Spot Steals - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spot Steals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spot Steals

Postby GoCubsGo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:23 pm

I have been a longtime Cafe Reader but seldom post anything. In fact I had actually created a new username to post this because I forgot what my old username/email address was.

Let me explain my situation. I am in a 10 team Keep 24 6x6 Rotisserree keeper league with the following categoriesAVG, R, HR, RBI, OPS, SB and ERA, WHIP, W, SV, QS, K. Because we have OPS players with lots of SBs drag down your OPS quite significantly.

The magic number to win stolen bases last year is considerably higher than the average yahoo public league with the magic numbers.

Magic #s 10 pts =160 9 pts = 150 8 pts = 137 7 pts = 130.

Currently I am projecting a generous 115 steals for my team but would like to squeeze more production out of my team and earn 1-2 more roto points.

I was thinking about picking up average/fast base stealer in the NL West and only play them against the following pitchers on SD pitchers Peavy, Maddux and Young all of these guys allowed a ton of stolen bases last year.

Has anybody tried this?
GoCubsGo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Spot Steals

Postby Rotundor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 pm

the AL east has the lowest percentage throwing out runners. Posada, Varitek and Zaun all made the top 6 league-wide in this category.

Try one of the speedsters on Tampa. (I assume all the big names have already been picked up by now)
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jamastaballa » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:37 pm

So, are we thinking that Carl Crawford and BJ Upton might be overrated because they play in such a stolen-base friendly division? Or, rather, that if they played in a different division their SB totals might be less?
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

R. Martin, G. Atkins, J. Rollins, A. Hill, D. Wright, A. Gordon,
E. Renteria, Crawford, M. Ramirez, P. Burrell, N. Markakis, C. Hart

Lincecum, J. Cueto, H. Street, G. Sherrill, M. Capps, AJ Burnett, Putz, B. Myers, Harden, Bedard,
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Rotundor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:25 pm

jamastaballa wrote:So, are we thinking that Carl Crawford and BJ Upton might be overrated because they play in such a stolen-base friendly division? Or, rather, that if they played in a different division their SB totals might be less?

The latter. I'd be slightly concerned if either of them moved to another division.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby horatio » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:31 pm

Sounds like the guy you are looking for is Rajai Davis - of course, picking up a non proven hitter for the purpose of batting him against Peavy and Young strikes me as a bit counterintuitive but to each his own I suppose.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GoCubsGo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice It probably easier to to pick a player in the AL East division versus trying to break down the matchups. I'd like to pick up 15 spot steals in about 30-40 games started waiverwire speedsters. I'd be happy with about 50% conversion. Would it make more sense to spot start speedy guys vs pitchers with slow delivery or speedy guys vs poor defensive catchers

A good example of a spot start I would consider:

Willy Taveras vs Gred Maddux with Micheal Barrett behind the plate. Not sure of career batting average against but he swiped a couple of him last year.

or Are there some speedy guys that guys are forgetting about?
GoCubsGo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Jason Bartlett is with the Rays now. He'll probably be batting 9th, but could get 30 SB's.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mayor Daley » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:05 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:Jason Bartlett is with the Rays now. He'll probably be batting 9th, but could get 30 SB's.

Good call.
Mayor Daley
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers