Players you won't own this year.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players you won't own this year....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Players you won't own this year....

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Anyone know of some players they won't be owning this year due to their unusually high ADP??? Other owners reach way to early for them and I usually wait for players to fall to me.

Jacoby Ellisbury won't be on any of my teams. He is going way to early.

Erik Bedard - Second pitcher taken. You can match his stats with guys that can be had three or four rounds later.

Francisco Liriano - Ultimate Boom or Bust. Is he healthy? I won't pay that much to find out...

Joba Chamberlain - I'll take Broxton or H. Bell three or four rounds later.

JJ Putz - I never pay premiums for saves and closers vary so much from year to year...

Evan Longoria - this kid is a few years off from being a stud, but 80-20-80 seems to be his ceiling this year...

You guys got any thoughts or insights????
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Players you won't own this year....

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Agree I won't draft Ellsbury, Bedard, Liriano and Longoria. I may end up with them but those guys are going too early for my taste.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:20 pm

Alex Rios - Going way too early...
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:22 pm

Ichiro
Josh Beckett
Victor Martinez
Russell Martin
Most top closers
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Field » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Off the top of my head:

Any top tier catcher
Hafner
Tulo/Jeter
Papelbon (goes wayy to early as the first closer off the board)
Tejada
Byrnes
Oswalt/Halladay/Chris Young
Saito
Uggla
Hawpe
Pierre
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Esen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:37 pm

I never thought I would say this but in a draft league I probably will not own Pujols. And it is only due to his draft position against the risk against the other options out there a the time. AN auction is a different story.

But my list would probably be

Beckett
Manny Ramirez
Carlos Beltran
Hidecki Matsui
Matt Capps
Jimmy Rollins - wouldnt touch him with a 20 foot pole.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:50 pm

4 me its pretty much any good twins players. since its all pretty much twin fans with our league. i also think the top closers go way too early which i know people have already mentioned
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Brandon Phillips - Unless I had the #1 overall pick and Tex, Berkman, C. Lee, and Upton are passed up, I wouldn't want to take him for where he's drafted. Not to say he won't come close or even repeat '07, but a lot to stake on him though.

Erik Bedard - Glad to have snagged him in the 12th of my dynasty league last year, but wouldn't want to take him with a 3rd round pick, probably early 4th round. I'd rather pass up on him for Verlander, Harang, or Kazmir later and invest in offense. I'm still bullish on him, more so than Josh Beckett, who's also going too high for my liking as well.

Joe Nathan, Huston Street - I wouldn't want to take a closer who may very well be midseason trade bait.

Any top 5 closer - On that note, I really don't want to invest in one in the first 6 rounds. Papelbon goes too high. I'd probably be partial to Putz or K-Rod (contract year) but typically, I feel there's better hitting value at around the times they're being drafted on average.

Juan Pierre - Never liked him, more so when he became a Dodger for the contract he signed with us, and doesn't provide a bunch of anything else.

Russell Martin - Another Dodger going too high for my liking. I like him, but for fantasy purposes, I don't think he offers much beyond a moderate power/speed ceiling. I'm thinking he runs a little less this year too. To be honest, I don't want a C until around the time I can get a sleeper like Soto or Towles or even deeper, Dioner Navarro.

Dan Uggla - Has some good pop for a 2B, but wouldn't touch that average. I'd rather wait on Weeks, Kendrick, or Kelly Johnson later.

Robinson Cano - I thought he was overrated last year and the same thing this year. If he moves up in the order, I'd be more bullish on him, but the fact he's been a 2nd half player the first few years of his career puts a downer of his perceived value in my mind.

Eric Byrnes - Just don't like where he's going. He peaked at an age where typically he should start to dip a bit. I'd rather take CB Young a round or two later.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The River » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:29 pm

The Tiers of Doubt

1st Tier: Brandon Philips
Eric Byrnes

2nd Tier: Andruw Jones
Ben Sheets
Brad Hawpe

3rd Tier: Johan Santana (There is no reason why I would draft a pitcher in the 1st Two Rounds of any draft).
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Charette » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Pujols - Too risky for a first round pick. Rollins- , Cano, Kinsler, and Roberts are 2nd basemen going too early for me. Eric Byrnes and Carlos Pena are also going too early for my taste.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers