Kazmir - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kazmir

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kazmir

Postby mcd285 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:23 pm

He will miss his session on 3/16.

Mar 15 Brittany Ghiroli, of MLB.com, reports Tampa Bay Rays SP Scott Kazmir (elbow) will not pitch in the team's season opener as a result of his recent delay in returning to action.
mcd285
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kazmir

Postby Loose Circuits » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:24 pm

rotoworld is reporting that he won't start opening day either, and his 1st start will likely come in their 2nd series.

Either way, not good news. We'll have to wait and see how it works out...

if anybody has any scoopage, that would be great
Loose Circuits
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby theonetheonlypv » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:23 pm

rotoworld is now reporting that he could start the season on the DL:

Rays manager Joe Maddon said it was "probably more than likely" Scott Kazmir (elbow) would be sidelined at the start of the season.

The Rays do not currently have a set date for Kazmir's return to the mound. They're insisting that he hasn't had a setback, but it seems a perfect term for what's happened with him. Speculation is that he's still feeling some discomfort in his elbow while throwing his slider. Even Kazmir, who was completely gung ho for an Opening Day comeback, now believes backing off was the right plan. "I'd rather miss just a couple starts early in the year than miss a couple months during the year," Kazmir said. "I just want to make sure we get it right." Mar. 16 - 1:46 pm et
theonetheonlypv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigpoppalip » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:16 pm

I've owned Kazmir in at least one league for the last three years, and the Rays have never been straightforward about Kazmir's health - they always are overly optimistic. Won't be long until we hear this short DL stint has become a longer one.

This is why I don't own Kazmir anywhere this year. I also finally gave up this year on Sheets, not that there's any new bad news out of him. Watch, now both will post Cy Young campaigns.
bigpoppalip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The River » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Say it ain't so, the one year I go out on a limb and draft him as my #1 Starter... :-o
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cyclone177 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:58 am

Here is the latest news.... Not sounding all that bad. But early injuries to SP's are always bad news I guess. Remember last year how Carpenter's "elbow hinge" or whatever just continued to spiral downwards?

"Even if Kazmir (elbow) starts the season on the DL for the Rays, the team feels there's a decent chance they could activate him as soon as April 6, the Tampa Tribune reports.
Spin: According to the report, the Rays could put Kazmir on the 15-day DL during spring training and activate him on or about April 6, allowing them to carry another pitcher for the first week while also protecting themselves against the possibility that Kazmir still might not be ready by then. Such a strategy would cost Kazmir the team's Opening Day start, but that's about it, and would also allow the team to carry any remaining competition for rotation berths into the first week of the season. Note that under this approach, the Rays would have to put Kazmir on the DL by Friday or so, which would limit his spring outings after that date to "B" games, intrasquad games, or minor-league contests."

Rotowire.
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cyclone177 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 pm

For some reason, I am not very encouraged about this. :-S

After partaking in Wednesday's drills, Kazmir reported his arm to be the "same old" it has been in the past few days. The lefty said he played catch for about five to 10 minutes, and reported no pain and minimal soreness.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 am

I take it you're a Kazmir owner... I'm going to drive myself nuts with all of this... basically we won't know until Kaz throws a batting practice or something more intensive than "catch."

Soreness in the elbow (or all over) is very natural for pitchers in spring training... the Rays are being cautious and overly ambiguous in there press reports, I think there's a very good chance he misses 1-2 starts but there's also a chance he misses none and starts at the end of the rotation OR the Rays are hiding something serious here, then owners of Kazmir like me are up shits creek and get to sweat for awhile while the smoke clears...

all in all, it's premature to worry, BUT if I were a betting man i'd say count on 1-2 missed starts... the Rays may actually contend in the near future and won't sacrifice their ace's future!
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cyclone177 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:44 am

Yep, Kaz owner. In fact, I think he was the first pitcher I drafted. It would be just my luck, I took Carpenter as my first pitcher last year.
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slink » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:43 am

Cyclone177 wrote:Yep, Kaz owner. In fact, I think he was the first pitcher I drafted. It would be just my luck, I took Carpenter as my first pitcher last year.

Exact same situation as me. Kazmir was my first pitcher taken this year and Carpenter was my first pitcher taken last year.
slink
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates