"Farm System" or "Minor League's" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

"Farm System" or "Minor League's"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: "Farm System" or "Minor League's"

Postby pjalst » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Matthias wrote:Do you use a snake draft or auction?

Yes we do a snake daft after you factor out the keepers.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:13 pm

That's more difficult then because the cleanest way to do it is to have players who are designated as minors (however you define it, you could say anyone drafted as a minor-leaguer but never put into an active roster is a, "minor leaguer") just have a smaller keeper penalty than the rest.

The way I would do it with your system is designate a certain number of regular keepers and then a certain number of minor-league keepers. And then, to get what you want, define minor leaguer as above: anyone drafted before they qualify for the ROY award is a minor-leaguer and people can leave players in those slots as long as they want, so long as they don't use them. So if they want to draft Kershaw this year, they could stash him for 2 years, even if he starts playing, while he becomes worth a normal pick. I would also throw on the restriction that minor leaguers have to be drafted, not claimed via waivers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pjalst » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Matthias wrote:That's more difficult then because the cleanest way to do it is to have players who are designated as minors (however you define it, you could say anyone drafted as a minor-leaguer but never put into an active roster is a, "minor leaguer") just have a smaller keeper penalty than the rest.

The way I would do it with your system is designate a certain number of regular keepers and then a certain number of minor-league keepers. And then, to get what you want, define minor leaguer as above: anyone drafted before they qualify for the ROY award is a minor-leaguer and people can leave players in those slots as long as they want, so long as they don't use them. So if they want to draft Kershaw this year, they could stash him for 2 years, even if he starts playing, while he becomes worth a normal pick. I would also throw on the restriction that minor leaguers have to be drafted, not claimed via waivers.

very good ideas here. I like the fact that a player can remain a prospect until you use him. ;-D
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JoshJungalo » Sun May 25, 2008 5:19 pm

are there any websites prebuilt for a farm system?
JoshJungalo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun May 25, 2008 7:54 pm

We use CBS and it works just fine for our minor league system.

We have 25 man rosters with a 5 man minor league system. Any player still eligible under rookie rules is a minor leaguer. We allow free movement up and down as long as they are eligible. Any ineligible player on a minor league roster can be claimed (stolen). For the draft we get 5 minor league picks and you can use each one to protect a player currently on your minor league roster (so if you protect 4 you only have one pick to use in the draft.)

Unlike some leagues we do allow minor leaguers to hold a major league roster spot, so you can have more then five minor leaguers if you want to give up roster depth.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pjalst » Mon May 26, 2008 9:20 pm

JoshJungalo wrote:are there any websites prebuilt for a farm system?

We have a separate proboards site http://www.proboards.com that we use to keep track of our farm system and keepers during the off-season, this allows us to do trades all year round. We use yahoo to run our league.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby colby2152 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Hey Everyone,

I am new here, but certainly not new to fantasy baseball. I am converting my 7-year redraft H2H league to a dynasty league. The dynasty is split into two leagues: major and minor leagues. I have been running my leagues on Yahoo for years and would like to continue to do so unless there is a better option out there. My main problem with running two leagues on one player pool is free agency.

I really want to limit the amount of time I have to manage the system. Most people are competent enough to follow the rules and make sure others do. Nevertheless, if I have a completely free agent system, then the problem arises when two separate teams make claims for the same player in different leagues on the same day. Also, under Yahoo, teams would have to filter through the player pool for players that are not taken in the other league.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Colby
ProFSL.com
colby2152
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pjalst » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:06 pm

colby2152 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I am new here, but certainly not new to fantasy baseball. I am converting my 7-year redraft H2H league to a dynasty league. The dynasty is split into two leagues: major and minor leagues. I have been running my leagues on Yahoo for years and would like to continue to do so unless there is a better option out there. My main problem with running two leagues on one player pool is free agency.

I really want to limit the amount of time I have to manage the system. Most people are competent enough to follow the rules and make sure others do. Nevertheless, if I have a completely free agent system, then the problem arises when two separate teams make claims for the same player in different leagues on the same day. Also, under Yahoo, teams would have to filter through the player pool for players that are not taken in the other league.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Colby

you have me confused here, I don' understand what you mean by two leagues and one playerpool. Can you clarify that for me?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby colby2152 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

pjalst wrote:
you have me confused here, I don' understand what you mean by two leagues and one playerpool. Can you clarify that for me?

I suppose my attempt not to confused people by not baring too many details back fired. Here is the premise of the new design for my league...

There are two leagues of X teams a piece where each of X managers has one franchise that is split into two teams. Basically, each fantasy team has its own minor league squad. The players on teams in the major league cannot be on any team in the minor league and visa verse. The idea of this is to give the farm system capabilities all the while giving people two leagues to manage and try and win.
ProFSL.com
colby2152
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pjalst » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:45 pm

colby2152 wrote:
pjalst wrote:

I suppose my attempt not to confused people by not baring too many details back fired. Here is the premise of the new design for my league...

There are two leagues of X teams a piece where each of X managers has one franchise that is split into two teams. Basically, each fantasy team has its own minor league squad. The players on teams in the major league cannot be on any team in the minor league and visa verse. The idea of this is to give the farm system capabilities all the while giving people two leagues to manage and try and win.

ok, I think I got it. You have two leagues. Each owner has one team in each of the leagues. Both leagues share the same playerpool. Did I get it right?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner