Upcoming Minor League Draft Help... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Upcoming Minor League Draft Help...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upcoming Minor League Draft Help...

Postby Jackalope » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Upcoming draft has a few solid prospects avaliable:

Cueto, Moustakas, Morales, Barton, Headley, Heyward, Vitters, Clement, Marrero, Villalona, Truenfiel, LaPorta, and ALL COLLEGE PLAYERS. (Alvarez and Smoak are intriguing)

My current minor league roster includes:

P Chamberlain (Soon to graduate)
OF Maybin (Soon to graduate)
P Kershaw
P Price
OF Tabata
OF Snider

I have good depth in the minors but all at two positions (OF and P) who should I go with?
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Upcoming Minor League Draft Help...

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:08 am

If you have first pick, Heyward is without a doubt my first pick of that group of players. After him I would probably go Alvarez, Moustakas, LaPorta, Marrero, Villalona, Triunfel, Clement.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jackalope » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 am

raiders_umpire wrote:If you have first pick, Heyward is without a doubt my first pick of that group of players. After him I would probably go Alvarez, Moustakas, LaPorta, Marrero, Villalona, Triunfel, Clement.

I'm a bit surprised by your suggestion of Heyward there, knowing your support for the Rays hoping to land Alvarez.

I draft 3rd ... I have a feeling that Moustakas and Morales will go in front of me.
Can you expand on your reasons for Heyward there?

thanks
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AEMRICH » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:27 pm

i'd probably go with Alvarez and then Heyward. I think that Alvarez will be in the top 10 prospects for the start of next year. I like Heyward a lot though as well except i think he is a couple years away.
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Jackalope » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:56 pm

any other responses... I'm now torn between taking Alvarez or taking Heyward and hoping noone thinks of drafting a college player....
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:15 am

It would be between Alvarez and Heyward for me as well. I'd probably give an edge to Alvarez since even though he is in college he should get to the majors a year or so before Heyward. Also while Heyward has been great in H.S., Alvarez has proven himself against higher compeition in college and has been considered to be the top college bat for quite a while now. In short both have great potential, Alvarez has just proven himself more and is a safer bet.

Oh and on Heyward, I along with others consider him the top H.S. bat from last years draft. Moustakas may be safer at this point, but I really like Heywards potential.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:32 am

Jackalope wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:If you have first pick, Heyward is without a doubt my first pick of that group of players. After him I would probably go Alvarez, Moustakas, LaPorta, Marrero, Villalona, Triunfel, Clement.

I'm a bit surprised by your suggestion of Heyward there, knowing your support for the Rays hoping to land Alvarez.

I draft 3rd ... I have a feeling that Moustakas and Morales will go in front of me.
Can you expand on your reasons for Heyward there?

thanks

It is extremely close for me with Heyward and Alvarez. As far as my Rays bias, I don't let it bother me when selecting my team. Heyward was the top power bat in the draft last year and selected by a team that has a solid minor league organization to help Heyward improve. Alvarez is the best bat available this year in the draft and is possibly the best bat we have seen in the draft since Tex several years back. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I would probably select Heyward since he is already in the minor leagues and there could be a chance Alvarez falls to you in the 2nd round since he is still a college player and hurt at this time. I don't think Heyward falls to you in the 2nd round at all.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball