Bud Selig: best commissioner ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bud Selig: best commissioner ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bud Selig: best commissioner ever?

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:38 pm

I would say (from my limited knowledge and experience) that Bud Selig would be one of the best commissioners.
Some really excellent things have happened for the game while he has been in charge, like the wildcard and interleague play.

If you really want to attack a commissioner why not go after the racist one in the 1920s Kennesaw Mountain Landis...........

The baseball color line

Landis perpetuated the color line and prolonged the segregation of organized baseball. His successor, Happy Chandler, said, "For twenty-four years Judge Landis wouldn't let a black man play. I had his records, and I read them, and for twenty-four years Landis consistently blocked any attempts to put blacks and whites together on a big league field."[6] Bill Veeck claimed Landis prevented him from purchasing the Phillies when Landis learned of Veeck's plan to integrate the team. The signing of the first black ballplayer in the modern era, Jackie Robinson, came less than a year after Landis's death on Chandler's watch and was engineered by one of Landis's old nemeses, Branch Rickey. Eleven weeks after Robinson's debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Veeck became the first American League owner to break the color line.

Steroids are absolutely nothing nothing nothing compared to this racist retard.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bud Selig: best commissioner ever?

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:Collins, thanks for the info. I did not know that. Is there a reason why it is not included?

That still does not refute the fact that teams like the marlins, and pirates pocket most of their cash instead of re-investing in the organization...

Yeah, I wasn't really disagreeing with that point. Cable networks are just a separate entity, it is misleading how people don't use it. I know the Red Sox own part or or all of NESN, and I doubt that is included either. As far is revenue sharing, I'm not sure if the cable networks are included with that but I don't think so.

YES and NESN (TBS used to have this same arrangement with the Braves) are considered separate entities both owned by the same corporation that owns the team (the team doesn't actually own the network). The team then gives the network a sweetheart deal ($1 a year for example) for the broadcasting rights. Therefore any money earned by the revenue of network does not count as revenue of the team. The broadcasting rights for other teams, which don't own their own networks, do count toward the revenue of those teams.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers