Draft strategy,, Valid or not - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft strategy,, Valid or not

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft strategy,, Valid or not

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:15 pm

I was in a live draft the other night and for some reason I did not get any of the STUD starters so what I did was target guys like Wang and Dk for the wins, and then loaded up on guys like Bettencourt and Sheilds and the like to offset the high era and whip, I thought they could be left in every day and play the sp as needed. So, is this a valid strategy or not? my offence is really good but nothing there to give up for sp help
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft strategy,, Valid or not

Postby Millhouse » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Yanks Ruined It wrote:I was in a live draft the other night and for some reason I did not get any of the STUD starters so what I did was target guys like Wang and Dk for the wins, and then loaded up on guys like Bettencourt and Sheilds and the like to offset the high era and whip, I thought they could be left in every day and play the sp as needed. So, is this a valid strategy or not? my offence is really good but nothing there to give up for sp help

unless i'm mistaken, if your league has innings minimums for P's, that "middle relievers with kickass WHIP and ERA" strategy only goes so far.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:11 pm

I've done this before, and it actually worked. I dont try to do it, but when stuff hits the fan, you gotta do what ya gotta do.
The way I see it, you grab two set-up men with low ratios and K/In., and they each pitch 80-100 innings, then you got yourself a nice SP there. Obviously the problem with this is that relievers can be streaky by year, but I remember i had shields and otsuka two years ago, and dominated using them as a '5th SP'.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Nihil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:42 pm

I think the strategy can work. Dependent upon whether you have a maximum number of moves per season, you can find situational pitchers that can get you the wins as well.

As Dashiz23 stated, not how you would prefer to go about things, but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay competitive.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Russell James » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Depends on the league.

In roto leagues I can see it working as long as you meet the inning requirements.

In H2H competition it would be great some weeks and absolutely horrible the next. If a reliever came in and gave up 3 runs you have a sweet 27.00 ERA with a nightmare WHIP. That is easy to get down if you can get a few good starts from your starters.

I will use the reliever heavy strategy when I am countering streamers in a particular league. I also only use this strategy on particular weeks when I am matched up against them and not as a full season strategy.

It could work though. Make sure to tell us if you are successful.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Sorry, I should have stated this is a standard 5x5 roto Yahoo, I read another post where the mgr got caught in the pitcher run, this is what happened with this draft and I just went for the best player and didnt get caught up in the run :~( maybe I should have followed
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

Postby krunchyfrogg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Shields might surprise you. The Rays should be better this year.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:55 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:Shields might surprise you. The Rays should be better this year.

Sorry again, sheilds fron the angels. I also think Tampa will improve this year
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bellings » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:45 pm

Yanks Ruined It wrote:Sorry, I should have stated this is a standard 5x5 roto Yahoo, I read another post where the mgr got caught in the pitcher run, this is what happened with this draft and I just went for the best player and didnt get caught up in the run :~( maybe I should have followed

I think that you're in trouble with 5x5 roto. I've tried this a couple times and I always got smoked in K's. Be prepared to put up a 1 in K's unless you make some moves or get lucky with the WW.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckbillgates » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Lack of top-tier pitchers in roto can be offset with good management. What you want to do is fill most of your bench spots with high-upside, middle-tier pitchers. Play matchups with them and manage your innings pitched carefully, and you should be fine.

Sometimes, quantity can overcome quality in pitching.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers