Players you won't own this year.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players you won't own this year....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Players you won't own this year....

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Some other names I don't have any interest in taking for where they are going..

Martinez
Martin
Roberts
Jeter
Beckett
Bedard
Tulowitzki - love him but not how early he is going

The only pitcher I will take in the first 4 rounds is Johan,Peavy,Webb - And that's only if they fall a bit.

Will never take any of the elite closers like Putz,Papelbon,etc.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:08 pm

Ichiro
Russel Martin
V. Marinez
Grady Sizemore

I would have said top tier closers, but Paps went in round 6 in my Cafe draft which seems reasonable...I was going to take him later in the round if he was still available with my 6.11 pick. I got Tulo at 4.11 which seemed fair to me.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Lackey(he was on it before the injury which I figured was coming)
Kazmir
Haren
Zambrano
Zito
Hoffman
Manny
Lidge
Delgado
Granderson
Dye
Martin

Of course if someone falls to me way later than I expect I'll still grab them, but all of those guys go in drafts before I would ever take them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:27 pm

fezzik wrote:Ichiro
Russel Martin
V. Marinez
Grady Sizemore

I would have said top tier closers, but Paps went in round 6 in my Cafe draft which seems reasonable...I was going to take him later in the round if he was still available with my 6.11 pick. I got Tulo at 4.11 which seemed fair to me.

Sizemore ? He's bound to go 30/30 with a .290-300 BA in one of these years...I have a feeling it's going to be this one..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fezzik » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:20 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Russel Martin
V. Marinez
Grady Sizemore

Sizemore ? He's bound to go 30/30 with a .290-300 BA in one of these years...I have a feeling it's going to be this one..

I just think you can get almost duplicate numbers one round later in either Granderson or Rios...so by my rationale Sizemore will never make it to me, since I wouldn't consider drafting him until the beginning of round 3. Granderson outproduced him last year, and I see Granderson hitting around 25 HR's and 30+ SB's (check out the way his steals picked up after the break last year). Sizemore is a stud, but I know he'll never make it to me...so I'll never draft him. ;-D

You could also get slightly better power numbers with not as many steals two to three rounds later with Markakis (somehow I ended up with him with pick 5.07 in a 12 team Cafe league). He really stepped up his offense after the break last season and is still improving IMO.

You might even be able to get similar numbers much later in the draft with Josh Hamilton, but obviously there's a ton of risk there.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:29 am

fezzik wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:
Russel Martin
V. Marinez
Grady Sizemore

I just think you can get almost duplicate numbers one round later in either Granderson or Rios...so by my rationale Sizemore will never make it to me, since I wouldn't consider drafting him until the beginning of round 3. Granderson outproduced him last year, and I see Granderson hitting around 25 HR's and 30+ SB's (check out the way his steals picked up after the break last year). Sizemore is a stud, but I know he'll never make it to me...so I'll never draft him. ;-D

You might be able to get similar numbers much later in the draft with Josh Hamilton, but obviously there's a ton of risk there.

I don't like Granderson at all . He's like a 0-4 waiting to happen when the other team trots out a lefty pitcher ....
I doubt Josh steals more than 10 bases this season..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fezzik » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:37 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
fezzik wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:

You might be able to get similar numbers much later in the draft with Josh Hamilton, but obviously there's a ton of risk there.

I don't like Granderson at all . He's like a 0-4 waiting to happen when the other team trots out a lefty pitcher ....
I doubt Josh steals more than 10 bases this season..

Fair enough...I know about Granderson's inability to hit lefties and I agree it's unlikely that Josh will steal on a comparable level with Sizemore. I just disagree with you. Even with his inability to hit lefties, Granderson outperformed Sizemore last year...and while I understand he isn't a hugely popular choice here in the Cafe, I think he'll have big year, scoring even more runs with the addition of M-Cab and stealing more bases...he was in the top 8 or 10 in MLB in extra base hits and had the highest OPS of any CF with 300+ AB's...and he's entering his prime.

Remember, I think Sizemore is a stud too...just not going to take him considering he's consistently drafted mid 2nd round. Don't worry, I put my thoughts down about this in the prediction forum...predicting Granderson would outperform Sizemore once again, so at seasons end you can point out my crazy claims...or maybe not. }:-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby chipper » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:35 am

Esen wrote:
chipper wrote:
Esen wrote:Jimmy Rollins - wouldnt touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Yeah who would want him? :-o
Would you touch him with a 2nd round 20 foot pole? :-/

The Artful Dodger wrote:Joe Nathan, Huston Street - I wouldn't want to take a closer who may very well be midseason trade bait.

I can see not wanted to draft a closer who may end up a set man if traded, but Joe Nathan being traded can only helps his value. He'll remain a closer and most likely goes to a better team (Not that being on a better team increases save opps, but it definitely doesn't lower his value).

Rollins is being drafted way too high sometimes even over Reyes and Hanley.
In my opinion he not worth that high of a pick and he will not be there in the 3=2nd round.
no way Im going to waste a 1st round pick on him - I do not think he is that elite of a player. its my opinion, you can draft him any way you want,

Well when you stated you would not touch him with a "20 foot pole" you make it seem like he belongs nowhere near the first few rounds. Whether you like him 1st round or not, that's simply not so.
I keep hearing people say they don't want to pay for his "career year."
What happened when people paid for his career year from 2006? How'd that work out? ....Yeah.

Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I just question yours when you say things like you wouldn't want to take Nathan because he may be "midseason trade bait". You're not understanding the concept behind that philosophy. Only closers who aren't very good qualify for that type of reasoning, due to the fact they may no longer be closers once traded. A guy like Nathan (top 3-5), will be the closer wherever he goes.
Nathan's situation would most likely improve if anything....and Rollins, should be touched by any and all 20 foot poles....
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sevon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:20 am

gatorgreenwell wrote:Pujols-hurt

Lackey-hurt, member of '3500 club'
Harang-member of '3500 club'
Interesting article on the '3500 club':
http://kobayashibaseball.blogspot.com/2 ... -club.html

We need further conversation about this article. I would like some more opinions on this theory.
Sevon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tgalv » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:18 am

more pitches = more wear and tear obviously, but it seems kind of convenient to just retroactively pin all failings on that one fact. and when it doesn't work then use the rationale "well watch out it's coming" yeah no duh. eventually everyone will fall off.
Last edited by Amazinz on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove inappropriate language.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers