Let's Talk Joba - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's Talk Joba

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Let's Talk Joba

Postby gogogadget » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Peter Gammons just said on ESPN that he thought Joba would be in the set-up role for the entirety of this season and wouldn't get a spot in the rotation until the next season.
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:40 pm

gogogadget wrote:Peter Gammons just said on ESPN that he thought Joba would be in the set-up role for the entirety of this season and wouldn't get a spot in the rotation until the next season.

Hear that guys?!

Bump him up your draft charts...he'll probably be the Opening Day starter. ;-7 ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeah, I think Gammons is off here. It doesn't make any sense to make someone a reliever one year, knowing you're going to make them a starter the next.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gang Green » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:31 pm

If Humberto Sanchez, who was a big piece of the Sheffield deal, is healthy, then I see them inserting Sanchez into Joba's role as the 8th inning set-up guy sometime over the spring. If the Yankes don't feel a need to put Joba in the rotation by the time Sanchez is ready, then they have a rock solid 7-8-9 trio in Sanchez/Joba/Mo. Eventually, I see the Yanks turning to Sanchez as the heir apparent to Mo and see Joba as their future #1 so it makes sense to stick Joba in the rotation for 140-150 innings this year while grooming Sanchez to replace Mo.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colt4523 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Joba is going to need to get his armed stretched out to be able to handle starting. An inning here and there is not going to that. If they keep him in the bullpen the entire year, then it would look like they want him to stay there next year, which I do not think will be the case. I do not think Mussina will make it through the entire year, so they will need someone to replace him.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 81)

Postby markj11 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 am

My league counts K/9, K/BB, and HLDs along with the standard categories. We also get to keep a rookie the following year as an eleventh round pick. I was considering reaching for him but his ADP is the 11th and that seems way too early.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:32 am

markj11 wrote:My league counts K/9, K/BB, and HLDs along with the standard categories. We also get to keep a rookie the following year as an eleventh round pick. I was considering reaching for him but his ADP is the 11th and that seems way too early.

He should be excellent in all three of those categories, I would take him somewhere around 11-13th round.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:35 am

I was thinking about how they are going to stretch him out the other day. It seems to me that it would be just as easy to stretch him out while keeping him on the MLB club. They could have him gradually pitch longer relief stints with more rest in between them until he works himself up to a ~90 pitch count.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mkultra » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:47 am

I saw Joba go in the 8th round of 2 drafts, which seemed crazy to me even before it was confirmed he would start in the 'pen. Ahead of folks like Gallardo, Pedro, Dice-K, and Myers.

Folks, I'm a big Yankees fan and love watching him pitch, but c'mon, he's got about 25 major league innings under your belt. Unless you're playing in a long-term keeper league, let someone else make that decision for you.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers