Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva

Postby yaboygino » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Parra 5 innings 3 hits 0 er 7 k's....which brings his era this spring to 0.64!
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:54 pm

give manny a spot in the rotation! they can't possibly think crapuano is a better choice???
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm

I've been saying it all pre-season, Parra should be in the rotation. The only way he doesnt make it is cause they chose to go with more of a "vet proven" rotation, either way Parra will start when one eventually sucks enough.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 pm

hybrid wrote:I've been saying it all pre-season, Parra should be in the rotation. The only way he doesnt make it is cause they chose to go with more of a "vet proven" rotation, either way Parra will start when one eventually sucks enough.

I think they may be careful with him because he has never thrown over 140 innings, and with his injury troubles.

Parra and Nueva should both be in the rotation though, both are better than the other options.

I also like both as sleepers if they do make the rotation..
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:50 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:
hybrid wrote:I've been saying it all pre-season, Parra should be in the rotation. The only way he doesnt make it is cause they chose to go with more of a "vet proven" rotation, either way Parra will start when one eventually sucks enough.

I think they may be careful with him because he has never thrown over 140 innings, and with his injury troubles.

Parra and Nueva should both be in the rotation though, both are better than the other options.

I understand that, but there are other ways of limiting his innings. You could have him on a pitch count limit or skip him in the rotation a few times. He pitched 137 innings last year, so a 30 or so innings increase would be fine as long as they keep an eye on him. I just dont see the point in handing the job over to guys you know will cost you games, when you can manage another arm the right way that gives you a better shot at winning.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby quicksilver8 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I agree with most of the posters on here...Parra and Villanueva are so much better than Crapuano and Bush, that it shouldn't even be a question. However, as Yoda mentioned, it is never just about talent (which is too bad).
I could see the brewers screwing this up and not giving these guys starting spots.
Based on talent, the rotation should be: Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Suppan, Villanueva...
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:11 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:I agree with most of the posters on here...Parra and Villanueva are so much better than Crapuano and Bush, that it shouldn't even be a question. However, as Yoda mentioned, it is never just about talent (which is too bad).
I could see the brewers screwing this up and not giving these guys starting spots.
Based on talent, the rotation should be: Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Suppan, Villanueva...

Agreed..which looks like a very solid rotation. However it will probably be

Sheets,Gallrdo,Suppan, Bush, Vargas or something ugly like that. I wouldn't even be surprised if Crapuano somehow ends up in the rotation, even though he has been terrible.

If they put in guys like Bush/Vargas/Crapuano over Villanueva/Parra... %-6
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kemper5 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:13 pm

True, Im sure they will stick ole' 4 IP, 5 ER, 2 K, 4 BB Bush and Crapuano out there and get behind the Cubbies and fall into 3rd place come May and be scratching their heads thinking, why is'nt this working, we got Bush and Crapuano and Gagne closing games? Wheanwhile, their young stud pitchers will be firing on all cylinders doing great.. But hey, it's the Brewers :-)
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kemper5 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Here is another thing to think about, Manny Parra is 25 years old (26 at the end of the season) and has been dominating the Minors for 5 YEARS!, he's not exactly a 20 year old Spring Chicken, as most know he had a dynamite minor league career and even threw a Perfect Game in AAA last year, are they going to keep him down until he's 27 Years old and then think, gosh, we better get this guy up at the big league level, Crapuano had another horrible season, we better try this Parra stud out :-t

Oh, the Brewers Tried Parra out as a starter last year on 7/28 and then on 8/2..How did he do as a starter???

12.1 IP, 2 ER, 11 K's..Um, yeah..Im not sure he's ready. :-t :-t :-t
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Not really sure how you say Capuano had "another" horrible season like he has stunk every year or something.

He was pretty good the two years before and good for the first couple months of 2007 until he went on the DL with a groin injury and he was even good his first season with the Brewers. He pitched hurt two games at the end of the season before going on the DL and his ERA jumped from around 4 to over 5.

Now I don't think Capuano has earned a spot for this year but I find it funny just how fast people turn on a pitcher and forget he wasn't all that bad before.

He is also yet another warning of guys who throw too many pitchers in a year as he started to break down in the 2nd half of 06 after throwing too many in 05 and then in 07 he spent time on the DL and then was ineffective.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers