Making Keeper Contract Rules.....please Help. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Making Keeper Contract Rules.....please Help.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Making Keeper Contract Rules.....please Help.

Postby Montana » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm working on building a set of rules for my Dynasty League, and I was wondering if those that have played in them before, could help me out, by reading my basic set up.......and critiquing it, or pointing out some rules that need to be added.

Greatly Greatly appreciated.

Each team gets 7 "Contracts"........they'd consist of...

2 - Franchise Tags they can be applied to any player, and they're yours to keep for as long as they're "franchised"........it's a year to year contract.

2 - 3 Year Contracts - Player is yours for 3 seasons, but must become a free agent, at the end of his deal.

2 - 2 Year Contracts - Player is yours for 2 season's but must become a FA at the end of his deal.

1 - 1 Year Contract - Player is yours to keep for one remaining season, but must be made a FA at the end of the year.

Also, each "keeper contract" costs a team a draft pick.......we had 6 keepers this year, so in effect our first round of the Free Agent Draft was round 7.......so to "keep" a player, it'd cost you a draft pick one round higher than where they were drafted.

So next season it'd look something like this.......

Round 1 = Franchise Tag
Round 2 = Franchise Tag
Round 3 = 3 Year Contract
Round 4 = 3 Year Contract
Round 5 = 2 Year Contract
Round 6 = 2 Year Contract
Round 7 = 1 Year Contract

To start everyone would use at the very least 2 Franchise Tags, and the 3 Year and 2 Year Contracts (6 contracts in total)..........so the highest anyone could draft would be round 7.......so if you chose to use your 1 Year Keeper contract you select in round 8.......if you forfeit that contract, you could select one round ealier.

Example.......

Let's say to start next season, every single team, except 2, use all their keeper contracts............but two teams, (for the example we'll say Team D, and Team J).........so the draft would go like this.

Round 7.

1. Team D
2. Team J

(whoever finished lower, the previous season picks first)

Then Round 8 begins......

Round 8
1. Team A
2. Team B
3. Team C
4. Team D
5. Team E
6. Team F
7. Team G
8. Team H
9. Team I
10. Team J

Now.......here's the last detail..........Each contract "costs" you a draft pick the following seasons.

So let's say this coming offseason, Team H decides to use his 3 year contract on SP - Matt Cain, who he drafted in the 5th round of this year's draft. The contract would look like this.

Matt Cain - 3 Year Contract
2009 Season - Cost 4th Rounder
2010 Season - Cost 3rd Rounder
2011 Season - Cost 2nd Rounder

Becomes Free Agent at the beginning of the 2012 season.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Keeper Contract Rules.....please Help.

Postby Montana » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Some additionaly info on the league, in case it's applicable.

10 Team Standard 5x5 H2H, was a regular Keeper League last season, with each team keeping 6.

Snake Drafts, with the reverse of the season standings being the draft order.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby talan37 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:09 am

You state that you must use a round earlier for each pick. It works out perfectly based on last year because I assume everyones keepers were the first six picks of the draft by default?

A few problems I see:
1) You don't mention the cost of the franchise tag, does the player still "move up" one round in cost? I assume you can't apply the franchise contract to a player already in one of your contracts.

2) Is there any way to "dump a contract" If you took Matt Cain for 3 years, and he ends up needing tommy john the next year, is there any "escape clause"?

3) If you trade a keeper, what contract does he have? Ie. I have Carlos beltran for a 3 year contract starting this year, for rounds 4-3-2, If I trade him does he still "use" one of my keeper contracts? Does the new owner need to use a contract on him? Can the new owner even give him a new contract? You could have an issue where players will "swap around" contracts in the last few years. Ie. If I am in the last year of beltrans contract, I could trade him to another owner for close to value and give the new guy a 3 year contract? Or no?

4) You need to use a progressive round pick for the next year, so I assume you can't keep anyone drafted in the 1st round?(they auto go back into the pool?)

5) You don't specify, but I assume you can't keep two players who would "cost the same round". Ie. In 2006 I drafted Rich hill in the 8th round, and gave him a 2 year contract. And then traded for Matt Cain who was drafted in round 8 also. While this couldn't happen by your own means, it easily could with trades...

6) What is the starting year cost on WW pick ups?

7) I would be wary of the use of the franchise tag, since if someone gets lucky they could end up locking up a premier talent for basically no cost for the players entire career.(Someone who drafted braun in late rounds in 2007, or picked him from WW) While you don't want to penalize people who are good at picking rookies, often times its luck whether a prospect pans out, and if someone ends up perma-keeping 2 of the best players in the league for almost no cost it could lead to some league inconsistencies.

8) I would be a little worried about automatically giving people who don't use all their contracts "early picks". For one thing, it means they could likely easily obtain anyone they drop, it also will encourage people to not use contracts because of the guarantee of an extra top pick. Which considering that 1st rounders can't be kept, might not be a great idea. For example, I would probably rather have a few of the top 12 guys in the game, than 1-2 extra keepers.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Montana » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:57 am

talan37 wrote:You state that you must use a round earlier for each pick. It works out perfectly based on last year because I assume everyones keepers were the first six picks of the draft by default?

Since we're already into the 3rd year of a keeper league.......and each team just kept six......this past draft, since each player kept 6, we started in "Round 7" when drafting........thus any players given contracts, would constitute a round.

If you gave four picks to "keepers" from the old system........you'd start drafting in "Round 5"......keep 6 start drafting in "Round 7" etc........

talan37 wrote:A few problems I see:
1) You don't mention the cost of the franchise tag, does the player still "move up" one round in cost? I assume you can't apply the franchise contract to a player already in one of your contracts.

Franchise Tags will constitute a first round pick.........use both......it's a 1st and a second.

talan37 wrote:2) Is there any way to "dump a contract" If you took Matt Cain for 3 years, and he ends up needing tommy john the next year, is there any "escape clause"?

Haven't broached this yet.......I'm open to any/all idea's......but as of now, I was thinking you could either drop him, and use the roster spot, but still be on the hook for his "contract cost".....or...there could be a penalty, that people could "pay" to get out from under a contract....(maybe forfeit a pick one round higher, than the cost of said players current, "season cost")

talan37 wrote:3) If you trade a keeper, what contract does he have? Ie. I have Carlos beltran for a 3 year contract starting this year, for rounds 4-3-2, If I trade him does he still "use" one of my keeper contracts? Does the new owner need to use a contract on him? Can the new owner even give him a new contract? You could have an issue where players will "swap around" contracts in the last few years. Ie. If I am in the last year of beltrans contract, I could trade him to another owner for close to value and give the new guy a 3 year contract? Or no?

Also, something I haven't broached yet.........but I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.......

Off the top of my head.......Franchise Contracts could only be traded in deals involving a Franchise tag coming back.......maybe have a rule where each team MUST have the same number of contracts at all times?....but then we'd get into trouble when players trade a 3 year contract, for a player with a 1 year deal.........hmmmm..

Definitely need to come up with something to sort this out.

talan37 wrote:4) You need to use a progressive round pick for the next year, so I assume you can't keep anyone drafted in the 1st round?(they auto go back into the pool?)

We could do this......or it would just cost them the highest pick they have?

Again, open to any idea's or suggestions other have.

talan37 wrote:5) You don't specify, but I assume you can't keep two players who would "cost the same round". Ie. In 2006 I drafted Rich hill in the 8th round, and gave him a 2 year contract. And then traded for Matt Cain who was drafted in round 8 also. While this couldn't happen by your own means, it easily could with trades...

It would cost you the round higher..........So Hill would cost you a 7th the next year, and Cain would cost you a 6th, if you kept him.

talan37 wrote:6) What is the starting year cost on WW pick ups?

This is something we'd have to decide as well.......hadn't thought of it yet......but we'd have to come up with a standard "cost" for FA's or WW's for sure.......

talan37 wrote:7) I would be wary of the use of the franchise tag, since if someone gets lucky they could end up locking up a premier talent for basically no cost for the players entire career.(Someone who drafted braun in late rounds in 2007, or picked him from WW) While you don't want to penalize people who are good at picking rookies, often times its luck whether a prospect pans out, and if someone ends up perma-keeping 2 of the best players in the league for almost no cost it could lead to some league inconsistencies.

Right now, we have just a straight keeper league......adding one keeper per season, and each team had 6 this past season.......so a team could conceivably get a much bigger advantage under the system we currently have......which is why we are thinking of implimenting this type of system.

It would still allow teams to have a core, of they're favorite players.......and "Franchise" two guys they want to build around........it's not perfect, but it'd enable us to have more parity than we have now.

talan37 wrote:8) I would be a little worried about automatically giving people who don't use all their contracts "early picks". For one thing, it means they could likely easily obtain anyone they drop, it also will encourage people to not use contracts because of the guarantee of an extra top pick. Which considering that 1st rounders can't be kept, might not be a great idea. For example, I would probably rather have a few of the top 12 guys in the game, than 1-2 extra keepers.

This is very true.........at the same time, I don't want to punish someone too severely who doesn't have a team worthy of using all their "contracts".........and doing this would enable them to rebuild faster, and hopefully get into the playoff mix, more quickly.

Thanks for all the questions..........as it'll help towards building a proper set of rules we can go by, for the league.........any other questions, comments, concerns, or advice you have, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Commissioner's Corner