My 2008 fantasy team: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My 2008 fantasy team:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My 2008 fantasy team:

Postby krunchyfrogg » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:17 pm

First of all, let me say thanks to all the board members who've helped me out these past few days.

This is a 12 team, 5x5 head to head league. You can only change lineups once a week.

THE WILDBOYZ

C: Russ Martin
1B: Adrian Gonzalez
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: Adrian Beltre
SS: Jose Reyes
OF: Carlos Beltran
OF: Hunter Pence
OF: Cory Hart
UT: Josh Hamilton

B: Lastings Milledge (OF)
B: Ty Wigginton (1B, 2B, 3B)

SP: Aaron Harang
SP: Chris Young
RP: Rafael Soriano
RP: Joakim Soria
P: James Shields
P: Adam Wainwright
P: Brian Bannister

B: Zach Greinke (SP/RP)
B: Brandon Backe (SP)
B: Rafael Betancourt (RP)

I think it looks alright.

I really like how most of the guys in my lineup have both speed and power.

My pitching leaves a lot to be desired, but it might be alright. I hope (from purely a fantasy standpoint) that Soriano is okay (elbow surgery). If not, I'll either slip Greinke in there (which basically means I'll be losing Saves that week), or Betancourt. I'm betting Borowski loses his job with Betancourt. He doesn't help much otherwise.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

After a few trades, the roster looks a little different now:

P: Brett Myers
P: George Sherrill

B: Manny Parra (SP/RP)

I have one bench slot open, and I'll probably pick up either Jack Cust or K. Fukudome (some dummies just dropped these guys!). I'll wait to see which will clear waivers b/c I have the 11th spot out of 12. Maybe the choice won't be mine!

EDIT EDIT EDIT (4/24)
OF: Josh Hamilton
UT: Conor Jackson

B: Carlos Beltran
B: Jeff Keppinger

RP: Zach Greinke
P: Brian Fuentes
P: George Sherrill

B: Brett Myers(SP/RP)
DL: Rafael Soriano
Last edited by krunchyfrogg on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My 2008 fantasy team:

Postby TheWrightStuff » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:33 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:First of all, let me say thanks to all the board members who've helped me out these past few days.

This is a 12 team, 5x5 head to head league. You can only change lineups once a week.

THE WILDBOYZ

P: Adam Wainwright
P: Brian Bannister

B: Brandon Backe (SP)
B: Rafael Betancourt (RP)

I think it looks alright.

I really like how most of the guys in my lineup have both speed and power.

My pitching leaves a lot to be desired, but it might be alright. I hope (from purely a fantasy standpoint) that Soriano is okay (elbow surgery). If not, I'll either slip Greinke in there (which basically means I'll be losing Saves that week), or Betancourt. I'm betting Borowski loses his job with Betancourt. He doesn't help much otherwise.

There's gotta be someone out there better or with more upside than Backe. If you are concerned with Soriano a guy you may want to keep an eye on if no closers are out there and might close is Tony Pena of the D'Backs. I just don't see Lyon locking down the closers role. Also keep an eye on the Cub's pen situation.

viewtopic.php?t=327469
"There are only two places in the league - first place and no place." Tom Seaver
TheWrightStuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nyrblue2 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:20 pm

I think that's a damn good team. My first thought was that I like the fact you got a lot of speed/power guys, which you ended up pointing out anyway, lol. I like that so you don't struggle in one category if a speed-only or power-only guy gets hurt. Good bench hitters as Wigginton is a jack of all trades and could get 20 or so HR this year. Milledge has had a good preseason.

Pretty good SP, but you might struggle for wins, since you have pitchers from CIN, KC and TB. I agree that Backe should probabaly be swapped out as there is probably a better choice. I like the Betancourt pick to keep your ratios down. Also, I think you should be fine at closer. Soriano should be good to go.

Any thoughts on mine?

viewtopic.php?t=327478
viewtopic.php?t=327476
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Justblaze » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:00 am

You have a decent team. I like your young OF like Hamilton and Pence. Only thing your missing is a truly powerful slugger, but I think your team is balanced enough to account for that. Speed-wise you have Reyes, so your pretty much set there. Plus you have a couple guys that chip in.

Your SP staff is pretty good. Harang and Young are solid aces. I might say trade Shields for winning pitcher, as no one on your staff is on a contender. I would consider trying to trade Shields for guys like Hill, Lackey (buy-low candidate), or Brett Myers. I just don't like the Rays to win a lot of games.

I agree that Backe shouldn't be on your roster. I would try and nab a sleeper reliever who could steal the job during the season. You have the right idea with Betancourt. I would try Accardo, Pena, Kerry Wood, Broxton, or Turnbow.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=327586
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby smith1051 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:58 pm

I won't mention Backe since everyone else has. I actually like your SP with the top 3 (Harang, Yound and Shields). I don't see a true power hitter on the roster even though Hamilton might jack 35 HR's in Arlington this year.
smith1051
College Coach
College Coach

Postby krunchyfrogg » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Wow guys, I thought Backe might have a decent chance to come back and be pretty good. I guess I over rated him!

Trying to work out a deal for Pujols and Myers. The guy autodrafted and I don't think he wants Pujols, while I'm more than willing to take a chance on his elbow. It would cost me Gonzalez, Beltran (he's a Mets fan), and Bannister, but I think he might bite.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smith1051 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:49 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:Wow guys, I thought Backe might have a decent chance to come back and be pretty good. I guess I over rated him!

Trying to work out a deal for Pujols and Myers. The guy autodrafted and I don't think he wants Pujols, while I'm more than willing to take a chance on his elbow. It would cost me Gonzalez, Beltran (he's a Mets fan), and Bannister, but I think he might bite.

I would not trade Gonzalez/Beltran/Bannister for Pujols. Heck I wouldn't trade Beltran for Pujols straight up. I do like the high risk/high reward in Pujols. He might have a normal Pujols year but also could get shut down in July/August if they are out of contention...
smith1051
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Justblaze » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:13 pm

Man, this is tough. If this was Roto I would definitely recommend this. But seeing that it is not, it's a tough decision. If Pujols gets shut-down your going to be down a big piece of your team for the playoffs. I would only do this if you think you can make a trade after the All-star break and deal Pujols for the another stud. I am sure when Pujols is being Pujols in the early going, people will forgoe his injury concern and take him as he is hitting. Adrian is good, but I think Myers is a solid SP. Myers is having a awesome ST and looks like he is back to SP form.

I've actually talked myself into this deal. I would do this.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team