Mock Draft Central - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mock Draft Central

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mock Draft Central

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Anyone actually paying for a premium account this year when we have a free alternative in Couchmanagers?
Last edited by rookies and cream on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mock Draft Central

Postby The River » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:29 pm

I would never pay for mock drafts in the first place and 3 a week limit on MockDraftCentral is pretty fair as I don't have that much time to do mock drafts. I tried CouchManagers once and it was a ghostown, I personally do not like it.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Yeah I set up an account on couchmanagers but never found a single draft of the type I wanted that was full. The only reason to get a MDC account is for the ADP list in my opinion, otherwise the 3 a week limit is very fair and is more than enough for me. You don't want to do too many mock drafts imo because you are drafting against a pool of people who are all looking at the same ADP charts and strategies and you end up with sort of a group think method of drafting that doesn't simulate your real draft that well.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby byfrcp » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:31 pm

I did. $3.99 for a month isn't too hard to swallow. It's not so much the 3 in one week thing, it's the 1 a day. Sometimes I don't get a chance to do any mocks during the work week, and have time to get 2 in on Saturday or Sunday. I also like the extended ADP and even more so the Trend Report, which shows you where the ADP for players was last week, and 2 weeks prior. Couchmanagers isn't really comparable to MDC.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Field » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:39 pm

I find CouchManagers to be almost unbearable. The layout and overall appearance of the site just irks me. The free mocks at MDC are sufficient for me. I feel that they actually got a lot of publicity this year from being pretty much the only site with somewhat reliable ADPs earlier in the year.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby couchmanagers » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:36 pm

I've heard complains about couchmanagers.com being a ghost town, but haven't heard about the layout being poor. What specifically do you not like?
Free Fantasy Football & Baseball Mock Drafts - CouchManagers.com
couchmanagers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Field » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:18 pm

couchmanagers wrote:I've heard complains about couchmanagers.com being a ghost town, but haven't heard about the layout being poor. What specifically do you not like?

Well, I guess irks probably wasn't the right term for it, but I just doesn't seem like much thought was put into it's layout and design. All of the different elements on the draft page appear to be just thrown together. Unrefined and busy are the two words that come to mind. Plus, the web page doesn't automatically center itself on my browser like almost every other site I have visited.

I do find the league customization elements of the site to be one of it's better attributes and a seperating characteristic from some of the other mock draft sites out there.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 am

This is my first spring in MDC, so I'm hanging with the free account til I get a handle on the site.
Interesting thing, though ... I was in a draft the other night where we had some clown go all pitchers for the first eight rounds or so. He certainly had a nice staff (Santana, Peavy, Bedard, Webb, CZam) and several top closers, but his first hitters were the likes of Loney and Renteria.

Does MDC have a filter to take this stuff out of its ADPs?
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:10 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:This is my first spring in MDC, so I'm hanging with the free account til I get a handle on the site.
Interesting thing, though ... I was in a draft the other night where we had some clown go all pitchers for the first eight rounds or so. He certainly had a nice staff (Santana, Peavy, Bedard, Webb, CZam) and several top closers, but his first hitters were the likes of Loney and Renteria.

I don't imagine so, nor should it. These are real draft strategies that should be quantified the same as draft strategies that are more conventional, or more generally 'accepted'. ADP is a collection of where players are drafted, regardless of who thinks they should be drafted where. Said owner in your draft may use this as his draft strategy outside of just mocks, and if that is the case, I want it included in my ADP report. It's why MDC also has their Highest and Lowest designations alongside the ADP. Furthermore, enough mocks are done that even the more 'outlandish' picks fall prey to being statistical outliers, and are normalized by the vast majority of the more group think drafts.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Geoffrey Stein » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 am

bigh0rt wrote:
AKhomebrewer wrote:This is my first spring in MDC, so I'm hanging with the free account til I get a handle on the site.

I don't imagine so, nor should it. These are real draft strategies that should be quantified the same as draft strategies that are more conventional, or more generally 'accepted'. ADP is a collection of where players are drafted, regardless of who thinks they should be drafted where. Said owner in your draft may use this as his draft strategy outside of just mocks, and if that is the case, I want it included in my ADP report. It's why MDC also has their Highest and Lowest designations alongside the ADP. Furthermore, enough mocks are done that even the more 'outlandish' picks fall prey to being statistical outliers, and are normalized by the vast majority of the more group think drafts.

Good post.

We do trim our ADP quite a bit. If you compare the number of qualifying drafts to the number of actual drafts done on the site, you'll notice one thing: not every draft makes it into the ADP.

For one thing, a certain number of picks in every draft have to be made by a live, human team. I won't give the exact number, but I will tell you that it's higher than 70 percent.

We also eliminate the same amount of outliers off of each end -- highest and lowest. Once again, I won't tell the exact number, but will say that it's enough to make sure what you're seeing is accurate.
Geoffrey Stein
Operations Manager, Mock Draft Central
Geoffrey Stein
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers