Manny Ramirez & 'The Secret' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Ramirez & 'The Secret'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Ramirez & 'The Secret'

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:19 am

Manny Ramirez, philosopher:

“You’ve got to be a boat knowing where you’re going,” saith the sage of the Green Monster. “We’ve got money. We’re famous. But you’ve got to know what you want.”

Manny seemed like a new man Thursday, sitting at his locker with a peaceful look and a soft voice in a 10-minute interview with The Associated Press, then taking the inspirational book, “The Secret,” from his shelf and using a pink highlighter to mark passages.

“Hey, you’re the architect of your life,” he said. “Let me tell you something. We’ve got so much bad stuff inside, it’s up to us to make the best of it.”

Now he’s engrossed in “The Secret.”

“It’s about life. It’s good. You should read it. Go and buy it,” he advised a reporter. “Sometimes you go and read a book and that person who wrote it, all his experience that he got in 50 years, you get in one day if you read a book.”

AP | FULL STORY

Anybody ever heard of the book or movie 'The Secret'? Prior to this past September, I hadn't. One of the guys I teach with is a full blown believer in it and its message, and literally lives his life following its principles. It's along the lines with 'The Power of Positive Thinking' but goes a step further. There's hundreds of people claiming that following it has led them to getting exactly what they want, etc. etc. There's a degree of belief that I have in it, although I am skeptical on several levels, but if Manny is really into it, it would not shock me to see him have a tremendous bounce back year (I suppose being a phenomenal hitter to begin with doesn't hurt, either B-)) I found this interesting, though, having just heard of 'The Secret' within the last six months or so, and seeing the movie. I recommend it, even if its just for the sake to ring your skeptic alarm.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Manny Ramirez & 'The Secret'

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:10 am

MrsAcidRock got it and said 'that book sucks'.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby RugbyD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:29 am

all that matters is if it will keep him on the field more than 135 games. I have my doubts.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby makewayhomer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:06 am

RugbyD wrote:all that matters is if it will keep him on the field more than 135 games. I have my doubts.

he's been a full time player for 13 seasons. only twice has be played less then 130, and never has he played less than 118. say what you will about Manny, he's been very durable, and over the last 13 seasons is near the top of the majors in Games Played.
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:08 am

makewayhomer wrote:
RugbyD wrote:all that matters is if it will keep him on the field more than 135 games. I have my doubts.

he's been a full time player for 13 seasons. only twice has be played less then 130, and never has he played less than 118. say what you will about Manny, he's been very durable, and over the last 13 seasons is near the top of the majors in Games Played.

And he's come into camp in better shape than he has in any season since he's been with the Sox.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 am

Hopefully it does not make him any more serene than he already is. ;-7
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 am

Let's be serious, there is no way Manny is going to finish reading that whole book. I mean its what 200 pages, that is a lot of time for manny to sit still and read.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:02 pm

makewayhomer wrote:

Its easy to be durable when your'e young, less so when you're in your mid-30s. Two consecutive years of 130ish, many of the days off being one-here-one-there, and its prefectly reasonable to expect him to struggle to break 140 and maybe even 135. And of course he's in the top of the majors in GP over the last 13 years; few players actually get to 13 years and fewer still remain starters for all 13. That stat speaks far more to his great skills than his health.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby makewayhomer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:18 pm

RugbyD wrote:
makewayhomer wrote:

Its easy to be durable when your'e young, less so when you're in your mid-30s. Two consecutive years of 130ish, many of the days off being one-here-one-there, and its prefectly reasonable to expect him to struggle to break 140 and maybe even 135. And of course he's in the top of the majors in GP over the last 13 years; few players actually get to 13 years and fewer still remain starters for all 13. That stat speaks far more to his great skills than his health.

remaining healthy is a skill
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kemper5 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:22 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Manny Ramirez, philosopher:

“You’ve got to be a boat knowing where you’re going,” saith the sage of the Green Monster. “We’ve got money. We’re famous. But you’ve got to know what you want.”

Manny seemed like a new man Thursday, sitting at his locker with a peaceful look and a soft voice in a 10-minute interview with The Associated Press, then taking the inspirational book, “The Secret,” from his shelf and using a pink highlighter to mark passages.

“Hey, you’re the architect of your life,” he said. “Let me tell you something. We’ve got so much bad stuff inside, it’s up to us to make the best of it.”

Now he’s engrossed in “The Secret.”

“It’s about life. It’s good. You should read it. Go and buy it,” he advised a reporter. “Sometimes you go and read a book and that person who wrote it, all his experience that he got in 50 years, you get in one day if you read a book.”

AP | FULL STORY

Anybody ever heard of the book or movie 'The Secret'? Prior to this past September, I hadn't. One of the guys I teach with is a full blown believer in it and its message, and literally lives his life following its principles. It's along the lines with 'The Power of Positive Thinking' but goes a step further. There's hundreds of people claiming that following it has led them to getting exactly what they want, etc. etc. There's a degree of belief that I have in it, although I am skeptical on several levels, but if Manny is really into it, it would not shock me to see him have a tremendous bounce back year (I suppose being a phenomenal hitter to begin with doesn't hurt, either B-)) I found this interesting, though, having just heard of 'The Secret' within the last six months or so, and seeing the movie. I recommend it, even if its just for the sake to ring your skeptic alarm.

Excellent book. I actually own a store that sells this book and the CD set if you prefer to listen to it. Good for him that he's into it, it's absolutely about positive thinking and getting what you want. I expect a 30+/100+/.300+ bounce back.. He's just a straight up great hitter.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers