Chris B. Young vs. BJ Upton (OF Controversy) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris B. Young vs. BJ Upton (OF Controversy)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris B. Young vs. BJ Upton (OF Controversy)

Postby jamastaballa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:25 am

In an h2h points league, how different are these guys? Wouldn't it be true that Young may have a larger upside because he's not going to bat .237 for his entire career? I mean, they scored the exact same amount of points last year, but Upton had almost 100 OBP points on him...

Help!
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

R. Martin, G. Atkins, J. Rollins, A. Hill, D. Wright, A. Gordon,
E. Renteria, Crawford, M. Ramirez, P. Burrell, N. Markakis, C. Hart

Lincecum, J. Cueto, H. Street, G. Sherrill, M. Capps, AJ Burnett, Putz, B. Myers, Harden, Bedard,
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Chris B. Young vs. BJ Upton (OF Controversy)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 am

i think the difference is that upton's value lies with him having 2b eligibility and a higher average.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jamastaballa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:40 am

I guess I see what you mean, but I'm more asking how different you feel like these guys are - I mean, do you expect Upton to be that much better, or could I get by trading Upton and plopping Young into his spot in my OF?
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

Lincecum, J. Cueto, H. Street, G. Sherrill, M. Capps, AJ Burnett, Putz, B. Myers, Harden, Bedard,
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby makewayhomer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:48 am

jamastaballa wrote:I guess I see what you mean, but I'm more asking how different you feel like these guys are - I mean, do you expect Upton to be that much better, or could I get by trading Upton and plopping Young into his spot in my OF?

i think you are going about it the wrong way. keep upton at 2b. trade away your other 2b
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jamastaballa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:01 am

Maybe... I've got Uggla though...

Thanks for your advice, fellas.
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:31 am

jamastaballa wrote:I mean, they scored the exact same amount of points last year, but Upton had almost 100 OBP points on him...

Don't forget that BJ had almost 100 fewer ABs than Young. They might have scored the same amount of points, but that's mostly due to CBY having almost 20% more ABs. BJ is much faster, will hit for a much better average, and overall has the highest upside of the two (IMO). I'd still rather have BJ than CBY, even considering their respective ADPs - especially for this year as BJ is 2B/OF eligible.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:32 am

Fade2White12 wrote:
jamastaballa wrote:I mean, they scored the exact same amount of points last year, but Upton had almost 100 OBP points on him...

Don't forget that BJ had almost 100 fewer ABs than Young. They might have scored the same amount of points, but that's mostly due to CBY having almost 20% more ABs. BJ is much faster, will hit for a much better average, and overall has the highest upside of the two (IMO). I'd still rather have BJ than CBY, even considering their respective ADPs - especially for this year as BJ is 2B/OF eligible.

Agreed.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby jamastaballa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:40 am

That's even MORE helpful! Thanks again! Totally forgot about the AB's thing... and about 75 more PA's too.

One thing I didn't expect, though, is that Upton still struck out more!
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby makewayhomer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:44 am

here are the PECOTA's for each guy

AB R HR TB RBI SO SB AVG
566 102 31 296 95 126 26 0.274
521 90 18 232 68 139 31 0.27

(Young is on top)

even considering position, I have Young higher. PECOTA actually sees them hitting for a similar AVG. Young has a lot more power, so he gets a big edge in HR and RBI, and TB's if you count that. Upton will also strike out more, which hurts him. The one place Upton gets an edge is in steals, and even that is close

CHONE sees something similar. the big difference is Young's RBI. his HR/RBI ratio was one of the worst ever, b/c he was hitting leadoff in the NL and his avg was so bad. with a bit better luck, improvement, and moving back in the order, his 30 hr's should be good for 90 rbi

ZIPS is the one system of the 3 which actually thinks Upton will hit for a much higher avg.
Last edited by makewayhomer on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:53 am

521 ABs for Upton is most definitely on the low side. Being the full-time CF and hitting cleanup or higher all year makes 521 seem very conservative, IMO. I say another 40-50 is more likely.

In regards to his K totals, Upton's career MiLB K rate was 1:5 PAs. In contrast, CBY's was 1:4.5. While not too much of a difference, it doesn't necessarily mean Upton will have the greater K totals. It just as easily could be Young instead.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers