Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Jeter a good fielding SS?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes : 59

Re: Do you think Jeter is a good fielding SS?

Postby Mugrila » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:21 pm

Statistically speaking, no. His 7 year averages in FPCT, RF, and ZR are at the bottom of qualified SS's (qualified meaning playing 2/3 of the team's games.) Fielding percent likes him the most and even then he was middle of the pack (12 of 23.) Range factor had him 18 of 23 and his average zone rating was 20 of 23. 2004 was a good year for him, and he's actually improved since 2001-2003 when he was nearly dead last of the qualified SS in RF and ZR. These don't always tell the whole story though. He does have a good arm, and as previously stated, does well on pop-ups in short LF. I certainly don't think he's the worst defensive SS in the league, but I haven't found any evidence of him being a good one.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:38 pm

I don't know if you were fishing for Yankee homers or what cordcords, but I think most of the Yankee fans that are interested in fantasy baseball and statistics can acknowledge that he is definitely below average. He isn't bad enough to move off of SS yet mainly because there isn't a better player to put there as far as overall value. Alberto Gonzalez is the AAA SS and he has a really good glove, but his bat probably makes him no better than a utility fielder. Sometime in the next couple years, the Yankees are going to have to move him to 1B or OF.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I don't know if you were fishing for Yankee homers or what cordcords, but I think most of the Yankee fans that are interested in fantasy baseball and statistics can acknowledge that he is definitely below average. He isn't bad enough to move off of SS yet mainly because there isn't a better player to put there as far as overall value. Alberto Gonzalez is the AAA SS and he has a really good glove, but his bat probably makes him no better than a utility fielder. Sometime in the next couple years, the Yankees are going to have to move him to 1B or OF.

What about that guy at third base?
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby cordscords » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:48 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I don't know if you were fishing for Yankee homers or what cordcords, but I think most of the Yankee fans that are interested in fantasy baseball and statistics can acknowledge that he is definitely below average. He isn't bad enough to move off of SS yet mainly because there isn't a better player to put there as far as overall value. Alberto Gonzalez is the AAA SS and he has a really good glove, but his bat probably makes him no better than a utility fielder. Sometime in the next couple years, the Yankees are going to have to move him to 1B or OF.

Just trying to settle a discussion between myself and somebody else. Wanted to see what the majority of people around here thought.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:

Yea eventually A-Rod is going to have to move too. I don't think he is a bad defender now though, most of his trouble was mental I think. He has pretty bad is 2006 but had a good/decent year last year. If I were manager, I think A-Rod would be better suited for 1B, and Jeter for whatever OF position is not filled by Jackson and Tabata if they make it, in the future. Perhaps after Damon's contract runs out, Jeter could move to LF. It's hard to tell what will happen at 1b, the Yankees could go after Teixeira in FA.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:

Yea eventually A-Rod is going to have to move too. I don't think he is a bad defender now though, most of his trouble was mental I think. He has pretty bad is 2006 but had a good/decent year last year. If I were manager, I think A-Rod would be better suited for 1B, and Jeter for whatever OF position is not filled by Jackson and Tabata if they make it, in the future. Perhaps after Damon's contract runs out, Jeter could move to LF. It's hard to tell what will happen at 1b, the Yankees could go after Teixeira in FA.

You really think Arod is better suited to play 1B? I think that is highly unlikely in the next 5+ years. Not only would it be a waste to move him to 1B, but I doubt he would want to take that short of hit to his pride. A move from SS to 3B is one thing, but 3B to 1B is an entirely different. He's far too talented in the field to even consider such a move at this point.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Field wrote:You really think Arod is better suited to play 1B? I think that is highly unlikely in the next 5+ years. Not only would it be a waste to move him to 1B, but I doubt he would want to take that short of hit to his pride. A move from SS to 3B is one thing, but 3B to 1B is an entirely different. He's far too talented in the field to even consider such a move at this point.

I dunno, going from being an OK 3B to being a plus 1B might help the team and then the Yanks could track down a purchasable defensively-minded 3B and solidify the whole infield more. Prospectus had a blurb that '1B is as wide open as it was May 2, 1939, the day Lou Gehrig asked out of the lineup' (Baseball Prospectus 2008, p. 342)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby stevethumb » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:09 pm

jeter makes "great" plays on routine ground balls and he can't get to the balls that good shortstops turn into great plays..he is below average in most fielding metrics
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:13 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I don't know if you were fishing for Yankee homers or what cordcords, but I think most of the Yankee fans that are interested in fantasy baseball and statistics can acknowledge that he is definitely below average. .

agreed
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sblinyy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:51 pm

It seems most of you are talking about just his fielding. I agree that his fielding is average at best, but it is his hitting, and leadership that make him a good shortstop to me. I mean the guy has gotten 200 hits in the last 3 seasons. That's not something to slouch on. I mean the only shortstops that got more hits than him last year were Jimmy Rollins, and Hanley Ramirez.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers