Good H2H Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good H2H Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Good H2H Strategy?

Postby jetsfan1771 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:31 pm

I play in a pretty competitive 12 man mixed H2H league. I've placed at the top of the standings pretty consistently, so I'm pretty confident in my skills. My strategy is usually to not go crazy with closers; maybe draft a few lower tier closers, have everyone say "your closers suck", then scrounge the wire and finish near the top of the standings in save. One thing about my league is that people generally don't draft many middle relievers to handcuff their closers, which makes it so easy to find saves on waivers when guys get injured.

My question is: is it possible to take this strategy to the next level? My closers right now are Rafael Soriano, Todd Jones, and George Sherrill. Would it be feasible to trade 1 or even 2 of them right now to upgrade on offense? Sure, I will be losing saves most weeks during the beginning of the season, but if I can have the same luck I usually do with the waivers, I could start being competitive in saves come the middle of the season and most importantly the playoffs. If it works out like I envision, by the end of the year I will have a much upgraded offense with the same amount of saves as everyone else. Of course, it could always backfire, and I would be left with absolutely no saves. Has anyone actually used a "no saves in the beginning of the season" strategy in H2H leagues? Was it successful? Input would be appreciated.
jetsfan1771
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Good H2H Strategy?

Postby chipper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm

jetsfan1771 wrote:If it works out like I envision, by the end of the year I will have a much upgraded offense with the same amount of saves as everyone else.

I've heard of this strategy working fine, but I'm not sure you can expect to have the same amount of saves as everyone else. I'm actually pretty sure you can count on not having the same amount of saves as everyone else, not that it would be a bad thing.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jetsfan1771 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:52 pm

Well yeah, over the course of the season I will not have accumulated the same amount of saves as everyone else. My hope that is I can be getting the same amount of saves per week by the end of the season. That is the beautiful thing about H2H; nothing that happened earlier in the season matters anymore. For instance, as of now, Tom Gordon, Bob Howry, Kerry Wood, and Kaz Fukumori are all sitting on waivers and they are all in a situation to possibly pick up saves at the beginning of the season. And you could count the number of closers handcuffed on one hand. Betancourt, Accardo, Broxton, Zumaya. There you go. One hand. As you can see it is very easy to find saves on waivers during the season in this league. On top of this, a few of the owners tend to panic at this point in the seasons between the draft and the season starting that they need more saves. I think I will definitely try to trade Soriano, if not Jones also.
jetsfan1771
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:27 pm

jetsfan1771 wrote:Well yeah, over the course of the season I will not have accumulated the same amount of saves as everyone else. My hope that is I can be getting the same amount of saves per week by the end of the season. That is the beautiful thing about H2H; nothing that happened earlier in the season matters anymore. For instance, as of now, Tom Gordon, Bob Howry, Kerry Wood, and Kaz Fukumori are all sitting on waivers and they are all in a situation to possibly pick up saves at the beginning of the season. And you could count the number of closers handcuffed on one hand. Betancourt, Accardo, Broxton, Zumaya. There you go. One hand. As you can see it is very easy to find saves on waivers during the season in this league. On top of this, a few of the owners tend to panic at this point in the seasons between the draft and the season starting that they need more saves. I think I will definitely try to trade Soriano, if not Jones also.

If it's a truly competitive league and everyone has equal access to a computer and spends equal time with their teams...then I would say no, it's not a good strategy because the odds of you grabbing a new closer is only 1 in 12...but you say that you are routinely able to grab the next closer, which to me tells me that one of the above elements is lacking in your league. That being said I would still shy away from the strategy this early on, especially if your roster is solid. I would wait until I actually grabbed another closer before trying to shop mine around...it seems like a needless gamble to me, since as you noted...in H2H it's all about the end of the season. So as long as you are able to grab the closers before your fantasy trade deadline, you will be able to make your upgrades before the fantasy playoffs...you will also have a better idea of your needs at that time since unforeseen injuries may have hurt your roster. Plus, there's some expression about counting one's eggs before they hatch that could be applied here if you went ahead with your proposed strategy. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jcook3127 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Great point Fez...you lose nothing here by simply waiting until you can pick up those closers and then safely getting value in return for your original guys

Sure, in the meantime, your offense would be bolstered...but since you already have "awful closers" then your offense probably looks favorable to the rest of the league..and it really does seem to be an unneeded risk
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:45 pm

In really competitive leagues, you're surrounded by a bunch of other owners who are sharks when it comes to find closers so it's really hard to rely on cheap closers like that. I think pretty much everyone here doesn't overvalue closers but I try to get at least 2 guys who have pretty secure jobs throughout the whole year, then another 1-2 guys who are less stable. I can usually get 1 or 2 of the guys who come up during the season (Drafted just Wickman and Borowski in a league last year, picked up Weathers before the season, and was able to nab Soriano once Wickman got booted) but I wouldn't want all my closers to have completely unstable job situations.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby tgalv » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:58 am

how deep are the rosters that you'd get anything significant by trading the closers you have now? i don't think i'd trade you any starting player or decent starting pitcher on my 14 team roster that i just drafted. plus most of the teams likely already have better closers.

i think the strategy makes sense, but i just don't see you getting much for your closers. and soriano is a guy who is probably more valuable to keep and hope for the best than trade him away right now.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:06 am

If you can get crazy-nice value in offensive players coming over, then sure. Go for it.
But I wouldn't be making "lateral" deals just to stockpile offensive placeholders. They can be found over the course of the season as easily as can new closers.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers