Avoiding Jose Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Avoiding Jose Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Avoiding Jose Reyes

Postby daniel80111 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:24 am

As I've been reading about the top 5 picks in the draft, it seems as though a lot of people are shying away from Jose Reyes. What is the main reason for this?? Is it because there are just better options out there than him in the top 5? Or is it because people dont like the fact that he isn't a contributor across all 5 categories? I am confused because I remember him being talked about so highly across fantasy nation just a year ago, and now it seems as though everyone is somewhat down on him. With that said, is he more valuable in roto because of his elite SB totals?? Just want some opinions on him since he seems to have fallen a lot. Although a lot of magazines still have him ranked in the top 3.
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Avoiding Jose Reyes

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:31 am

I do believe he has more value in roto due to the fact that he has the ability to dominate the SB category in a 5x5 league. In H2H, SB's seem to be too volatile for him to be a top 5 pick. That said, the main reason most are shying away is the fact that a minor injury to his leg(s) will kill most of his value. Many do not want to put all of their "eggs in one basket". His 2nd half fade didn't help matters, either.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby daniel80111 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:37 am

pokerplaya wrote:I do believe he has more value in roto due to the fact that he has the ability to dominate the SB category in a 5x5 league. In H2H, SB's seem to be too volatile for him to be a top 5 pick. That said, the main reason most are shying away is the fact that a minor injury to his leg(s) will kill most of his value. Many do not want to put all of their "eggs in one basket". His 2nd half fade didn't help matters, either.

With that said Poker, would you put him in your top 5 this year? I think he could have a monster year, and last year is as worst as it can get for this guy.
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:46 am

Roto - Yes. H2H - No.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:59 am

also i think most people were expecting him to hit over .300 and 15+ hr. the fact that he hit .280 and only 12 hr (with only 57 rbi) makes him below average in three out of the five main categories. a tough sell.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daniel80111 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:03 am

Snakes Gould wrote:also i think most people were expecting him to hit over .300 and 15+ hr. the fact that he hit .280 and only 12 hr (with only 57 rbi) makes him below average in three out of the five main categories. a tough sell.

Thanks for the advice Snakes!! I guess people just fall in love with how exciting he is and dont realize that he can be a detriment in 2 categories!
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:51 am

Snakes Gould wrote:also i think most people were expecting him to hit over .300 and 15+ hr. the fact that he hit .280 and only 12 hr (with only 57 rbi) makes him below average in three out of the five main categories. a tough sell.

Agree with this. His HR/BA potential seems to be overrated by many and when you add the fact that he is just not a consistent performer and a just nagging injury can kill his value, there is too much risk in some people's minds for top5.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby roninmedia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:19 am

His second half-line was .251/.216/.371 and he stunk up September even worse. Was it possible it was only a slump as Willie Randolph hinted to due to lack of rest? He did improve his walk rate once again last year and he may continue to do so this year, bumping up his OBA with more chances for steals. That was one of the bright spots. Personally, I'm more worried about the possibility of an injury than any performance collapse this year. But if he ends up with that line as Snakes pointed out, that makes him about the same value as Ichiro.

I'm benefiting from this 'avoiding Jose Reyes' as Jose Reyes fell to me at number eight in a 5x5 rotisserie keeper league.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby daniel80111 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:00 am

You guys will probably hate me for this...but I ended up taking Reyes over Holliday for the 4th pick in yesterday's draft. I just have this eery feeling that Jose will do something incredibly special this season. You guys convinced me to go Holliday, but I chose Reyes with the timer at 3 seconds. Anyways I just wanted to thank everyone that helped me with this painful decision. hahah
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:33 am

daniel80111 wrote:You guys will probably hate me for this...but I ended up taking Reyes over Holliday for the 4th pick in yesterday's draft. I just have this eery feeling that Jose will do something incredibly special this season. You guys convinced me to go Holliday, but I chose Reyes with the timer at 3 seconds. Anyways I just wanted to thank everyone that helped me with this painful decision. hahah

I would have picked Holliday in a H2H league, but either way..you still got an elite player. If I pick Reyes in the 1st, I would just draft a bunch of power guys after him.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers