen about the right side of my infield and I actually think I need more power (I'm looking to deal for better support there actually). Other than that, I'd have to say that it wasn't all bad. My pitching is quite strong and my hitting isn't too bad at all, but I can see the above-average proneness to streakiness.

So, any thoughts? I'll WHIR and all that good stuff. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My H2H World Series team

Postby Doughhead » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, I think you did a nice job. Kent and Loney aren't the sexiest picks, but you should get solid production out of them. Kent is particularly underrated; he gets more than his share of days off, and he's old and prone to injury, but you can pretty much bank on 80-20-90 with an average in the .300 range. For some reason, his age turns people away from those bankable numbers. I would wager that a 26-year old with the same projections would go a round or two earlier, at least.

What Kent lacks in youth and potential, Loney has. He could really improve on his numbers from last year and become a very useful fantasy 1B. Sure, he's not one of the top guys at the spot, but he's got the upside to close the gap.

You seem to have a nice blend of power and speed, especially in your top two picks. And I also think you have some of the great breakout candidates that could turn this team from good to championship-quality (i.e. McGowan, Billingsley, Kazmir, and Francoeur). As you say, you're pitching is solid. I think you've got a good team to work with here. Nicely done. ;-D
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby nyrblue2 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:40 pm

I actually think it's a decent team. I think you'll grow to like Loney a lot. As the previous poster said, he has tons of potential and is one of the guys I that has potential to be a batting champ. He's just solid all-around. Kent is getting up there in age obvioulsy, but should be consistent, barring injury. Rollins and Braun are studs obviously. If Francouer can have an "up year", you have a solid, well-rounded OF, too. I'm not a huge fan of the Blalock hype, but we'll see.

Good SP, with a lot of young talent. However, if Ryan comes back strong, Accardo will be somewhat of a letdown. I'm also not sold on Lyon. I could see Pena taking the job. I'd say you could use another closer or reliever. I'd see if anyone else likes Blalock or Butler and see if you can get another saves or holds guy.

Any thoughts on mine?

viewtopic.php?t=327478
viewtopic.php?t=327476
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chris8 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 am

Hey Thrashers! ;-)

I actually thought you had one of the better drafts in the league yesterday, so I was shocked when I looked at your team to see how many of the hitters had an OPS under .800 last year.

However, I think that is not a true reflection of your team, because I expect several of them to step it up this year. Francoeur, especially, I think will bust out in a big way this year, and there are a number of good young players who can only benefit from playing a full season (or close to it) last year. I think you're in a good position to compete in most of the hitting categories, and your pitching is sweet! No, I expect you to be one of my main challengers this year! ;-)

If you's like to comment on mine, here it is! London Knights
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 pm

nyrblue2 wrote:I actually think it's a decent team. I think you'll grow to like Loney a lot. As the previous poster said, he has tons of potential and is one of the guys I that has potential to be a batting champ. He's just solid all-around.

I like Loney but as you can see in the Kemp/Loney thread on the '08 predictions forum, I'm eating crow for saying I wouldn't want to rely on him as my primary 1B. :-b

As a Dodger fan and now as an owner, I'd be pleased to see him hit 25 HR and 90 RBI, but would like to see if his power does come around to fill in his lanky build.

nyrblue2 wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the Blalock hype, but we'll see.

I could understand why as his power dropped off in an unusual fashion, but he looked good when did return last year and Blalock is an underrated guy who could post as good as '04-05 numbers possibly. He's a terrific bargain and I needed a UTIL at the time. I got Butler at the turn who I can use to platoon with either Loney or Blalock anyway.

nyrblue2 wrote:Good SP, with a lot of young talent. However, if Ryan comes back strong, Accardo will be somewhat of a letdown. I'm also not sold on Lyon. I could see Pena taking the job. I'd say you could use another closer or reliever.

I doubt Accardo will be a letdown. He should be the Jays' setup man with Ryan closing and I'm one of those who believes Ryan won't hold up all year with 1 year of inactivity because of TJ. You might recall Lyon wasn't that bad closing in '05. His stuff leaves much to be desired, but he has closing experience and is capable of shutting the door. For a late round pick with no other closing options (even Percival was taken), I can't ask for anything more and am happy with the pick.

Any other thoughts?

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Blalock is the only major question mark in your starting hitting IMO, everyone else is good for some reliable production, even Kent and Loney. Gotta love that 1-2 Braun/Rollins punch. :-D Your power could wind up being serviceable, but that's only if Blalock and Loney come through with their power potential.

Your starting pitching is pretty balanced between reliable producers and potential breakout stars. As for your relievers, Hoffman is OK and while Accardo and Lyon are good cheap picks, they're still cheap picks. Accardo had a miserable mid-5/1.4 ERA/WHIP in '06 between SF and Toronto as a setup man. Lyon, on the other hand, appears to be on a short leash in Arizona with several bad outings and Pena waiting in the shadows. I'd like to see a mid-tier RP with more job stability, like Soriano or Chad Cordero in there.

Help?
viewtopic.php?t=327600

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Doughhead wrote:Well, I think you did a nice job. Kent and Loney aren't the sexiest picks, but you should get solid production out of them. Kent is particularly underrated; he gets more than his share of days off, and he's old and prone to injury, but you can pretty much bank on 80-20-90 with an average in the .300 range. For some reason, his age turns people away from those bankable numbers. I would wager that a 26-year old with the same projections would go a round or two earlier, at least.

What Kent lacks in youth and potential, Loney has. He could really improve on his numbers from last year and become a very useful fantasy 1B. Sure, he's not one of the top guys at the spot, but he's got the upside to close the gap.

You seem to have a nice blend of power and speed, especially in your top two picks. And I also think you have some of the great breakout candidates that could turn this team from good to championship-quality (i.e. McGowan, Billingsley, Kazmir, and Francoeur). As you say, you're pitching is solid. I think you've got a good team to work with here. Nicely done. ;-D

I really don't have much else to add. I think this is a very solid team, and I don't see a reason to be unhappy with it. I could see wanting to upgrade your 2B, but Kent should put up respectable numbers. I think the rest of your offense and pitching is very solid, all the way through. Nice job and good luck in the H2HWS. I didn't realize that wrveres was having it again this year, I wish I signed up. :-/
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Doughhead wrote:Well, I think you did a nice job. Kent and Loney aren't the sexiest picks, but you should get solid production out of them. Kent is particularly underrated; he gets more than his share of days off, and he's old and prone to injury, but you can pretty much bank on 80-20-90 with an average in the .300 range. For some reason, his age turns people away from those bankable numbers. I would wager that a 26-year old with the same projections would go a round or two earlier, at least.

I really don't have much else to add. I think this is a very solid team, and I don't see a reason to be unhappy with it. I could see wanting to upgrade your 2B, but Kent should put up respectable numbers. I think the rest of your offense and pitching is very solid, all the way through. Nice job and good luck in the H2HWS. I didn't realize that wrveres was having it again this year, I wish I signed up. :-/

Yeah, that was I think due in part to the original site going down. The new H2HWS home is http://www.rotodatabase.com. I'm going to have a blog of my own up there in the near future. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Justin Upton at Pick 241 in a league that has CF as a starting position. This guy isn't a sleeper, apparently people are in a coma with regard to him! Great pick there, AD.

Love having a top 5 of Webb, Kazmir, Lincecum, Billingsley, and McGowan i a 14-teamer; hell, even in a 12-teamer. Garza's a nice upside pick, but I think you could've done better there -- what SPs went off the board after him?

Your Closers leave a lot to be desired, but being active in FA could easily help there. I love Accardo as a Setup man with Closer potential.

I do think Butler will end up starting at Util for you, and maybe even at 1B over Loney.

Did you take Chris B. Young over Corey Hart in Round 5? If so, why?

Jimmy Rollins 17th overall is highway robbery. What'd his name fall off the draft board? Sheesh.

If you could, check out how my H2HWS USA East Draft went here amigo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:08 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Yeah, that was I think due in part to the original site going down. The new H2HWS home is http://www.rotodatabase.com. I'm going to have a blog of my own up there in the near future. ;-D

wrs is just giving those things out anymore, eh? O:-) :-b :-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team