I got a good laugh out of SI "expert" rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I got a good laugh out of SI "expert" rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I got a good laugh out of SI "expert" rankings

Postby Millhouse » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:09 am

Well done, SI! ;-D It's one thing to try to be contrarian and take an opposing view just for publicity's sake or to be "different" from all the other, cough, experts, but this is just insane....Utley #19, Rollins #2, Phillips #5, Cabrera #13, Ortiz #7....all over the map.

http://fannation.com/fantasy/column/6941

1. Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees
2. Jimmy Rollins, SS, Phillies
3. Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins
4. Johan Santana, SP, Mets
5. Brandon Phillips, 2B, Reds
6. David Wright, 3B, Mets
7. David Ortiz, 1B/DH, Red Sox
8. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals
9. Jose Reyes, SS, Mets
10. Prince Fielder, 1B, Brewers
11. Matt Holliday, OF, Rockies
12. Alfonso Soriano, OF, Cubs
13. Miguel Cabrera, 3B, Tigers
14. Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies
15. Jake Peavy, SP, Padres
16. Carlos Beltran, OF, Mets
17. Manny Ramirez, OF, Red Sox
18. Maglio Ordonez, OF, Tigers
19. Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies
20. Curtis Granderson, OF, Tigers
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I got a good laugh out of SI "expert" rankings

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:10 am

That's pretty awful.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:15 am

A few notes...

If they're projecting Jimmy Rollins for another .295/30/90/130/40 type season, then #2 isn't a stretch. Ditto on Phillips repeating his year, or even surpassing that, which some people (not me) are projecting.

Cabrera very well could end up below every player listed above him. I think too often we get zoned in on our own projections, or the projections we have grown accustomed to, and are too quick to dismiss the contrary as nonsensical. I personally love M-Cab this season, but a case can be made for every player above him.

Papi at 7, the #1 1B is a bold call, but to be honest, I could see him being not much lower than that, maybe the #2 1B after Ryan Howard, and ahead of Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols.

It's not like a lot of the sheets I've made and seen, but I don't think it's all that bad, either. Utley at 19 is the most glaring issue I have with it. Cases can be made for the rest.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Mugrila » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:48 am

Mediocre list at best, but rankings are all subjective. I'm not really a fan of rankings just like this with no reasoning or projections next to the players, which is why I pretty much go off my own rankings/dollar values. Like Hort said, they must be projecting Rollins and Phillips to equal last years production, which I see as a bit of a stretch. As much crap as Funston takes for his big board, I think more publishers could take a note from the format he uses; the players in one column with some notes on the reasons behind the rankings.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Millhouse » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:53 am

bigh0rt wrote:A few notes...

If they're projecting Jimmy Rollins for another .295/30/90/130/40 type season, then #2 isn't a stretch. Ditto on Phillips repeating his year, or even surpassing that, which some people (not me) are projecting.

Cabrera very well could end up below every player listed above him. I think too often we get zoned in on our own projections, or the projections we have grown accustomed to, and are too quick to dismiss the contrary as nonsensical. I personally love M-Cab this season, but a case can be made for every player above him.

Papi at 7, the #1 1B is a bold call, but to be honest, I could see him being not much lower than that, maybe the #2 1B after Ryan Howard, and ahead of Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols.

It's not like a lot of the sheets I've made and seen, but I don't think it's all that bad, either. Utley at 19 is the most glaring issue I have with it. Cases can be made for the rest.

true. to your point...last year Cabrera and Ortiz had similar numbers with Ortiz being slightly better on the averages and OPS. Just don't draft 'em for speed!

HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
MIGGY 34 119 2 1 79 127 .320 .401 .565 150
PAPI 35 117 3 1 111 103 .332 .445 .621 171
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Rhydderch » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:39 pm

This list is worse the further you go down. Corey Hart at 218 is probably the craziest thing. BJ Upton at 64? Salty at 113? Linceum at 217?

SI always has weird lists.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Russell James » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:00 pm

I don't think the rankings are horrible. I think Utley is a bit overrated, but that is only because I see people spending top 5 picks on him. I would put him more towards the back end of the 1st round. I think Phillips found himself in Cincy so he will put up similar numbers.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Russell James wrote:I don't think the rankings are horrible. I think Utley is a bit overrated, but that is only because I see people spending top 5 picks on him. I would put him more towards the back end of the 1st round. I think Phillips found himself in Cincy so he will put up similar numbers.

Phillips doesn't have the potential to bat .320-.330 like Utley always does though.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:17 pm

These rankings probably aren't great but they're still at least somewhat decent. If you're looking for downright awful check out the FoxSports top 50 ;-)
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:48 pm

mainstream places like si, fox, cbs etc... never seem to be in the know for fantasy sports imo.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers