Elijah Dukes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Elijah Dukes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Elijah Dukes

Postby Bwanna » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:26 pm

With Wily Mo tearing his oblique, Dukes appears to have a starting job with the Nats, assuming he can avoid injury himself. I was able to take him with the last pick in my 12 team dynasty, and I'm guessing he'll be undrafted/unowned in most leagues. Might be worth a flier.

Nationals outfielder Wily Mo Pena, a popular sleeper source for power this season, underwent an MRI exam that showed a significant tear in his left oblique muscle. He’s expected to miss approximately a month with the malady.

“We were willing to give the guy the opportunity to get 500 at-bats, and now another year is going to go by and next year we’ll probably be hearing the same thing about him,” Nationals manager Manny Acta told the Associated Press.

This would theoretically mean another popular sleeper I have trumpeted on this site (Elijah Dukes) would get a starting job, but he left Friday’s split squad game after straining his right hamstring. “It was almost like a little strain or cramp kind of feeling,” Dukes said. “I knew that if I could get up that quick, it couldn’t be a big deal, but it’s always scary to get that feeling that I could be hurt.”

He’s considered day-to-day, and is still the favorite to be the starter in left field when the season begins. That said, he didn’t seem real confident in that role, telling the AP, “I don’t know what my role is going to be,” Dukes said. “When he comes back, I’ll probably be the fourth guy again, so we’ll see what happens.”

What? Isn’t that like saying, “I’m thankful for the opportunity, but I’m not sure how effective I’ll be?”

Nevertheless, count me among the believers that Dukes has made significant progress mentally and appears as though he’s not as much of an off-the-field liability. The only negative development with this news is that you probably have to bump up Dukes auction value a couple bucks by the time your auction or draft rolls around, because despite the injury it still seems as though many more of your competing owners will be aware of him.

http://the108stitches.com/2008/03/15/mo ... -problems/
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 324)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Elijah Dukes

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:03 pm

i'm taken a shot on him :-)
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Elijah Dukes

Postby MTUCache » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:43 pm

They had a quick debate about this on the Fantasy Focus tonight (ESPN Radio)... with the result being that although Dukes is not a top 50 OF at this point, he's still got all the upside that a possible 20/20 guy is going to bring.

Moving to the NL and the Nats having a new ballpark are certainly variables which could come into play, but they both agreed that his average should go up this year with the amounts of walks he took last year, less "off-the-field" drama, and being out of TB.

Could definitely be a steal, and as long as he's not one of your top 3 OF, he is definitely worth a risk in 10-person or more leagues.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers