Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva

Postby yaboygino » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Anyone got any info on these guys, they both are heaving great springs and have a chance at making the rotation.. any info on them??
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Manny Parra, Carlos Villenueva

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:28 pm

I am pretty sure Villanueva is a lock in the rotation right now, pretty much. However, I don't think Parra is expected to start off in the rotation.

I like both as sleepers, but Villanueva more since he is starting off in the rotation.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yaboygino » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Mar 11 LHP Manny Parra, in the mix for a potential starting job, shut out the Cubs for four innings Monday. Parra has allowed one run in nine innings this spring, far better than the early spring performances of RHP Dave Bush and LHP Chris Capuano.
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:07 am

Was just looking at this http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archi ... -cuts.aspx

Hopefully it's not Parra/Nueva...that would suck.

I have a feeling Parra will start the season in AAA, then will come up to the pen and then start later in the season.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:30 am

BJSFAN123 wrote:Was just looking at this http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archi ... -cuts.aspx

Hopefully it's not Parra/Nueva...that would suck.

I have a feeling Parra will start the season in AAA, then will come up to the pen and then start later in the season.

I actually don't think either of them start in the rotation unless they trade Vargas (and eat his salary). Plus, if you look at what Ned Yost has been saying this spring, it all about taking into account past years performance and determining who will begin in the rotation. That, to me, sounds like he'll be starting the veterans (Capuano and Bush).

I dunno know, maybe Villanueva gets some starts if Gallardo misses one or two.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EverybodyHits » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:13 am

worse case: vilenueva goes to bullpen w/ SP eligibility. good sleeper for daily roto ;-D
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 am

If Parra makes the team, as I expect he will, he will not be in the bullpen. He will be starting somewhere, either in Milwaukee or in Nashville. Yost has already said as much:

"Don't look for Parra to pull bullpen duty this season. Although Parra is open to being a reliever if it means he can start looking for an apartment or condo in Milwaukee, he sees himself as a starter. As do the Brewers.

Manager Ned Yost has talked this spring training about keeping starting pitching depth. That's difficult to do if you keep a young pitcher as a reliever and try to work him back into a starting role later.

"He's not only one of our top pitching prospects, he's one of our top prospects in the organization," Yost said. "You have to maintain your position that you're going to develop pitching. You just can't, every time you need a bullpen spot, grab a starting pitcher and throw him in there." "

http://www.huntsvillestars.com/news/Def ... ewsId=1427

In any case, I'll be drafting Parra this weekend with the expectation that he will start in the rotation (fingers crossed).
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:23 am

I'd be very surprised if Parra starts the season with MIL. It's never just about talent and showing you can do the job. It's more about opportunity. With so many other rotation options, it makes more sense to start Parra at AAA and promote him if the other guys can't hold their own.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 am

Unless there is a trade Parra will most likely start in AAA. The team has too many pitchers and he has an option. Vargas is having a great spring too and that is just one more 'veteran' option that he has to compete with.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dssguy99 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:52 pm

3 innings, Parra has 3 Ks and no runs...this guy looks good...better then Bush or Capuano.
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers