Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Jeter a good fielding SS?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes : 59

Re: Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

Postby Guido_BagDonnavich » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Overall I think he makes way too many errors. He does always make amazing plays though, making it close. I'd have to go with no though.
~Guido BagDonnavich
Guido_BagDonnavich
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:09 pm

sblinyy wrote:It seems most of you are talking about just his fielding. I agree that his fielding is average at best, but it is his hitting, and leadership that make him a good shortstop to me. I mean the guy has gotten 200 hits in the last 3 seasons. That's not something to slouch on. I mean the only shortstops that got more hits than him last year were Jimmy Rollins, and Hanley Ramirez.

I think you read the question wrong. The debate is whether or not he is a good fielding SS.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Jury » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:26 pm

From what I've gathered through observation and reading, Jeter is a sure-handed shortstop with average-at-best range. He'll make good plays on the balls that he can get to.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Noggy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:45 pm

sblinyy wrote:It seems most of you are talking about just his fielding.

Considering the title of the topic is "Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?", I fail to see the problem.

As for my opinion. I don't think the flashy plays are the result of his lack of range. He makes those types of plays going to his right. His range that way is fine IMO, it's anything hit two feet or more to his left that's the problem. Overall I don't think he's the butcher that some metrics have made it look like, but I agree he has no business winning those Gold Golves. He probably peaked at slightly above average and he's below average right now.

While I personally would like to see him move to another position in the next year or two (either LF or 1B) but I don't think the Yankees will actually do it. I think he'll be the regular SS for better or worse until Posada's contract is up, and then he'll be the DH until he retires. I just can't see him moving to another position. The Yankees are welcome to surprise me, but I just don't see it.

AcidRock23 wrote:I dunno, going from being an OK 3B to being a plus 1B might help the team and then the Yanks could track down a purchasable defensively-minded 3B and solidify the whole infield more. Prospectus had a blurb that '1B is as wide open as it was May 2, 1939, the day Lou Gehrig asked out of the lineup' (Baseball Prospectus 2008, p. 342)

I don't think that will last very long. There's a switch hitting, good fielding first baseman currently playing down south who's a free agent next season. 3B is an offense position. Being an average fielder is ok if that person can mash and I don't think A-Rod will breakdown physically enough in the next handful of years that he won't be at least average.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:13 am

How did Jeter get 10 yes votes?

FRAA (Fielding Runs Above Average) adjusted for all-time

Last 3 years
http://www.fieldingbible.com/

He's not even CLOSE to average, let alone good.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:36 am

Jeter is not a good defensive shortstop, and that's all there is to it.

His hands are ok, he's got a strong arm and he's great on pop-ups....all true. He has no range, though. He's consistently at the bottom of the league in defensive metrics. He should never have won any gold glove (although I can come up with quite a list who could easily join him in that group.)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:52 am

KCollins1304 wrote:He isn't bad enough to move off of SS yet mainly because there isn't a better player to put there as far as overall value. Alberto Gonzalez is the AAA SS and he has a really good glove, but his bat probably makes him no better than a utility fielder. Sometime in the next couple years, the Yankees are going to have to move him to 1B or OF.

Right. If only the Yankees had someone else they could play at SS....

0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:54 am

sblinyy wrote:It seems most of you are talking about just his fielding. I agree that his fielding is average at best, but it is his hitting, and leadership that make him a good shortstop to me.

That would be because the poll question was, "Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

The poll question on if Jeter had the calmest eyes in the MLB was last week.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:05 am

Jeter's defense is clearly on the decline in my opinion. He's certainly overrated as a fielder I think we can all agree on that. But the simple fact that he didn't win the gold glove this year is evidence of his declining defense. Now I dont buy into the GG awards just like most people around these parts. But in years past he's always had the flash to bring that award to his name. However, he could not do that this year. Here's Jeter's PECOTA defense scores for the past 3 years:

2005: 11
2006: 5
2007: -7

I think its fairly obvious that his age is catching up. Also I would like to point out that Arod wouldn't be a much better SS at this point in his career. He's been a pretty poor 3B the past few years...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:16 am

jake_harv88 wrote:Also I would like to point out that Arod wouldn't be a much better SS at this point in his career. He's been a pretty poor 3B the past few years...

He's been a pretty poor 3B because he's a natural SS. What you're saying is, "I would like to point out that this new fishing pole is a hunk of junk. I tried shooting a bear with it and the bear didn't even flinch."
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers