Avoiding Jose Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Avoiding Jose Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Avoiding Jose Reyes

Postby NYCBuckeye » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Anyone notice Reyes' numbers plummeted the minute Ricky Henderson was given a coaching job by the Mets? He started developing bad habits, wasn't running out balls, and his steals were way down (of course that had a lot to do with this OBP going down as well). Coincidence?
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 346
Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New York, NY

Re: Avoiding Jose Reyes

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Henderson was given the 1B coaching job in July and that does coincide with Reyes' struggles, however I believe that is entirely coincidental. Henderson had been with the Mets since 2006 as a special instructor specifically for Reyes. That year Reyes saw a dramatic improvement in his plate discipline, his OBP jumped 50 points from the year before. I can't believe that Henderson was good for Reyes for a year and half then gets promoted to 1B coach and suddenly becomes Reyes' kryptonite. Also, I don't think Reyes developed bad habits. He did make mistakes, however these were greatly magnified by the NY media because of the slump IMHO.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Avoiding Jose Reyes

Postby NYCBuckeye » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Good post Amazinz ... I guess I saw no real correlation between the two, but the timing of both Henderson's hiring and Reyes' slump makes for an interesting conversation. In reality, I think we (as Mets fans) tend to overthink this: it was just a slump. I would expect a season of .300, 16 HR, 78 RBI, 75 SB from Reyes in 2008 ...
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 346
Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New York, NY

Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Answer: Because Jose Reyes is the most overrated player in fantasy baseball.


Debate it.
Image
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 176
Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Re: Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Nice cherry picking! ;-D :-°
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:43 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Nice cherry picking! ;-D :-°


So he had the most SB's and some top-notch runs. That's 2 stats. He's a poor man's Adam Dunn.
Image
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 176
Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Re: Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby hot4tx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:47 pm

I would tend to agree that he's overrated in 5x5 when there's loads of guys available that will get better Rs and BA as well as not really hurt you in 2 categories. While he's not a 1-trick pony, having to "make up" for your first rounder in 2 categories seems silly to me.

Might as well draft Dunn up there as he'll be pretty good in Rs and RBIs, is almost a lock to be in or near top-5 in HRs and only hurts you in 1 category, unlike Reyes hurting you in 2.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1933
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:47 pm

Besaid_Aurochs wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Nice cherry picking! ;-D :-°


So he had the most SB's and some top-notch runs. That's 2 stats. He's a poor man's Adam Dunn.


Well first off he had 19 HR the year before so there is certainly room for improvement. He also hit .300 the year before so it isn't like there isn't upside in AVG either. He also had 81 RBI the year before so there is upside there.

Would you like him a lot more if he puts up 122 R, 19 HR, 81 RBI, 78 SB, .300 AVG... because that upside is most certainly in him.

I'd also mention that stats don't exist in a void. If a player hit .280 with 0 HR, 40 RBI but had 300 R and 175 SB he'd be the concensus #1 pick. You would just have to draft all HR/RBI guys for the rest of your offense.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:55 pm

Besaid_Aurochs wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:Nice cherry picking! ;-D :-°


So he had the most SB's and some top-notch runs. That's 2 stats. He's a poor man's Adam Dunn.


Yea if Adam Dunn hit 60 homeruns. Look, I don't really like Reyes and I don't own him on any teams, but when you start out your argument by obviously ignoring the 2 stats where he is the best in the game you sound ignorant.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Why would anyone pick a 12hr, 57rbi, and .280 guy 1st round?

Postby mbuser » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:01 pm

ryan howard's 07 is a better comparison than anything adam dunn's ever done, but i don't recall a lot of people saying he shouldn't have been a 1st rounder this season
Image
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1197
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact