Tier Drafting or Overall Drafting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tier Drafting or Overall Drafting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tier Drafting or Overall Drafting?

Postby daniel80111 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Do you guys agree that 2B, 3B, SS, and C have players with elevated draft rankings due to the scarcity of talent in those positions?? I think it's essential to get a top 3 SS or top 4 3B this year. Because after that the drop off is pretty large. OF for some reason seems to have so many players that can really break through this year.
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:31 pm

daniel80111 wrote:Do you guys agree that 2B, 3B, SS, and C have players with elevated draft rankings due to the scarcity of talent in those positions?? I think it's essential to get a top 3 SS or top 4 3B this year. Because after that the drop off is pretty large. OF for some reason seems to have so many players that can really break through this year.

No.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:31 pm

daniel80111 wrote:Do you guys agree that 2B, 3B, SS, and C have players with elevated draft rankings due to the scarcity of talent in those positions?? I think it's essential to get a top 3 SS or top 4 3B this year. Because after that the drop off is pretty large. OF for some reason seems to have so many players that can really break through this year.

I usually don't touch catchers until the last round, or thereabouts.

I also don't feel it's essential to get a top 2B, SS or 3B. There is plenty of depth if you look hard enough. I'll take Teixiera over any 2B outside of Utley...I don't really care if he's a 1B. I project that he'll give me more production, so that's what I'll draft on. Of course I take scarcity into consideration, but I won't reach for a player simply because he plays 2B or SS. I'd be fine with drafting a dominant outfield and CI and settle for Kelly Johnson and O-Cab up the middle if it's necessary. Obviously I'd prefer to have better players at MI, but I'm not going to reach for Phillips in the 2nd round or Rollins in the top 5 just because they play MI.

I actually think that OF is more shallow this year than it usually is.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Bogey9906 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Last year I used an overall Top 300 ranking with a tier list as backup. This year I'm going to use just the positional tier list (similar to the MDC cheatsheet).

The whole point of tiers is to approximate an overall list segmented by position, so just list players in order of value within a tier and you've got both in one. I just won't have a specific rank next to each player, but I don't have confidence that my #51 is better than my #52, or better than my #59 for that matter. Keep it simple...
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm

I have a cheat sheet that is broken down by position and round value and then a column for my projected dollar value. So when I'm looking at my sheet it is split into tiers, then in yahoo I sort players by the combined rankings. I find it very easy to find the best available player while still seeing which positions have the biggest drops in value etc. I also have a notation by guys who I projected for more value than their ADP suggests so I can let them drop a round or two if it seems appropriate.

By my system I don't consider a player a big value unless they earn at least 1 point more than other guys(these aren't traditional auction type dollars) so I don't get tied down into value completely. In the later rounds 1 point of value could be what seperates the end of the 12th round from the end of the 14th round. Earlier rounds 1 point might only seperate 2 or 3 players. This sort of forces me into value drafting earlier and more needs based later which is how I like to draft in general. (though it is also how I ended up with a Felipe Lopez/Jeff Keppinger platoon as my SS in my money league, the value was just never there and people took a ton of extra SS, doh!)
Last edited by Ender on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Russell James wrote:I guess I am more of a tier drafter, but I go both ways.

This is a baseball forum, you should keep your conversations as such... :-b
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

I usually don't touch catchers until the last round, or thereabouts.

I also don't feel it's essential to get a top 2B, SS or 3B. There is plenty of depth if you look hard enough. I'll take Teixiera over any 2B outside of Utley...I don't really care if he's a 1B. I project that he'll give me more production, so that's what I'll draft on. Of course I take scarcity into consideration, but I won't reach for a player simply because he plays 2B or SS. I'd be fine with drafting a dominant outfield and CI and settle for Kelly Johnson and O-Cab up the middle if it's necessary. Obviously I'd prefer to have better players at MI, but I'm not going to reach for Phillips in the 2nd round or Rollins in the top 5 just because they play MI.

I actually think that OF is more shallow this year than it usually is.

OF has been thinning out for a couple of years now, so if you just realized that your probably a step or two behind...

I agree mostly with what is said here. Its important to draft the best player available. Essentially the season is split into two halves for me. The first half you want to concentrate on gaining as much talent on your team as possible. The second half you should tweak your team to fix your needs. The draft is the best stepping stone for cementing a solid first half IMO...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Last year I divided up my MDP rankings into tiers similar to the way that Kelly at fantasygameday does it.

Tier A = Rounds 1-2
Tier B = Rounds 3-6
Tier C = Rounds 7-12
Tier D = Rounds 13-17
Tier E = Rounds 18-21
Tier F = Rounds 22+

I really liked the way my draft turned out and I am definitely using this method again this year ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Positional scarcity only exists in shallow leagues. If you are in a league with CI/MI/UT generally speaking C is the only scarce position. In a vanilla 12 team yahoo league it does have meaning. In a 4 team league it would be incredibly important.

Really all depends on your league settings.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Ender wrote:Positional scarcity only exists in shallow leagues. If you are in a league with CI/MI/UT generally speaking C is the only scarce position. In a vanilla 12 team yahoo league it does have meaning. In a 4 team league it would be incredibly important.

Really all depends on your league settings.

I word "huh" comes to mind here. Are you sure you didn't mean that position scarcity only exists in larger leagues?

The only way I can see what you mean is if you argue that position scarcity exists at all positions in larger leagues because there are enough teams to take alot of talent at any position (if I said that correctly)...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers