Let's Talk Joba - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's Talk Joba

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's Talk Joba

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 am

Is he going to be in the rotation to begin the season or what? I'd kept hearing the opposite early in the spring, but in his last outing he threw about 40-some pitches (granted about 24 of 'em were in one at-bat where Eddie E. kept fouling his pitches off).

I know they're talking about an innings limit of 130 or so for him this year, but would you really expect the Yankees to keep their word if he was pitching lights-out from the get-go?

I thought I would see more chatter on Joba from the Yankees fans & general fantasy experts among us here, but it's been a bit quiet lately.

Are any of you guys trying to draft Joba? Stashing him on your bench? What if you're in a league with no bench spots? Sorry for all the obnoxious questions, but I'm trying to generate some Joba talk, 'cause k/9 ratios like that don't grow on trees.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's Talk Joba

Postby blankman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:03 pm

I expect them to hold on their 140 inning stance, at least in the regular season.

Everything we've heard has him in the bullpen for about half the year, then stretching out for a couple weeks in the minors and then coming back as a starter for the rest of the year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JimmyBaseball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 pm

Yankee fans don't think baseball exists outside of the Northeast, which is precisely wrong.

Unfortunately these people think that Joba will pitch 250 Innings this year. Along with this he'll have 300 K's, 23 W's, 2 perfect games, and 10 saves (somehow).

The reality of the matter is that if 2 of their 3 touted young pitchers actually makes it to the status of consistent starter and is still in the biz in 5-6 years, it will be a success.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby apz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Maybe it's because I'm in the NYC area and have friends that are Yankee fans, but I'm sick of hearing about Joba. I have a friend in my league that's actually considering keeping Joba and giving up his 5th round pick. I'll need to see Joba hold down a job as a fulltime starter or closer for a while before I'll buy into the hype. Setup men don't thrill me.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:34 pm

JimmyBaseball wrote:Yankee fans don't think baseball exists outside of the Northeast, which is precisely wrong.

Unfortunately these people think that Joba will pitch 250 Innings this year. Along with this he'll have 300 K's, 23 W's, 2 perfect games, and 10 saves (somehow).

The reality of the matter is that if 2 of their 3 touted young pitchers actually makes it to the status of consistent starter and is still in the biz in 5-6 years, it will be a success.

I think that the greater majority of Yankee fans don't want Joba starting ever, at least that's what I've found from talking to plenty of Yankee fans about the situation.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
JimmyBaseball wrote:Yankee fans don't think baseball exists outside of the Northeast, which is precisely wrong.

I think that the greater majority of Yankee fans don't want Joba starting ever, at least that's what I've found from talking to plenty of Yankee fans about the situation.

Unfortunately there are some of them that want him to be the closer. Throwing 200 innings is worth a lot more than 100 innings, though he's going to throw 140-150 this year.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jcobb79 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Yea that is exactly the way I think ;-7 .

As far as the original question all indications are that Joba will start in the 8th inning baring injury to the projected starting 5 (Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and Kennedy). In the past month or so I have heard no rumors from the Yankee's camp to the contrary. Last season the big threes IP looked like this; Kennedy 146 IP, Hughes 109 (injuried in 2007, 2006 146 IP), Chamberlain 112 IP. Given no one expects the Yankee's brass to let these guys burn their arms out by throwing 200 inning they really have no choice but to start Chamberlain in the bullpen thus allowing him to get to about 145 IP. I think in an ideal world the Yanks would like to start with Joba in the pen until they find out if anyone else in the garbage heap they have for the rest of the BP can step up and take over for him, or hope that by mid season someone from the farm can step in (Humberto Sanchez, Jeff Marquez, Alan Horne?). That being said if someone goes down in the rotation I imagine Chamberlain will be the first one to get the call to pitch every 5th day. In terms of being drafted I am still seeing him go pretty high in a cafe league draft I did last night he went in the 12th round. Grant it that league has a hold cat so no matter what he has value but Broxton and Bentancourt didn't go until the 16th so you can see he is being valued higher for potential starting value.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:01 pm

jcobb, thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a Yankee-basher or Yankee-booster thread, just lookin' for the straight dope on Chamberlain.

I don't think you can automatically disregard him as just a set-up man either, his K/9 is outrageously good and he will be in the rotation at some point. I agree he hasn't proven himself as a starter, but fantasy baseball is all about speculation, and you wouldn't want to pass up talent if it's right in front of you so that's why I'm curious about Joba. If he could keep up his ratios as a starter and stay healthy, etc. there's no telling how great he could be.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:57 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:jcobb, thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a Yankee-basher or Yankee-booster thread, just lookin' for the straight dope on Chamberlain.

I don't think you can automatically disregard him as just a set-up man either, his K/9 is outrageously good and he will be in the rotation at some point. I agree he hasn't proven himself as a starter, but fantasy baseball is all about speculation, and you wouldn't want to pass up talent if it's right in front of you so that's why I'm curious about Joba. If he could keep up his ratios as a starter and stay healthy, etc. there's no telling how great he could be.

While he hasn't proven himself as a start in MLB, he started all of last year (A-AAA) before he came up and joined the bullpen. He has always been a starter and being in the bullpen at the end of last season was just to limit his innings while still contributing. Cashman was interviewed on Mike and Mad Dogg the other day and they wanted Joba in the bullpen, but Cashman was adamant that they would follow through with their plan to get him in the rotation.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:47 am

jcobb79 wrote:

Yea that is exactly the way I think ;-7 .

As far as the original question all indications are that Joba will start in the 8th inning baring injury to the projected starting 5 (Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and Kennedy). In the past month or so I have heard no rumors from the Yankee's camp to the contrary. Last season the big threes IP looked like this; Kennedy 146 IP, Hughes 109 (injuried in 2007, 2006 146 IP), Chamberlain 112 IP. Given no one expects the Yankee's brass to let these guys burn their arms out by throwing 200 inning they really have no choice but to start Chamberlain in the bullpen thus allowing him to get to about 145 IP. I think in an ideal world the Yanks would like to start with Joba in the pen until they find out if anyone else in the garbage heap they have for the rest of the BP can step up and take over for him, or hope that by mid season someone from the farm can step in (Humberto Sanchez, Jeff Marquez, Alan Horne?). That being said if someone goes down in the rotation I imagine Chamberlain will be the first one to get the call to pitch every 5th day. In terms of being drafted I am still seeing him go pretty high in a cafe league draft I did last night he went in the 12th round. Grant it that league has a hold cat so no matter what he has value but Broxton and Bentancourt didn't go until the 16th so you can see he is being valued higher for potential starting value.

;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers