Barry Bonds NA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds NA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Barry Bonds NA

Postby Guttenburg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:57 am

Show of hands how many of you are stashing this guy on your bench until he signs? Is he gonna sign at all? Of course it's been said a million times, but if he actually latches on with an AL team the reward could be through the roof.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Barry Bonds NA

Postby BrooklynBums » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:46 am

There were Tampa Bay rumors a while back (St Louis too, but management said no to La Russa), but its been pretty quiet since.
If I were you, I would hope my league counted stats of American players in Japan ;-D , they love him over there, and he just might be crazy enough to do it.
BrooklynBums
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 am

not i.

one, he wasnt all that great last season, certainly not good enough to waste a roster spot.

two, i doubt he signs anywhere, and if he does, it'll be late in the season.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttenburg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 am

I guess I should point out that my league is a deeep .OBP league. Automatically bumping his value up quite a bit.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 am

I was just going to say that the only league I would draft him in is an OBP league...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:01 am

Snakes Gould wrote:not i.

one, he wasnt all that great last season, certainly not good enough to waste a roster spot.

two, i doubt he signs anywhere, and if he does, it'll be late in the season.

Depends on size of the league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Cow » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 am

If Bonds is willing to play LF the Tribe would be a good fit. Tribe is probably being cheap here or they think the Dellucci/Michaels platoon is better than Bonds baggage.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:14 am

How is 75/28/66 with a .276 BA and 1.046 OPS in only 340 ABs not great? Assuming he becomes a DH or starting OF somewhere getting 500+ ABs, it's hard to argue that he wouldn't be a fantastic pickup if he signs. If the league is very deep, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him as a last round pick.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:

How is 75/28/66 with a .276 BA and 1.046 OPS in only 340 ABs not great? Assuming he becomes a DH or starting OF somewhere getting 500+ ABs, it's hard to argue that he wouldn't be a fantastic pickup if he signs. If the league is very deep, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him as a last round pick.

The catch is probably that even if a team desperately wants to give him 500+ ABs, it still likely won't happen. His age and injury history are starting to dictate that if you get 350 ABs from him, that's pretty fortunate. If the league was deep and you can afford to platoon him when he inevitably gets hurt, or if you use OBP, might be interesting. But I'd be shocked if he suddenly played a full season and put up great numbers.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm

I wouldn't necessarily make those assumptions. If someone brings Bonds in, I doubt they just platoon him in LF. If he does come back, it will probably be to an AL team in which they'll DH him every few games. Most teams have a full-time DH already, so this does limit his possible suitors. However, ABs will be a bit misleading due to the amount of BBs he'll likely see - he'll never get over 500 ABs because of this. Hell, he hasn't had 500 ABs in 10 years! That's why I think he would still be a huge asset to the poster's league, one that uses OBP. In a very deep league like his with those categories, I wouldn't have a problem with taking a flier on him to see how things shakeup as the season begins.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers