State of Victorino - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

State of Victorino

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: State of Victorino

Postby EverybodyHits » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Pochucker wrote: Can you think of anyone else drafted outside of the first 90 picks who could have first or second-round value this year

maybe uggla or hardy. but victorino is the premier speed guy to target this year!

nice writeup from roto-authority ;-D
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 388
Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: woohoo !

Re: State of Victorino

Postby JohanSantana54 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:45 pm

I think Kemp might be ranked top 24 players by the end of the season, and he is drafted well after the 100th pick in most drafts...
JohanSantana54
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: State of Victorino

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:58 pm

I dunno, guys. Seems like the Shane Victorino hype might be getting out of hand. He stole 4 bases -- yes, 4 -- in 2006 despite over 400 at-bats. He came out of nowhere in 2007 to steal 37. Ten times as many as he stole in 2006 on only a few more at-bats. Just think about that. Plus, he missed time last season with injuries that affect his running game.

I'm not saying he won't put up some nice numbers this year -- be probably will -- but those counting on 35+ steals with 15+ HR might be disappointed. I personally think there are better sources of cheap speed out there (Bourn, Taveras, Velez, Theriot, and maybe Rajai Davis) than to get into bidding wars for Victorino.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 3235
Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: State of Victorino

Postby smoovethug » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I dunno, guys. Seems like the Shane Victorino hype might be getting out of hand. He stole 4 bases -- yes, 4 -- in 2006 despite over 400 at-bats. He came out of nowhere in 2007 to steal 37. Ten times as many as he stole in 2006 on only a few more at-bats. Just think about that. Plus, he missed time last season with injuries that affect his running game.


Two words: Davey Lopes.

Victorino did steal 183 bases in 2600+ AB's in the minors so to say his stolen bases were "out of nowhere" is not only untrue but pretty foolish. You don't get nicknamed the Flyin Hawaiin for nothing!

Davey Lopes came along as the Phils new baserunning coach in 07 and he worked wonders for Victorino and the Phils running game as a whole. Not only were they more committed to running and being aggressive on the bases, but they were more successful at it too. This is evidenced by Victorino's fluctuation in SB%. In the minors he stole 183 bags and was caught 69 times, a success rate of 73%. Last year with Davey Lopes he stole 37 but was only caught 4 times, an outstanding success rate of 90.2%.

As you stated, he did miss time late in the year with ankle and hamstring injuries. If you look at his split stats and SB by month you'll see he only stole 5 bases (in 26 games) in August and September combined, while in April-July he stole 7-9-7-9 respectively. He basically stole 37 bases and didn't have his legs 100% for the last two months of the season. I do expect he'll miss time here and there with injuries because he plays so hard but to not mark him down for another year of 35+ sb would be a big mistake.
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Re: State of Victorino

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:39 pm

smoovethug wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:I dunno, guys. Seems like the Shane Victorino hype might be getting out of hand. He stole 4 bases -- yes, 4 -- in 2006 despite over 400 at-bats. He came out of nowhere in 2007 to steal 37. Ten times as many as he stole in 2006 on only a few more at-bats. Just think about that. Plus, he missed time last season with injuries that affect his running game.


Two words: Davey Lopes.

Victorino did steal 183 bases in 2600+ AB's in the minors so to say his stolen bases were "out of nowhere" is not only untrue but pretty foolish. You don't get nicknamed the Flyin Hawaiin for nothing!

Davey Lopes came along as the Phils new baserunning coach in 07 and he worked wonders for Victorino and the Phils running game as a whole. Not only were they more committed to running and being aggressive on the bases, but they were more successful at it too. This is evidenced by Victorino's fluctuation in SB%. In the minors he stole 183 bags and was caught 69 times, a success rate of 73%. Last year with Davey Lopes he stole 37 but was only caught 4 times, an outstanding success rate of 90.2%.

As you stated, he did miss time late in the year with ankle and hamstring injuries. If you look at his split stats and SB by month you'll see he only stole 5 bases (in 26 games) in August and September combined, while in April-July he stole 7-9-7-9 respectively. He basically stole 37 bases and didn't have his legs 100% for the last two months of the season. I do expect he'll miss time here and there with injuries because he plays so hard but to not mark him down for another year of 35+ sb would be a big mistake.



thanks for this info, this is useful. Shoot, I guess I got him already but it sure makes me feel better... ;-D :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: State of Victorino

Postby ctt8410 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 am

Yeah, it definitely didn't come out of nowhere. There were plenty of people on this board alone predicting 20+ stolen bases before the season last year. My concern is that everytime I hear Charlie Manuel talk about Victorino I'm left being convinced that Victorino will never get more than 500 ABs in a season.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 144
Joined: 8 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: State of Victorino

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:36 am

Still not convinced. I stand by what I said earlier: Shane is being overvalued when there are better (and cheaper) sources of speed out there. Unless your league counts cool names as a roto category, let someone else pay for the hype.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 3235
Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: State of Victorino

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:05 pm

I think Victorino is being appropriate valued. Many of the cheap sources of steals kill you in other categories. Victorino plays in a good lineup, in a small park, and is a decent hitter. The hype that he'll outperform his draft position is on target IMO.

Too bad he didn't fly under the radar in my league; went for $1 more than Hideki.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: State of Victorino

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:50 am

Secret Avatar wrote:Still not convinced. I stand by what I said earlier: Shane is being overvalued when there are better (and cheaper) sources of speed out there. Unless your league counts cool names as a roto category, let someone else pay for the hype.


its not just speed. its not as though hes going to hti .270 with 60 runs 3 hr and 40 sb...hes more of a combo type guy in my opinion. 12-15 hr 60-70 rbi 100 runs 40 sb with a solid .280ish avg.


great points smoovethug. lopes helped the phils have the best EVER stolen base percentage in baseball....ive stated my feelings on victorino several times on the cafe and everything smoove has said, ive also repeated. ;-D ;-D
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: State of Victorino

Postby WyldStallyn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:54 am

i agree with snakes. people arent drafting shane merely because they need steals. he will contribute in all 5 cats. im expecting, if healthy, 15 hr, 65 rbi, 90 runs, 40 sb, .280. if you compare to crawford last year:
11 hr 80 rbi 93 runs 50 sb .315
for over 90 picks later that aint too bad. of course this is all assuming he stays healthy, but im hoping he does as i have him in my main league. if you simply need speed and are set in your other cats, you can get taveras or bourn later in the draft, but they wont get you hr's or rbis while shane will contribute moderately in both, while hitting in a fantastic lineup.
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1927
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact