Behind in the Count #3 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Behind in the Count #3

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Behind in the Count #3

Postby WebHamster » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 am

This thread contains comments on Toby Mergler's Article "Behind in the Count #3", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on March 12, 2008. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 554)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Behind in the Count #3

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

I dont mean to be rude but I dont think these are good pieces. The author seems to be almost purposely foolish. Making comments like "I haven't made a good pick yet" seems as though the lack of knowledge is premeditated. If you actively know that you are not making good picks then maybe you aren't as much of a rookie as you try to make yourself out to be. All and all i'm sure people enjoy these, but I would rather write article are what to do instead of making up scenarios about what not to do...

my .02
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby heyrook_nicepiece » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am

[quote="jake_harv88"]I dont mean to be rude but I dont think these are good pieces. The author seems to be almost purposely foolish. Making comments like "I haven't made a good pick yet" seems as though the lack of knowledge is premeditated. If you actively know that you are not making good picks then maybe you aren't as much of a rookie as you try to make yourself out to be. All and all i'm sure people enjoy these, but I would rather write article are what to do instead of making up scenarios about what not to do...

Jake, thank you very much for your feedback and I respect your perspective. I wish to assure you I'm not intending to act purposely foolish. Comments such as those are meant to portray my total lack of confidence more so than any premeditation. Given your 1100+ posts, I'm guessing you are a long time and avid fantasy baseball player. As such, it is possible you no longer remember what it was like to play the game and not have faith in your decisions. I admit, I'm not so ignorent to the game as to not know anything. I've played enough fantasy football that I can look at statistics and get a general gist of a players possible performance. I'm not the secretary who fills out her NCAA tourney brackets based on a teams uniforms. And even if I was completely and utterly clueless about baseball, I'd be more likely to have blind faith in my picks or to portray extreme confidence like the guy who takes a player 4 rounds too early then starts screaming at the league what a genius he is. On the other hand, I don't know enough to feel good about what I am doing, as I lack both extensive knowledge about the players and experience playing fantasy baseball. Basically, I know enough to know I don't know enough. Not exactly a confidence-inspiring place to be, especially when you are acting under the pressure and strict time constraints of a draft. This article portrayed how I felt during the draft (I was also taking notes so I could write this piece) and thus, comments such as that one were bound to come out.

Again, I respect your perspective and I hope you will keep reading. But if want articles about what to do, you will be better off reading a different series, as I've made it clear I won't be giving advice meant to be followed. There are a ton of articles out there that will provide you great advice. I've just taken an alternative angle towards the game, one that caters to perhaps a different audience.

Thanks for responding, it does give me something to think about.
- Toby
heyrook_nicepiece
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer

Postby Nihil » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:39 am

I actually enjoyed the article. Probably because I have been there and still have the scars to prove it. With our league you can go back and see who you've drafted every year since its inception. I did a walk down memory lane not too long ago and could only cringe and say "What the hell was I thinking when I picked THIS bozo?". That's hindsight for ya.

Because of those early years (not that long ago really), I now spend an inordinate amount of time (or so my wife likes to tell me) preparing for the draft. The pendulum was swung to the other extreme.

So, what I'm saying is "I hear ya". I know where your coming from with the article and I think it's a nice piece. A little over the top, but it's meant to be humorous. Most articles on the site are of different nature so, perhaps, your style will take a little getting used to for some.

Personally, I'm looking forward to reading your further adventures. I'm interested to see how you take what you've learned from this draft into the next one. I'm not sure how the draft from a completely hitter-oriented league can help in a normal league's draft, but I guess you'll find out soon enough.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 pm

As usual, a good read. Usually, your very first draft can be tough especially if you have unexplained homer-ism on certain guys and it wasn't that bad of a draft if you consider you didn't have pitching in your scoring system. That could've skewed things for you. Hanley & Upton really weren't terrible picks, but I like the over-the-top comedic spin on things. Articles (and people in fact) here can be too serious.

I think you'll do a better job with pitching taken into account in your next draft. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:13 pm

I chuckled most of the way through the article. :-D Not at the writer of course, simply at the situation(s). Happens to people every year, so there are quite a few readers that can relate I'm sure. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby glcmustliveon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Yeah, it seemed like you were on pick too late on most of the guys you mentioned. You would've had some squad if those guys fell to you! Remember, the draft is over, but all is not lost, i guarantee plenty of value will be on the waiver wire throughout the season. Add in trades you can make, you're not dead yet ;-D

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Peter Gammon's Jr. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 pm

hahahaha that was a great read...thanks for making my day! ;-D
Peter Gammon's Jr.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:32 pm

HeyRook, I did not mean that as a personal attack. It was certainly a good piece and I thank you for contributing to the glory that is the cafe. My only complaint is that some of the situations seemed pre-meditated. Since you have assured me that, that is not true I will of course continue to read. My apologies, I did not mean to question your validity...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby surfly » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 pm

"I got my butt kicked by a bunch of cripples."

This is supposed to be funny? Try explaining that to someone who has sat in a wheelchair for a few decades, or lost an arm or leg serving in the military. Figure it out.
surfly Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Article Discussions