"Farm System" or "Minor League's" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

"Farm System" or "Minor League's"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Farm System" or "Minor League's"

Postby Montana » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 pm

We're looking to implement something like this to our current Dynasty League, but I don't know where to start.

Wondering if any of you, play in such a league, and if so.......what kind of "rules" are in place for it, and how exactly does it work?
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "Farm System" or "Minor League's"

Postby Chadgo5 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:12 pm

This may or may not help you. We have a farm system... but it is essentially an extended 14 player bench. After we declare our 7 keepers and draft the remaining 16 starters, we hold our "farm team" draft of 14 players. This essentially gives us 37 man rosters. Because of this we only allow 3 free agent pickups for the entire season. This eliminates roster churning (which we hate) and encourages more trading. Which such huge rosters, it encourages owners to take chances on prospects in the farm team draft.

23 starters (2C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 5OF, 1DH, 5SP, 4RP)
14 farm team draft (any postion)
3 FA pcikups throughout the year (any position)

We draft starters and our farm team in one long day (about 7 hours... which us junkies love).
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby pjalst » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:24 pm

I would also like some input in this area. I am in a keeper league with a farm system, but our farm system is a constant issue of disscussion and argument. Some of the issues include, number of minor league keepers, rookie limits and foriegn players. I would like to know how other leagues run there farm system. Are there any Commissioners willing to share their rules governing their minors?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:34 pm

We just put in minor-league players this year so I'm not sure how well it's going to work, but here's the rules I came up with.

* Every team is given 3 minor-league spots.
* Any player who has accumulated enough service to not be eligible for the ROY is a major-leaguer.
* Any player who starts that season on a 25-man roster is a major-leaguer.
* Any player not a major-leaguer is a minor-leaguer.
* Minor-leaguers can only be purchased during the draft, not available through waiver wire.
* Minor-leaguers can be kept in the minor-league spot until an Opening Day that they qualify as a major-leaguer, defined above.
* If you use a minor-leaguer in your regular roster, you can't "depromote" them back to the minor-league spot. You just burned it.
* Anyone who starts as a minor-leaguer on Opening Day has a salary increase of $1 instead of the normal keeper rules.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pjalst » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:20 am

Matthias wrote:We just put in minor-league players this year so I'm not sure how well it's going to work, but here's the rules I came up with.

* Every team is given 3 minor-league spots.
* Any player who has accumulated enough service to not be eligible for the ROY is a major-leaguer.
* Any player who starts that season on a 25-man roster is a major-leaguer.
* Any player not a major-leaguer is a minor-leaguer.
* Minor-leaguers can only be purchased during the draft, not available through waiver wire.
* Minor-leaguers can be kept in the minor-league spot until an Opening Day that they qualify as a major-leaguer, defined above.
* If you use a minor-leaguer in your regular roster, you can't "depromote" them back to the minor-league spot. You just burned it.
* Anyone who starts as a minor-leaguer on Opening Day has a salary increase of $1 instead of the normal keeper rules.

thanks
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chairshot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 am

The easiest way to do it, in my opinion, is this way:

- 3-5 player minor league roster, depending on the size of your league.
- minor leaguers are players that qualify for ROY status and are not currently on an MLB roster.
- if a team calls up a minor leaguer in real life, the fantasy owner has 2 weeks to promote that minor leaguer or he must be cut to the FA pool (this helps for when a minor leaguer is called up to replace a major leaguer who goes on the 15 day DL).
- minor leaguers may be add/dropped the same way as major leaguers. If your league uses FAAB, then a separate minor league budget gets assigned.
- regardless of what the FAAB bid price was, if a minor leaguer is promoted, their cap figure for the current season is $1. Their future price would follow standard league rules.
- minor leaguers may be bid on at auction time but they must stay on the fantasy teams major league roster for 2 weeks before they can be demoted to the minor leagues.

I like these rules because you get a real nice reward for cultivating a minor league system ($1 players) but also have to work to get it. I like the 2 week rule because it gives an owner time to decide if he wants to stick with a player long term, but it doesn't give them half a season of play to evaluate the player like it would if the owner was able to wait until the player lost his rookie status. The separate minor league FAAB is something I like, but not everyone does. It definitely doesn't have to be used, if a league doesn't want to.

It's a good balance, I think. You're mileage may vary.
chairshot
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pjalst » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks to those that responded.

Our league is a 12 team 5x5 roto. 8 major league keepers and 7 Minor league keepers. no contracts.
Last edited by pjalst on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BrettCB » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 am

chairshot wrote:The easiest way to do it, in my opinion, is this way:

- 3-5 player minor league roster, depending on the size of your league.
- minor leaguers are players that qualify for ROY status and are not currently on an MLB roster.
- if a team calls up a minor leaguer in real life, the fantasy owner has 2 weeks to promote that minor leaguer or he must be cut to the FA pool (this helps for when a minor leaguer is called up to replace a major leaguer who goes on the 15 day DL).
- minor leaguers may be add/dropped the same way as major leaguers. If your league uses FAAB, then a separate minor league budget gets assigned.
- regardless of what the FAAB bid price was, if a minor leaguer is promoted, their cap figure for the current season is $1. Their future price would follow standard league rules.
- minor leaguers may be bid on at auction time but they must stay on the fantasy teams major league roster for 2 weeks before they can be demoted to the minor leagues.

I like these rules because you get a real nice reward for cultivating a minor league system ($1 players) but also have to work to get it. I like the 2 week rule because it gives an owner time to decide if he wants to stick with a player long term, but it doesn't give them half a season of play to evaluate the player like it would if the owner was able to wait until the player lost his rookie status. The separate minor league FAAB is something I like, but not everyone does. It definitely doesn't have to be used, if a league doesn't want to.

It's a good balance, I think. You're mileage may vary.

These guidelines sound pretty solid to me. We are trying to finalize a rule-set for our Farm System and I suggested the above rules. However, we are curious how the system would work if a player is called up to the Major League club for less than two weeks. Are you able to send that player back down to your farm system? Or, say a player is in the Majors for a month or two but doesn't meet the requirements to be a MLB Rookie then gets sent back down. Can you send him back down to your farm system and create a vacant space on your MLB roster?

Any feedback or other insight is appreciated.
BrettCB
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pjalst » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 am

We are more interested in a system were we can develope our drafted minor leaguers. Once a minor leaguer goes over the ROY maximun stats, in most leagues he is considered a Major leaguer and can only be kept if you make him one of your keepers(for our league it's 8 keepers). Most prospects are not going to be kept unless they are a Ryan Bruan orPrince Fielder type player. Most prospects don't make an impact until their 2-3rd year. I'm trying to find a system that allows the league to develope these players and give the owners rights to them. This would give the Owners a reward for doing their homework and making a good draft selection and it would also make the draft more important.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Do you use a snake draft or auction?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner