Thoughts on my roster?? WHIR!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Thoughts on my roster?? WHIR!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on my roster?? WHIR!!

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:20 pm

12 Team 5x5 Roto
5 Keepers ( max. 1 from Rounds 1-4)
8th pick in snake draft

Round player was picked in parentheses.

C Joe Mauer (7)
1B James Loney (10)
2B Howie Kendrick (9)
3B Miguel Cabrera (1)
SS Stephen Drew (14)
CI Hank Blalock (20)
MI Tad Iguchi (19)
OF Grady Sizemore (2)
OF Alex Rios (4)
OF Manny Ramirez (5)
OF Juan Pierre (11)
OF Randy Winn (18)
UTIL Aubrey Huff (24)
Bench Ryan Church (27)
Bench Cameron Maybin (22)
Bench Carlos Quentin (25)
Bench Carlos Ruiz (26)

SP Brandon Webb (3)
SP Felix Hernandez (8)
SP Ted Lilly (16)
SP Phil Hughes (13)
SP Clay Buchholz (17)
RP Joe Nathan (6)
RP Rafael Soriano (12)
RP Joakim Soria (15)
RP Eric Gagne (21)
Bench Homer Bailey (23)

My Thoughts: Overall, I am quite pleased with how this draft went. Do I have reason to be? You tell me. I didn't love my position at 8th, but I made the best of it. My first round target, Chase Utley, went the pick before me so I wound up with Miguel Cabrera. Can't complain about that, I think a lot of people would take him over Utley. I think Sizemore was a bit of a reach in the second but a lot of my picks went off the table rapidly, I panicked a little, and something in my gut told me Sizemore was a good pick...let's hope so.

After the first two rounds, I was feeling a little shaky, but I thought the draft went really well after that, save for a couple hiccups. Loved nabbing Rios in the fourth, I think he'll put up similar or better numbers than Sizemore, who I took two rounds earlier. I inadvertently drafted Manny in the 5th when he was auto-drafted against my will, but I can't complain, he's still in the heart of a powerful lineup, you could do much worse in the 5th round. Papelbon was taken in the fourth, but luckily didn't spark a closer run, and I still got Nathan twenty picks later. I feel pretty optimistic about Soriano and Soria's reliability as closers...Gagne is a little scary but the other options in Milwaukee are equally crappy and it was slim pickings in the closer department at that point anyway, I thought he was worth a flier. Got Loney and Kendrick back to back as my starting 1B and 2B...I'm a little nervous about having so much uncertainty at those positions, but I think Huff and Iguchi offer a little bit of a safety net if either of them falters. I forgot to draft a backup SS so here's hoping Drew lives up to the sleeper hype from the get-go, or I'll be trawling free agency early on.

I'm extremely happy with how my starting rotation turned out, especially because I was intentionally not focusing on pitching in this draft. I think SP is even deeper than usual this year, and it looks like my suspicions were correct. To me, Webb is the hands-down third best pitcher in the league, after Santana and Peavy. I think Lilly was my steal of the draft in the 16th, and I love the upside of Felix, Hughes, and Buchholz, who I think will all be big this year. And then I got Homer Bailey who certainly has enough talent to be worth a flier as a 6th starter.

I like having two catchers on a team with so many roster spots...I'll fill in Ruiz, who seems like a nice sleeper, when Mauer has a day off. Maybin and Quentin make for nice sleepers as reserve outfielders and I took Ryan Church in the last round, I don't know why but I have a hunch he's going to have a big year in New York.

What do you think? How did I do? Do I have points of strength to trade from? Do I have any glaring weaknesses? Did I have any terrible picks? Great steals? Most importantly, do you think I could win a 5x5 12-teamer with this roster? WHIR!!
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on my roster?? WHIR!!

Postby bacdahelup » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:52 pm

The steals are Maybin, Gagne and just having 4 closers. If I were to target anything in trades it
would be a slugger and workhorse SP. If that were my team I would be trying to trade someone
like Juan pierre for a swisher or rich hill type of player

viewtopic.php?t=327400
bacdahelup
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on my roster?? WHIR!!

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Anyone else? WHIR
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager