Players you won't own this year.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players you won't own this year....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Players you won't own this year....

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Pujols-hurt

Lackey-hurt, member of '3500 club'
Harang-member of '3500 club'
Interesting article on the '3500 club':
http://kobayashibaseball.blogspot.com/2 ... -club.html
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chipper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Esen wrote:Jimmy Rollins - wouldnt touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Yeah who would want him? :-o
Would you touch him with a 2nd round 20 foot pole? :-/

The Artful Dodger wrote:Joe Nathan, Huston Street - I wouldn't want to take a closer who may very well be midseason trade bait.

I can see not wanted to draft a closer who may end up a set man if traded, but Joe Nathan being traded can only helps his value. He'll remain a closer and most likely goes to a better team (Not that being on a better team increases save opps, but it definitely doesn't lower his value).
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:07 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Brandon Phillips - Unless I had the #1 overall pick and Tex, Berkman, C. Lee, and Upton are passed up, I wouldn't want to take him for where he's drafted. Not to say he won't come close or even repeat '07, but a lot to stake on him though.

Erik Bedard - Glad to have snagged him in the 12th of my dynasty league last year, but wouldn't want to take him with a 3rd round pick, probably early 4th round. I'd rather pass up on him for Verlander, Harang, or Kazmir later and invest in offense. I'm still bullish on him, more so than Josh Beckett, who's also going too high for my liking as well.

Joe Nathan, Huston Street - I wouldn't want to take a closer who may very well be midseason trade bait.

Any top 5 closer - On that note, I really don't want to invest in one in the first 6 rounds. Papelbon goes too high. I'd probably be partial to Putz or K-Rod (contract year) but typically, I feel there's better hitting value at around the times they're being drafted on average.

Juan Pierre - Never liked him, more so when he became a Dodger for the contract he signed with us, and doesn't provide a bunch of anything else.

Russell Martin - Another Dodger going too high for my liking. I like him, but for fantasy purposes, I don't think he offers much beyond a moderate power/speed ceiling. I'm thinking he runs a little less this year too. To be honest, I don't want a C until around the time I can get a sleeper like Soto or Towles or even deeper, Dioner Navarro.

Dan Uggla - Has some good pop for a 2B, but wouldn't touch that average. I'd rather wait on Weeks, Kendrick, or Kelly Johnson later.

Robinson Cano - I thought he was overrated last year and the same thing this year. If he moves up in the order, I'd be more bullish on him, but the fact he's been a 2nd half player the first few years of his career puts a downer of his perceived value in my mind.

Eric Byrnes - Just don't like where he's going. He peaked at an age where typically he should start to dip a bit. I'd rather take CB Young a round or two later.

Don't worry about Cano having a slow 1st half. He's already madecomments that he won't have that happen to him this season..
And also that he wants to make it to the all-star game as the starting 2nd baseman. You know why ? because it's in Yankee stadium...that's added motivation for Cano to do well...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:40 pm

chipper wrote:
Esen wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Joe Nathan, Huston Street - I wouldn't want to take a closer who may very well be midseason trade bait.

I can see not wanted to draft a closer who may end up a set man if traded, but Joe Nathan being traded can only helps his value. He'll remain a closer and most likely goes to a better team (Not that being on a better team increases save opps, but it definitely doesn't lower his value).

add chad cordero to that. he's more likely to get traded and then be a setup man elsewhere. those 2 above would keep the closer title.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Esen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:18 pm

chipper wrote:
Esen wrote:Jimmy Rollins - wouldnt touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Yeah who would want him? :-o
Would you touch him with a 2nd round 20 foot pole? :-/

Rollins is being drafted way too high sometimes even over Reyes and Hanley.
In my opinion he not worth that high of a pick and he will not be there in the 3=2nd round.
no way Im going to waste a 1st round pick on him - I do not think he is that elite of a player. its my opinion, you can draft him any way you want,
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Rollins is being drafted way too high sometimes even over Reyes and Hanley.
In my opinion he not worth that high of a pick and he will not be there in the 3=2nd round.
no way Im going to waste a 1st round pick on him - I do not think he is that elite of a player. its my opinion, you can draft him any way you want,

Yeah rollins prabably won't come near his numbers from last year, i also would have no chance of getting reyes, 1 because i have the 2nd pick :-b , and 2 i just flat out don't think he's all that great of a gy to have, alls he does is get some steals!!!!
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 4Pack » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:02 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:Pujols-hurt

Lackey-hurt, member of '3500 club'
Harang-member of '3500 club'
Interesting article on the '3500 club':
http://kobayashibaseball.blogspot.com/2 ... -club.html

Great article and my main competion on a yearly basis in my private league has Lackey, Harang and Willis. Guess maybe I will send a link to him and let him sweat it out! ;-D
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Oliver Perez for me.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby quicksilver8 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Give me a break about Rollins...I know each one of us is entitled to his opinion...but how can he be overvalued when he is a first round worthy pick? His historical stats clearly show he is capable of hitting 20+ homers and stealing 30+ bases and hitting for decent average. In that lineup, he is a virtual lock for 100 runs.

To each his own...but Rollins is a clear first rounder in most everyone's viewpoint.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:22 pm

I know not many of you play in points leagues, but in formats with all quantitative stats, Rollins is a pure stud, like maybe better than ARod. He had over 700 ABs last year. I agree that he's going a little too high for roto though, although not that much. I'm probably taking ARod, Hanley, Reyes, Wright, Utley, Holliday, and MCab over him, but after that, I'd say he's pretty much as good a pick as any.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers