Just finished Draft, How'd I do? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just finished Draft, How'd I do? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just finished Draft, How'd I do? WHIR

Postby saemick » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 am

Just drafted tonight, how did I do? What are my strong / weak areas?

Below is my current roster:

c: Martin
1b: Adrian Gonzales
2b: Brian Roberts
ss: Furcal
3b: Atkins
OF: Holliday, Crawford, Ellsbury
Utl: Justin Upton
BN: Yunel Escobar, Bourn, Loney, Hamilton
SP: Lackey, C. Young, Liriano, Buchholz, Bailey
RP: Hoffman, Soriano, B.J. Ryan
* 12-team H2H: RR, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, PO, A, E, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, BB, K, NH, PG, BSV

There are a few decent players not drafted (Billy Butler Sherrill, Greinke, Percival)

Thinking Ryan might be better than say Percival, etc...

I initially posted in Draft, Trade Forum, but thought this would be a better one.
Could use some help, WHIR

thanks
Last edited by saemick on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Just finished Draft, How'd I do? WHIR

Postby cordscords » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:18 am

I'm not liking the team all that much. Look like a power outage on offense. Holliday and Gonzo will be the only ones to top 30+ homers IMO. I only see 170-180 homers out of that team. 1 or 2 more big bats would come a long way.

The rotation is also a bit iffy. I like Lackey and Young, but Liriano is a huge risk. He could pay off big time however. Buchholz and Bailey are too unproven for my tastes.

You have good closers on paper, but Hoffman is old and finished poor last season. Ryan also missed most of last year. High upsides but more risk.

I'd probably drop Bourn and Escobar for Percy and Sherill. You already have a ton of speed (Roberts, Furcal, Crawford, Ellsbury, etc.) so you can dump Bourn, and while I like Escobar he has less upside then Loney and Hamilton.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bracesj » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:17 am

I honestly think you should pick up Percival for BJ RYan. Ryan has come off Tommy John surgery last May and it usually takes at least a year for a pitcher to fully recover from it. Plus, a healthy Jeremy Accardo is most likely going to be taking his place in the relief lineup, so Ryan may not see consistent action until late May, or June.

I like how you're going with youth with Liriano and Buchholz. It may be a gamble, but there are huge payoffs potentially with those two. I am never one to argue with drafting young prospects. I mean, lok at my team, over half of them are either rookies or sophomores. Overall, your team is solid, with only a few hitches in the pitching staff.
bracesj
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby phishgrooving » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am

I agree with the people above about Ryan. he is a huge risk right now and I think you would be better off dropping him for either Purcavel or Sherrill.

I do like that you drafted young. I did the same as you. I think Liriano is going to have a huge year, just wish I could have gotten him lol.
phishgrooving
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Hogger1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:53 am

I for one would NOT drop Ryan for Sherril or Percival. Neither one of those guys is guarateed to close for any amount of time, but Ryan (who it seems is ahead of schedule) will be the closer all season if healthy. I might be more tempted to drop Bourn and pick up one of those closers in addition to who you have since Hoffman scares me this season (and there are NO closers available in my 12 team league!). Another option, since Bourn has value, is to try and trade either him or Ellsbury (you don't need both) for someone with a little more pop (or another closer). You'll likely end up playing Hamilton ahead of either of those guys anyway.
Starting pitching is a little scary. But it could be very good depending on Liriano and Buchholz. I for one like them both this season. Don't like Bailey though. Not in THAt park, with THAT manager. I'd keep him on a short leash and watch the waiver wire.
The team needs some work, but has potential for sure.

mine: viewtopic.php?t=326966
Hogger1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Nitrayn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:50 pm

I definetly like Butler, I'd grab him over Loney or even Elsbury

Your SP has alot of Iffs, that could work way in your favor or destroy you. Im thinking it was a risk you wanted to take

thx for the help
Nitrayn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Luckskywalker7 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 pm

Sp is risky with your young pitchers and ryan and your offense has very little power. Get MOAR power!
Luckskywalker7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I would start Hamilton over Ellsbury, you already have a ton of speed and could use the power.

The sp's are pretty risky, depending a lot on Liriano to perform.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bracesj » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Put in James Loney! The dude will be batting at least a .300 avg with 100+! That'll be a whole lot better than Gonzalez. Even though Gonzalez may have a better ability to smash home runs, Loney won't be far behind him that stat category either. James Loney is elite when it comes to 1B this season.
bracesj
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gismes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:50 pm

I would watch out for BJ, his time will be seriously limited, but I always say you can't have too many closers. Same with Hoffman. Clay and Homer are excellent but untested and you can always play matchups if either don't workout. Sherrill is a fantastic lefty but won't be very valuable in your format. I like your offense a ton, I like that you have an excellent bench incase someone doesn't pan out, and if everyone does... tradebait.
gismes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team