How does one scout MiLB? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

How does one scout MiLB?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How does one scout MiLB?

Postby Carey Saders » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 am

I'm just curious how you guys know so much about MiLB players. They are just names to me and all I have to go on are prospect rankings. So how do I improve in this area?
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How does one scout MiLB?

Postby stevethumb » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:18 pm

baseball america is ther top choice and john sickels minor league baseball site is great w/ alotta links and of course keep reading threads here and follow Hybrid's advice
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amatter32 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:25 pm

You can't just read BA. I tend to go to several sources for my information.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:51 pm

It's pretty important to find written information about prospects rather than just meaningless rankings. Guys ranked outside of the top 50 this year can easily become top ten guys next year because everyone knew they had the ability, but the results weren't there yet. To figure out starters who can make an immediate fantasy impact, finding pitchers with polished, well-rounded repertoires (see Tim Lincecum) rather than guys who just blew away the inferior competition based off the dominance of one or two pitches (see Andrew Miller) is pretty important. You can also figure out pitchers who were downgraded because of injuries but are primed for a major leap like Jordan Walden, a guy who was projected as an ace, mysteriously lost his velocity and has now gotten it back and could shoot into the top 25 with a nice showing in '08

Here are the blurbs from the 2007 FBC Prospect Rankings for Clay and Joba, with neither guy being ranked in the top 50:

51. Clay Buchholz (SP-Bos) Buchholz had a breakout year in 2006, doing wonders to put aside questions regarding his experience. While typically throwing in the low-90’s, Buchholz hit as high as 97 mph when he received the call up to high-A Wilmington. His repertoire also includes a solid curveball and a change-up. Perhaps the best thing about Buchholz: his arm has not sustained much wear and tear, as he is still relatively new to pitching. The Red Sox won’t rush Buchholz, but if he keeps pitching like he has been, he could be called up to Boston in late 2008 or early 2009.

64. Joba Chamberlain (SP-NYA) A Native American out of Nebraska, Chamberlain has battled weight issues his entire life. This has led to his Nebraska nickname “Joba the Hut”. On the field, Chamberlain features a mid 90s fastball, a slider, and a change-up, but it’s his curveball that may be his best pitch. Injury concerns may hurt his ranking, as in the past year he has had both knee surgery and elbow tendonitis. However, if healthy, Chamberlain should start the season in high Single-A ball, and advance quickly.

People here played up that Clay's repertoire was pretty established and if he proved it, he'd be gold. Joba was ranked lower due to injury concerns but he's hyped as a well rounded pitcher who would burst out if he stays healthy.

Andrew Miller was generally a top 15 prospect but struggled because he was a two pitch starter with weak command, like the scouting reports stated:

John Sickels in 2007 Preseason wrote:Andrew Miller: Andrew Miller is 6-6, 210 pounds, born May 21, 1985. He has been healthy and durable throughout his college career. Some scouts don't like his delivery and worry that he stresses his arm a bit much, but so far it hasn't been a real problem. His fastball is outstanding for a lefthander at 92-94 MPH, hitting 97 at times, with plus sinking action. His slider is outstanding. His changeup is mediocre and will need to be improved, but he's got the aptitude to pick it up with more experience. He has all the physical tools needed to be a dominant starter at the major league level, provided he refines his command a bit more.

Mike Pelfrey was also highly rated last year and struggled because he only had a fastball that could get major league hitters out.

Obviously, Miller and Pelfrey can still become nice starters but you can improve your chances at picking out the guys not ranked in the top 50 who have a great chance at moving up by reading about them and deciding whether or not they dominate the minors off the strength of one or two amazing pitches with spotty command or have the polish needed to get MLB hitters out relatively soon.

I got into prospects when I kept getting burned in my keeper league by other managers getting those rookie gems like Braun and Lincecum and in my ignorance, I dropped Cole Hamels from my minors system (only 3 guys each) because he kept getting hurt and I didn't think he'd ever be that successful. I picked up CB Young for him so it wasn't a complete loss but colossal mistakes like that will make you wake up. Now that I pay much closer attention, I have guys like CB Young and Joba Chamberlain on my team and others like Colby Rasmus waiting in the wings rather than wasting time on busts like Jeff Mathis. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby jwhands » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:28 am

I wouldn't suggest going with one specific person. Research on your own, as well as read what others have to say on players. I usually do stats analysis on players and mix it in with watching their game action. As far as stats analysis, I would suggest the following:

Batters:

Age/Level (based on overall experience)
HR's/AB
SB's/AB
SB's/CS
K's/AB
BB's/K's
OPS
Progression of #s as they advanced

Hitters:

Age/Level (based on overall experience)
K's/IP
OPP Avg
K's/BB
GO/AO
Progression of #s as they advanced

I hope this helps you with your analysis.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:01 am

Just some tips

- Rankings are for the most part crap, they are nice to read if your going to the bathroom ... but its just like reading fantasy rankings, with out substance they aren't worth that much.

- Learn what to look for in prospects, stats for most only tell half the story. Among many things ... What tools do they have? Do they have any projection? For pitchers, watch mechanics, stuff, control, hit/k ratios. Age vs. level in the minors.

- Read everything you can on prospects. Just by taking everything you can in, it will help you learn. But as you are try to understand why they think that prospect will do this. Understanding why people think a player will developement a certain way will help you in the long run ... whether they end up right or wrong.

- Lastly, you will be wrong ... a lot. Especially when you first get started trying to deal with prospects. It's not easy and even the best who get paid lots of money will screw up, it's something that keeps you humble even if you are good at it.

Anyways I hope that helps some, I'm always here to help people who are willing to learn etc.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:38 am

I have two main rules regarding minor leaguers. Firstly, I live in North Carolina where there are no major league teams nor am I near a major league city. So to watch ball games, I have to watch the minor leagues. Luckily I live near a Indians A club, Marlins AA club, and the Rays AAA club, so I get a chance to watch lots of minor league players during the year. I make most of my personal rankings off of what I see in those games. Also, I am lucky enough to have season tickets to the box seats at the Kinston Indians that is right beside the box that the scouts sit at. Scouts love to talk, and I love to listen to what they have seen that impressed or what they didn't like. My 2nd rule about minor leaguers is to listen to Hybrid about players that I don't know anything about. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carey Saders » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks so much for the help guys. Seems like the biggest issue for me is actually watching these guys play. How do I watch MiLB games?

Again, thanks for the help. You guys are awesome! ;-D
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 am

Carey Saders wrote:Thanks so much for the help guys. Seems like the biggest issue for me is actually watching these guys play. How do I watch MiLB games?

Again, thanks for the help. You guys are awesome! ;-D

Just find teams that are close to you. I don't live too far away from the Twins' AA affiliate and I always try to catch their games when they're playing the Binghamton Mets or a team with prospects I want to see play. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball