Chances Marmol becomes Cubs Closer?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chances Marmol becomes Cubs Closer??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chances Marmol becomes Cubs Closer??

Postby mak1277 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:05 am

The Cubs would be MUCH better off, in my opinion, using Wood as the closer and letting Marmol work 2 innings at a time like they did last year. Given Wood's history of injuries, he's probably not suited for multiple-inning appearances. Marmol, quite obviously, thrives in that scenario.

Letting Marmol pitch the 6th/7th/8th along with Howry and then letting Wood pitch the 9th under more controlled conditions (i.e. starting the inning every time, nobody on base, etc.) makes the most sense to me.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Redlegs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:33 pm

just skipped to the last message, so don't know if anyone posted it, just read today on mlb.com on the cubs page that pinella said wood is making his decision on closer easier (because wood has been performing well)

hope that helps
Redlegs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm

"The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Kerry Wood was scratched for Wednesday's spring training game because of lower back spasms. He was being treated by Cubs trainers at HoHoKam Park. "Look, he's been throwing the ball well all spring," manager Lou Piniella said. "Look, we do have one setback with Kerry (Wednesday) -- his back is really, really stiff and he's not going to be able to pitch Wednesday. It has nothing to do with his shoulder, or elbow, it's just with his back. He went to see a doctor, and hopefully we'll get him out there (Thursday) or the next day."
-CBS

The injury bug is biting Wood once again...so predictable. I am just waiting for the day when Marmol gets the full-time gig and I can laugh at the guys I drafted with for scoffing at me when I took him in the 20th round.
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 pm

I still think that we will see a multifaceted approach to closing w/ the Cubs this year. Marmol, Wood (before he hurt himself again) and Howry all could do it. Kevin Hart also has some 'darkhorse' potential and is listed as a 'set up man' in the Sun-Times article Dislexic Irishman posted the link to. So...if Hart is the 'set up man' is he the junior set up man in like the 6th inning and then Marmol for two and Howry in the 8th before Wood closes it out? Zambrano will then hit the DL after he punches Lou getting the hook in the 5th inning AGAIN and the Cubs will need to move Wood back into the rotation? Having four guys (or 3 guys, if you don't count Hart, b/c of his small sample size, he did do a nice job last year though...) is great but the fuzziness about a clear closer will lead to a committee, I think. :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:52 pm

ok so it seems like it will be wood, but i'm still drinking the marmolade. wood's got health questions and it wont be long until marmol takes over and wood is shelved.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jermhorse » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:22 am

I don't see wood lasting the entire season without ending up on the DL more than once. He has talent but Marmol is younger and more lickly to stayoff DL. Either way I still don't see either one of them getting 30+ saves this season, simply because they are both on the same team. They are going to have to share the role for at least the first half of the season, when undoutably Marmol will become the full-time closer. So in my opinion niether one is a solid source for saves, but if your league rewards holds as well, marmol or wood look like a solid pick. IMO
jermhorse
College Coach
College Coach

Postby McStallen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:20 am

I've had Marmol the last 2 years on my NL-only keeper team- I think he's a great young pitcher and am happy to have him but I am not relying on him for too many saves- I think the Cubs generally like to go with a veteran to close (maybe this was indoctrinated in them during the Lee Smith era), and Pinella is a guy who will almost always choose the veteran

So if Wood goes down, I think there is a decent chance that the Cubs could go with Howry or Dempster- so Im just saying you should temper your saves expectations- I think it's about a 30-40% chance Marmol becomes the full-time closer at some point during the season
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby jermhorse » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:19 am

McStallen wrote:I've had Marmol the last 2 years on my NL-only keeper team- I think he's a great young pitcher and am happy to have him but I am not relying on him for too many saves- I think the Cubs generally like to go with a veteran to close (maybe this was indoctrinated in them during the Lee Smith era), and Pinella is a guy who will almost always choose the veteran

So if Wood goes down, I think there is a decent chance that the Cubs could go with Howry or Dempster- so Im just saying you should temper your saves expectations- I think it's about a 30-40% chance Marmol becomes the full-time closer at some point during the season

Good point. Just hoping Pinella is reading this post and listening to my advice. :-b I'm holding onto Marmol in my leagues that count "holds" as a scoring catagory
jermhorse
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:48 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:don't worry guys. even if its wood, he calls the DL home.

Exactly. Wood will start as the closer. He will then get rocked or get injured, so Marmol will close for the rest of the season.

Wood 85%
Marmol 14%
Howry 1% (only if the other two gooes down)

What if Wood gets rocked?
Nothing. Demspter got rocked last year pretty badly from time to time and what happend. Nothing.
Wood will stay.
Even if Wood goes to the DL, Marmol will close that 2-3 games, than Wood comes back and close again.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Isn't this KERRY WOOD we're talking about? Hard to imagine his health holds up (he's already been shut down at least once in ST with back spasms). He'll likely have the CL job out of ST but I just can't see him staying healthy. Once Marmol steps in, he's got the stuff to take the job and run with it.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates