Baldelli already on the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli already on the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baldelli already on the DL

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:48 pm

hybrid wrote:I remember when the OF was a strength for the Rays, those were the days. "You have Crawford, Delmon, BJ, Rocco, Dukes, and Gomes/Gathright .... the Rays will be fine, they need to trade some to make room for guys like BJ/Delmon ...". Ahh yes, those indeed were the days. Is it possible to veto the Rays to get back Delmon, like you know ... Freidman saying he had his fingers crossed the whole time?

I still like that deal and I don't want him back
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:55 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I still like that deal and I don't want him back

Sometimes I wonder if you are related to Friedman :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm

hybrid wrote:

I know I am in a minority of Rays fans, but I liked the deal

we are related, I am him 8-o :-b
Last edited by deerayfan072 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)

Re: Baldelli already on the DL haha

Postby J35J » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Why did I draft this guy? What was I thinking?

Yeah I'm in the same boat. In my defense it's a 15 team mixed league that uses 5 OF + UT. However, I should have known better. :-[

I'm in the same boat as Amazinz...except a 14 teamer not a 15. I figured I got him late enough and as my 4th OFer that he would be decent value....I mean he's got to be healthy one of these years right? ....not so much! :,-(
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
hybrid wrote:

I know I am in a minority of Rays fans, but I liked the deal

I don't know if I count, but TB is my 2nd team and I absolutely loved that deal (in fact I partially predicted it in July). So that makes two of us.

This sucks for Baldelli and TB, because I have a feeling they were waiting for a fit "show us what you can do" season so they could trade him for big profits.

On the positive side this creates more ABs for Gomes in my 20 teamer so he can show off that crazy crazy power of his.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 am

so it's safe to drop him now? no chance of coming back and being fantasy relevant? :-o :,-( :~(
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Baldelli already on the DL haha

Postby My team is injured » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 am

deerayfan072 wrote:I think one of the biggest problems he is facing now is not knowing what is wrong. If you destroyed your knee at least you know, they can describe it, but they do not know the cause and the guy has been through more tests than anyone you know

well, I think I can probably go toe to toe with him on having tests done and my sister dwarfs me... this unfortunately is reality for many people who develop chronic health issues and even after obtaining a diagnosis, the testing frequently continues, whether it's for concomitant issues, tracking of treatment of the disease, or with the initial diagnosis either being incorrect or simply a piece of the puzzle...

as just one example, here's a blurb from http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/celiac/

"The prevalence of celiac disease in the United States has been estimated to be as high as one in 133 individuals. At the same time, only one in 4,700 individuals have been diagnosed with celiac disease. The average delay in diagnosis for a person with symptoms is 11 years. On average, a child will visit eight pediatricians before being diagnosed with celiac disease."

Half Massed wrote:I'm afraid I don't know much about this illness. Does he have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and if so how does one get it? Regardless, it's a sad thing, and I wish him all the best.

chronic fatigue is similar to say IBS in that it is moreso a description of a set of symptoms than a diagnosis in itself... not to trivialize what a person with CFS is going through by any means, but it's basically a clinical evaluation of a patient's symptoms and does not explain the root cause(s) of the symptoms...

hopefully he's able to pinpoint what's causing/contributing to the symptoms and address these underlying cause(s)... Bobby Engram was in somewhat of a similar situation in that he missed a number of games a few years ago due to fatigue that resolved after having a thyroid condition diagnosed and treated and he went on to have the best season of his career this past year... with all that being said, I'd be surprised if Baldelli's situation resolves as easily from the little I just read about it, and thyroid testing is one of the first tests typically run when metabolic issues are being looked into...
My team is injured
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Giambis » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:37 am

I heard about this and feel horrible for Rocco. He seems like a guy who loves to play and I wish him the best.

Not to be totally insensitive, but this IS a fantasy cafe, and I was wondering what people thought about his replacements. I'm assuming that Floyd and Gomes will be the beneficiaries of Baldelli's absence. Does Gomes become a good late power option now?
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:25 pm

congratulations on the comback, rocco! :-]
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 pm

1 for 4. Anyone know why he was taken out of the game?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers