Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Jeter a good fielding SS?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes : 59

Re: Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm

The Jury wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:Proving me wrong doesn't prove you right my friend. You have no evidence to suggest that Arod would be a better fielding SS at this point. Jeter's defense is declining, Arod's defense is declining. Both of them are getting older and probably not better defensively. Since you will probably never see Arod play SS ever again i highly doubt you can prove he would be better. Even if Arod were better I doubt he would really be that much better, which is exactly what my initial comment was...

Objectively speaking (not taking any sides), where is your evidence to prove that "Its pretty clear that Arod would not be a better defensive SS than Jeter at this point in his career?"

How is it pretty clear, considering that A-Rod, by all metrics, was a better fielding SS than Jeter when they both played SS?

That was probably a poor choice of words. Thank you for pointing that out. Essentially my point is that I dont think Arod would be that much better defensively at short than Jeter at this point in their two careers. Ultimately, I agree along the lines of what Bronx has said here...

BronXBombers51 wrote:I don't see the point in putting A-Rod back on short at this point. They should have done it when they first dealt for him. At this point, at 33 years old and after he's been away from the position for 4 years, I don't see the point. Both A-Rod and Jeter are going to have to move to less-demanding positions soon, anyway.

While I don't think A-Rod would be any worse than Jeter on SS now, I also don't think you can expect him to go back to being the top SS in the league. He has bulked up since '03 and again, he hasn't played there in 4 years. I just don't think it's going to make that big of a difference. Their best bet is to put Jeter in the OF and A-Rod on perhaps 1B in a couple years.
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:14 pm

I am no expert on fielding statistics, and am not even sure which ones to trust more than others. However, when every single statistic and metric points toward Derek Jeter being a very poor defender, I am inclined to believe them. In my opinion, he is among the worst defensive SS in the game, and most metrics support that opinion.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I am no expert on fielding statistics, and am not even sure which ones to trust more than others. However, when every single statistic and metric points toward Derek Jeter being a very poor defender, I am inclined to believe them. In my opinion, he is among the worst defensive SS in the game, and most metrics support that opinion.

And 76% of the cafe voters agree ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby messenjah » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:15 am

Is he a good fielding SS? The answer is clearly NO WAY. Is he a valuable player, absolutely, and probably a hall of famer after he gets 3000 hits, but he is a bad defensive SS. He comes out in the bottom half of EVERY metric that tracks defense. If it were only one, maybe we could say it's just a bad number, but EVERY metric. He has no arm strength and plays shallow on the grass, and when he gets to those deep balls that Adam Everett makes look easy, he does this graceful jump throw which looks great, but isn't that affective. He is flashy and OVERRATED defensively. Overall is he one of the best players in the game? He's much better than Everett overall, but when it comes to purely defense, he couldn't hold Everett's jockstrap.
messenjah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 am

14 voters out there are drinking the kool aid. :-o
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 am

jake_harv88 wrote: 76% of the cafe voters agree ;-D

It's the 24% that worry me.

As FJM said in their article about fans defending Jeter....
"Are you awake, FJM guys? We're still out here. Morons, I mean. We totally outnumber you. We're loud, we're close-minded, and we dominate the media. We'll never stop being dumb about baseball. Never. We'll always keep the idiot ball rolling. Is that a pun? If it is, I didn't intend it."

As BH pointed out, it's not that Jeter is mediocre and so you're deciding if that qualifies as good... he's the worst-fielding SS of all of baseball.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers