State of Victorino - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

State of Victorino

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: State of Victorino

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:23 am

STILL not convinced, guys. Even if he shows the power-speed combo you anticipate -- and I'm not sold on that either -- that would put him on par with Corey Patterson, Coco Crisp, or even Dave Roberts, to name three. So why are these guys sitting on the waiver wire in most leagues, or available for dirt cheap, while Shane is being practically bid up into the top 75 or so players?

Like I said, Shane's likely to be a productive player, even very productive, but there are better and much cheaper options if you are looking for steals or the sort of 5-cat numbers you anticipate. Fantasy owners should realize that are far more speedy guys this year than there has been in the past, and some of them have decent power to go along with it. Absolutely no reason to go chasing Shane.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:21 pm

It's not my job to convince you of anything.

But if you can't see why a starting CF (Victornio) has more value than a backup CF (Crisp) then that's your problem.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smoovethug » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Matthias wrote:It's not my job to convince you of anything.

But if you can't see why a starting CF (Victornio) has more value than a backup CF (Crisp) then that's your problem.

;-D :-°

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:15 am

"But if you can't see why a starting CF (Victornio) has more value than a backup CF (Crisp) then that's your problem."

Yeah, genius? What's your argument for Shane over Patterson or even Roberts 10 rounds later? Oh yeah, you GOT NONE. Thought so.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:36 am

Secret Avatar wrote:"But if you can't see why a starting CF (Victornio) has more value than a backup CF (Crisp) then that's your problem."

Yeah, genius? What's your argument for Shane over Patterson or even Roberts 10 rounds later? Oh yeah, you GOT NONE. Thought so.

Let me see....

A) Roberts is 35 years old.
Victorino is 27 years old.
The prime age for hitters is 27 and hitters who rely upon their speed generally decline around 30.
B) Roberts missed a month with a surgery on his elbow last year.
Victorino also missed time with a calf injury but that's more likely to bounce back from.
C) Roberts hit .260 with 2 HRs in 396 ABs.
Victorino hit .281 with 12 HRs in 456 ABs.
D) Roberts had an OPS of .699 last year.
Victorino had an OPS of .770 last year.
E) San Francisco ranked 29th in Runs Scored last year... before losing Barry Bonds in the offseason.
Philadelphia ranked 2nd in Runs Scored last year... and have essentially the same team.

Now, do you really want to keep embarrassing yourself?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:49 am

Let me guess; you wouldn't stop anyways, so here's the answer to what would be your next post:
"Oh yah; and then what about Patterson? You haven't said anything about HIM, smart guy!!! You've only shot down TWO of my three examples!"

Short and sweet? On March 2nd, under four weeks ago, Corey Patterson had no contract. He had no team. He had nothing. He was signed to a minor-league deal with the Reds on March 3rd. Since then, he's beat out Freel for the job. The fact that Patterson has a full-time starting gig may not have really sunk into people drafting, and definitely wouldn't have for people drafting a week to ten days ago, since the starters weren't named then. So he may be close to Victorino's value at a cheaper price.

Victorino still out-raked him last year, hitting about 85 points higher in OPS, and a few more HRs. But Patterson has moved to a smaller park; he could improve.

But the real reason he hasn't been put on fantasy teams earlier is because he didn't have a real team to score points from.

Now.... are we done?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates